More eyes on this please...mystery solved?

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
Pulled this from an old, small town park about a month ago. At the time it was full of dirt and I couldn't see anything on and just figured it was a piece of trash. I just couldn't get over the shape though, so threw it in the center console of the car. Well, after sitting there for a month, I took it out and cleaned it up a bit. Low and behold, writing and a picture. I can make out the name Brandon, but can't quite tell what the picture is or read what looks like potentially other letters/numerals. The top 1/4 of it has been taco'd, making it even harder to ID. Any ideas would be appreciated.

After further cleaning and examination. The medallion seems to say "InterProvincial Fair" across the top, which is the part that has been taco'd. It says "July" on the left and "1923" on the right. It says "BrandonMan" across the bottom. Some more internet sleuthing has led me to the conclusion that this must be a medallion from a Provincial Fair in Brandon, Manitoba in the July of 1923. They still hold this farming fair to this day. I was able to find newspaper references to the 1923 fair talking about the types of animals shown.

The only question that remains, and one that will most likely never be solved. How did it get from Brandon, Manitoba in 1923 into the ground and under my coil in a small town park in Central Iowa in April of 2021???

Thanks to all who attempted to help, your efforts are appreciated!

Attachments

• BrandonMan update 1.jpg
    BrandonMan update 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 297
  • BrandonMan update 2.jpg
    BrandonMan update 2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 263
  • BrandonMan update 3.jpg
    BrandonMan update 3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 269
  • BrandonMan update 4.jpg
    BrandonMan update 4.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
There is a town named Brandon in Iowa

Now how did you know that? I had to google maps it and realized I've driven past that town on the Interstate probably dozens of times. In an unrelated note, Brandon, Iowa is home to the world's largest frying pan. :laughing: Don't believe me? Look it up:D

In an unrelated note, Brandon, Iowa is home to the world's largest frying pan. :laughing: Don't believe me? Look it up:D
On a semi-related note, I know it's old but didya ever see the movie "Michael"?. Great lil 80's movie. But they stop by a lot of those "attractions" on their journey and IIRC that's one of them.
We now return to our regularly scheduled whatzit ID. :cool3:

On a semi-related note, I know it's old but didya ever see the movie "Michael"?. Great lil 80's movie. But they stop by a lot of those "attractions" on their journey and IIRC that's one of them.

I don't believe so Hawg, I'll have to check that one out, right up my alley!

I invented going to attractions.

Back
Top Bottom