• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Items from Old Fort Ord

se3388

On old Ft. Ord (after it was closed) I used my old detector and found approx. 7 rounds of 50 Cal incendiary rounds buried about 6 inches in between some of the old wooden barracks. The area supposedly belonged to the City of Marina at the time but they hadn't done anything with it yet. I also found a rocket launcher from a toy truck and some medals. If I can find the pic's I'll post them. I think this was back around 2000.

Steve.........

On old Ft. Ord (after it was closed) I used my old detector and found approx. 7 rounds of 50 Cal incendiary rounds buried about 6 inches in between some of the old wooden barracks. The area supposedly belonged to the City of Marina at the time but they hadn't done anything with it yet. I also found a rocket launcher from a toy truck and some medals. If I can find the pic's I'll post them. I think this was back around 2000.

Steve.........

Hey Steve, are you talking about where they ripped out all those old barracks (blt. 1940 to 41-ish) north of the REI Sporting goods and shopping center ? We got a lot of coins there (back to wheaties, silver, etc...) when those came out this last summer. But , of course, just common date stuff lost @ '40s to 60s.

As for the bullets, those are a major nuisance at Ft. Ord. So much so, that we got to where we were practically rejecting them (or trying to, at least). Since they read slightly below penny/dime. And since any notions of gold jewelry were very low potential there anyhow.

There are some places at Ft. Ord where, yes, you can dig POUNDS of them. I have a suspicion it's because the boot camp recruits, back in the cold war and vietnam and light-infantry days, had a daily quota of gunnery range drills, where they probably had to use up a certain amount of ammunition, in order to fulfill quotas. So I can imagine that some enterprising guys simply tossed theirs out, and announced "finished". The reason I'm pretty confidant of this , is that I knew a guy who was stationed there in the mid 1980s @ the Light Infantry days. And he said that when they were at the shooting range, they were not allowed to be "done" until the various amounts of ammo had been used up. Otherwise : "No dinner till you're done". So the guys would literally just shoot into the air, as fast as they could, just to finish up the drills. The sergeant would tell them that their next year's budget was based on the amounts used in current years, so their task was to use up the bullets as much as they could . Yup, there's your tax-payer dollars hard at work , eh ? :roll:

And the recycle copper value is about .01c each. But .... I'm not going to spend my time harvesting the stuff. I'll high disc. and scout for silver there :laughing:

It was up in the Northwest area of the Fort I think it was between 2nd Ave and Hwy1 south of the Shopping Center. I remember it was up on a hill. That Shopping Center REI and all that was already there when I found the 50 cal rounds. We were at the Presidio back in 90-91, the second time was 06-10. First time we lived in Monterey, the second time we lived on Elbe Road on Ft. Ord. I had a good friend that lived in Marina the first time we were there, his name was Mike Mills but lost track of him. People called him Mopar Mike because he loved Barracudas. Do you remember an FBI helicopter crashing on Ord back in 91, I was the one that pulled them out. Wasn't fun with that turbine still turning.

Steve..........

Last edited:
what location is that ? I can drive by and take a look. I pass by Planet Ord every day on my commute :lol:

The reason I am asking is that back in 1985 or so I lost something there.
IF the gym is still standing chances are good it's still there.
At the time there was a fad, a flying half soda can! It flew pretty well!
Anyway, it flew into the wooden rafters? LOL. Just bugs me after all this time!
Not sure where the gym is.

Back
Top Bottom