Thinking of a new detector purchase. Help me decide...

Like I said,I'm wasn't trying to split hairs but since you brought a few things up,I'll adress them with my opinion,compared to your opinion.
First, the nox isn't as stable as the 440. The vanquish runs smooth and I've used it in places the Equinox wouldn't settle down. Ergonomics, nox isn't the best,440 is a dream to swing in comparison..I agree the 800 can be set up seven ways to Sunday. And you'll find stuff. Vanquish has limited settings but also finds stuff
I've never set my watch to see how many hours I have in a machine,but I use the nox and vanquish alot .Truth be told I find just about the same amount with both, no mind blowing scratching my head finds from the nox or the vanquish. Both good machines, ease of use vs fiddling and price is what I see seperating them as far as actual finds,and that's what really counts,finds
No one would trade you a nox for your 540, too much difference in price.So that’s not really putting your money where your mouth is. Add $500 and I'll trade you a new 800.
Both are good machines,and like I said no matter how much fiddling your doing are you really finding anything worthwhile day in and day out? If it’s not consistent then what’s the use.
I have a ton of coins,all found. Most are worth a buck or two,some a little more.even these seated dimes etc people post can be bought on eBay for under $20,and if it takes a $650 to $950 ,well the return isn’t that good imo. But hey,it’s all just my opinion,and yours. Good luck to you

I obviously sounded like a jerk to you and that wasn’t my intention. I get the vanquish is a good machine but if you could choose between the 600 and the 440 you would take a 440?

Like I said,I'm wasn't trying to split hairs but since you brought a few things up,I'll adress them with my opinion,compared to your opinion.
First, the nox isn't as stable as the 440. The vanquish runs smooth and I've used it in places the Equinox wouldn't settle down. Ergonomics, nox isn't the best,440 is a dream to swing in comparison..I agree the 800 can be set up seven ways to Sunday. And you'll find stuff. Vanquish has limited settings but also finds stuff
I've never set my watch to see how many hours I have in a machine,but I use the nox and vanquish alot .Truth be told I find just about the same amount with both, no mind blowing scratching my head finds from the nox or the vanquish. Both good machines, ease of use vs fiddling and price is what I see seperating them as far as actual finds,and that's what really counts,finds
No one would trade you a nox for your 540, too much difference in price.So that’s not really putting your money where your mouth is. Add $500 and I'll trade you a new 800.
Both are good machines,and like I said no matter how much fiddling your doing are you really finding anything worthwhile day in and day out? If it’s not consistent then what’s the use.
I have a ton of coins,all found. Most are worth a buck or two,some a little more.even these seated dimes etc people post can be bought on eBay for under $20,and if it takes a $650 to $950 ,well the return isn’t that good imo. But hey,it’s all just my opinion,and yours. Good luck to you

I would add 300 for a nox 800. I initially didn’t even say I would trade for a 800 I said a 600. And as for value of finds or return on invest I never personally thought like that. I initially got into it for researching old home sites and camps. If your in this for return on invest it will take some time for sure. Even longer if you add gas expenses etc.

The equinox 600 is not totally out of the realm of possibility but I do have some concerns about some of the issues people seem to be having, water leakage, coil ears breaking, shaft wobble and pinpointing difficulties. I don't see myself diving or getting into a wet suit but it would be nice to detect some creek beds if the feature is available and not have to worry if I drop or set the machine down in the water to dig. I have done some freshwater beach detecting but stay away from the deep water.

I have only had one issue with the Equinox. That was the wobble in the shaft, and Minelab sent a new one without hesitation. I got to keep the first shaft and it was a super easy fix, using a single wrap of cellophane tape. That gave me two lower shafts I could use, which makes a difference when changing the coils.

I never thought of dunking my Equinox machines. I own 2 machines. I just never go under water. I won't sweat the leaks. About the coil ears breaking? Since I have two lower shafts, a different coil stays mounted on both, and neither is one of the large coils offered.

Going on 3 years and I never had an issue besides that first lower rod wobble. I can't disagree though with the pinpointing except that with time swinging it, the pinpoint zones is easier. I have to still dig off to the side after making a plug.

I will say this. The pinpoint(IMO) went worse with the software updates beyond the original Version 1.5, so I still use that version.

The 600 finds me everything that the 800 does. I didn't like the ML80 headphones bundled in with the 800, the WM08 is in no way worth what ML asks, so mine stays off. I made one hunt with that module and found it glitchy and not a dazzle at all, plus there's still the wire from the HPS to the module.

I coulda never bought an 800 and stayed happy with the 600, all factory. It does find missed treasures other detectors missed. The 800 is just more bells and whistles @ nearly $300 more. JMHO

I have both the Nox 600 and the Vanquish 540. While the 540 works really well and deep I prefer the 600 for it's superior target separation and recovery speed.

Steve

Last edited:
I used to Nox 600 and it has done well for me. From the get-go I had an ear stiffener made so no issues with my coil. I am also a fresh water hunter I make a minimum of twelve trips a summer submerging it completely in chest deep water and have had no issues. But if you are not going to water hunt a waterproof machine is not a necessity.

Deus!!!!! ive hit a few half dimes swinging like a madman when i was done heading home several inches deep :yes:

Well I finally settled on a 540 pro pack. The equinox while I'm sure is great is just too much machine for me. I'll have to learn the differences coming from an ACE 400 but that's okay. Thanks everyone for the input.

Well I finally settled on a 540 pro pack. The equinox while I'm sure is great is just too much machine for me. I'll have to learn the differences coming from an ACE 400 but that's okay. Thanks everyone for the input.

The Equinox is no harder to learn than the 540

The different modes on the 540 have different recovery speed unlike the Garrett so it is a much better detector.
You just need to choose a good mode for your kind of hunting.
Happy hunting 👍

The Equinox is no harder to learn than the 540

Agreed. Be very careful touching the screen it can easily be damaged. It will for sure let you get an idea of how minelab with there nox and vanquish series identify targets. There numbers are different than almost all on the market.

sweet set up! you will love it! have fun!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The different modes on the 540 have different recovery speed unlike the Garrett so it is a much better detector.
You just need to choose a good mode for your kind of hunting.
Happy hunting 👍

generally speaking, i have found out through trial and error that
"jewelry" mode works best for me.i hunt mainly "trashed" parks, schools,
and other public places. the jewelry mode gives the best recovery speed, along with the best depth.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

You, my friend, have picked a great machine. :D Good luck, just know that it's a different TID, you'll get used to it over time. :cool3:

Hope to see some cool finds!

Josh

You, my friend, have picked a great machine. :D Good luck, just know that it's a different TID, you'll get used to it over time. :cool3:

Hope to see some cool finds!

Josh

Thanks bud. Took it out yesterday in my yard for some swing time just to get the feel for the tones and pinpointing. Marked some targets but haven't dug them yet. I'm glad I went with the 540 though because of the backlight. I'm able to go out in the evening when it's cool and still see the display but not attract any attention and mark some targets. (No I'm not a night hawker :cool3:)

Thanks bud. Took it out yesterday in my yard for some swing time just to get the feel for the tones and pinpointing. Marked some targets but haven't dug them yet. I'm glad I went with the 540 though because of the backlight. I'm able to go out in the evening when it's cool and still see the display but not attract any attention and mark some targets. (No I'm not a night hawker :cool3:)

Red backlight... It's just a bit, uh, hard to look at (or cause strain) for me. Did you get the pro pack or just the detector? You can take some Bluetooth (Needs to be APTX LL) and pair it up. It's awesome without wires... :D

Josh

Red backlight... It's just a bit, uh, hard to look at (or cause strain) for me. Did you get the pro pack or just the detector? You can take some Bluetooth (Needs to be APTX LL) and pair it up. It's awesome without wires... :D

Josh

I actually like the red backlight for the same reason airplane pilots do. It's not obnoxious and doesn't disturb my night vision and is less attention getting. I got the pro pack and I really like the headphones. Haven't had the chance to try the 8 inch coil yet. I'm just taking it one step at a time. Step 1 is getting used to the tones to find and accurately pinpoint targets and dig them up, anything goes here. Step 2 is learning the target IDs and being able to discriminate better and is going to be the biggest learn curve I think coming from an ACE 400. I'm so used to TIDs and the bell tone on the ACE. But it will come. The machine swings really nicely and is well balanced.

I was in my nearby metal detecting store and asked about the 8" coil for the Vanquish. Dealer went to look for a price and said he was surprised to see it is only available with the propack, you cannot buy it individually.

So if you want a small coil better buy it up front with the package.

Back
Top Bottom