Dream permission! PIC HEAVY!! Continued updates!

Wow it keeps coming! That is a great seal button on the bottom right. It looks like it might have been black at one time. If so, it would be WWI. They were black or gilt from 1910-1917, black only from 1917-1923, and gilt only thereafter. Nice hunting.

Wow it keeps coming! That is a great seal button on the bottom right. It looks like it might have been black at one time. If so, it would be WWI. They were black or gilt from 1910-1917, black only from 1917-1923, and gilt only thereafter. Nice hunting.

Thank you for the ID! Thats #2 here!

Spent some more time at the townsite today, but the yields werent as good as yesterday. I decided to hunt mostly closer to the river where most of the good signals ended up being junk, or something deep and huge that was better left alone.

20210514_161052 (2).jpg
Only 5 coins today: a 1924 buff, and 4 wheats....most of the wheats I have found here are in the teens.

20210514_161039 (2).jpg
Relics werent bad: a couple of bottle caps, Im sure the Old Quaker brand was purely medicinal! Zip tab, buttons, 2 minser tags, broken teaspoon, half bit toke for drink (F.H. MEYER on the reverse), the folded object is a token, and a neat brooch that still had its stones and color.

monarch14 (2).jpg
Illustration of the townsite (date unknown). Off of the pic and to the right was a pool hall that burned down in 1930. We have found several coins and tokens in that area. I have more old photos that I came across, and will post them later.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

A good relic and token day at the townsite

20210516_180243 (2).jpg
Oscar Nelson and Cracker Jack tokens

20210516_180300 (2).jpg
1907 V, 1941 Jefferson nickels, and 1 wheat

20210516_180312 (2).jpg
Lipstick tube, lure (surprised we havent found more of those), Dietz miners tag, lock face, locket with gold plate? it was heavy, and several buttons.

20210430_113528 (2).jpg
The townsite when we first started hunting in late April. My buddy is near one of the old roads. The alfalfa is starting to make it a challenge to swing in some places.

Went out to the townsite today to meet up with my buddy for some more huntin. When I got there, the hands were spraying the field, so I stayed up on the hillside and hunted where the store once sat. I found a homemade chisel there, and a little gold colored box (snuff?). Unfortunately my buddy was on the field and went over by the river upwind to wait till the sprayer was done.

20210517_165350 (2).jpg
Found two mining tags, 2 wheats, 1904 V nickel, oil lamp dial, old concave button, and an advertising thimble.

20210517_152543 (2).jpg
Non dug example of the oil lamp dial. Didnt know what it was until I looked up the manufacturers name.

Cropped Aerial Photo 7-19-1946.jpg
1946 aerial view of the townsite.

A neighbor stopped by to ask about what we were finding, so I spent some time talking with him. Great guy! I went back to where I was hunting the day before, and found most of the other items. Most of the other stuff I dug was junk.

Last edited:
Another productive day at the townsite. It started out slowly at first where I left off from yesterday, and found a few miners tags, a brass wedge, and some lead. I detected towards my truck so I could get the lead out of my pouch, and found a wheat and another miners tag. Then I hunted across an area where I did a grid a few weeks ago, and found another miners tag and another wheat, but for the most part it was quiet. I crossed back over to work my way back to the truck, and thats where I found the neat key, the Aussie shilling, and the merc. It is also one of the areas where many family homes were.

20210518_164051 (2).jpg
1939 Aussie shilling, 1925 merc, Great western hotel token, and 4 wheats. It was nice to break the short silver dry spell.

20210518_170204 (2).jpg
Half of a 1920s Norida compact, skeleton key, and miners tags.

20210518_170222 (2).jpg
Coverall buttons, aluminum cap that is very delicate, valve stem cover?, brass wedge, and I have no idea what that is at the bottom.

Between the finds and the junk, I feel like Ive dug enough holes to plant a small forest. I have a 5 gallon bucket in the back of my truck that is getting full of junk, brass, and lead, so eventually Ill have to head over to the recycler. I have until mid June to hunt there, but with the barley at around 5" now, Im not sure if Ill make it to the end of this month.

The neighbor said that they would probably plow in the fall which would bring up some more coins and relics for next year!

Today at the townsite I concentrated around the area where most of the single family homes ones stood and dug a bonanza in wheat pennies, and some assorted relics.

20210519_154441 (2).jpg
Play money quarter from the 1930s, spoon or fork end (plate), button, Life Check tag? Neat pin with the backing gone, it has a shield with an arrow through it and a word on the shield thats been rubbed, and a R.N. of A. brooch? that I think is masonic.

20210519_154600 (2).jpg
Reverse of the play money quarter. Mazuma was a chewing gum Co. from the 30's, and I guess these coins came in the boxes with the gum.

20210519_154500 (2).jpg
Coins - 1944 merc, 1905 IHP, and 12 wheats.

I use an old townsite map to plan my hunt here, and detect in a wide zig zag pattern as Im still getting and idea of where potential hot spots are located. Ive pinpointed several, but to actually grid here would be an undertaking.

Last edited:
How are the snakes? Are they starting to be a pain?

I havent seen any yet. They sprayed herbicide that is killing off the alfalfa, and with the barley only about 5" high the ground is still visible to see if anything is slithering around. The grassy areas surrounding the field are getting taller, so I tend to stay away from there for the most part. Might have to invest in some snake gaiters.

Went out for a couple of hours again today to hunt around the area where the school once stood. I found mostly relics and several wheats, but then a cold front moved through and the temp dropped along with rain, so we left.

20210520_162515 (3).jpg
3 kids belt buckles, 2 miners tags, 3 wheats, 4 buttons, and a UMWA union pin.

20210520_162604 (2).jpg
A closer view of the union pin, which is hard to read, shows it to have belonged to a union delegate who was involved in the negotiations for an 8 hour work day back in 1898. There were strikes here, and in one of the nearby mining townsites things got a little ugly.

Its been a couple of days since I went out to the townsite because the weather has been !!!! with 40 degree highs, rain, and 70% humidity. But this morning we had a club get together where 6 folks showed up for a good time. Unfortunately I probably spent more time chewing the fat with people I hadnt seen in awhile, then swinging the coil, but I was able to find some cool finds.

20210522_135353 (2).jpg
Two nice mostly flat miners tags, and the one marked WC which I hadnt seen yet (company gear tag?), 1891 IHP, 1937D buff, wiped wheat, nice button, and a fer de lance brooch that rang up like a nickel.

On of my cohorts found a token for the school there. A school token is something Ive never seen before, and one being dedicated to this particular school, that doesnt exist anymore, has got to be rare.

Thanks of looking and HH!

Today was an off day. The EMI in the area I was hunting was annoying, but I did manage to find several items, and parts of others that arent pictured.

20210523_201649 (2).jpg
The top items is a large coin like disk thats covered in grunge. Definitely not a miners tag, but I may have to resort to drastic measure to clean it up. Found three wheats, all mid 1940s, a button top that says "The ????????" St. Paul, and a good for 5 cents in trade/Victory Bell token.

20210523_213426 (2).jpg
I also found this lead caboose that appears to have "American" embossed on the left side, and a number on the right.

There were some broken parts of relics that I didnt include that had etchings on them.

Todays finds at the townsite:

20210524_173959 (2).jpg
Coins & tokens: broken chinese coin?, 1937 buff & 1899 V nickels, 1905 IHP. 'Property of OK vendor/Loaned for Amusement only' token

More info here: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia58263.html

20210524_174424 (2).jpg
Relics: miners tags, hood ornament?, clock gear, locket back, lure, buttons, and a thimble.

I also found a fishing reel, and what I think is a miners lamp. Both are in bad shape.

The weathers been bitter cold over the last several days, but I did make it out for an hour today, and found 2 pennies and a token.

20210527_160447 (2).jpg
1919 wheat, 1900 IHP, and a "Good for 5 cents in trade/18120" token.

I have found quite a few 1919 wheats here, and a good number of IHPs. These numbered trade tokens are interesting, and some of the ones we have found have a "CC" stamped on them which we are trying to figure out what the significance of that is.

I have less than a week left to hunt this place, and once Im finished, Ill post a picture of the totals.

Amazing finds TommyJay! Love all the juicy pics! Any chance you could probe for outhouse pits to find old Wyoming bottles?

Amazing finds TommyJay! Love all the juicy pics! Any chance you could probe for outhouse pits to find old Wyoming bottles?

Thanks, David. The maps dont detail where the outhouses were. It would be easy, but time consuming to find them with a probe. The river runs next to the old townsite, but right now its too high from the snow melt. We thought about looking for bottles there when we first started, but the MDing prevailed. We will take a look for them in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom