First time out- Junk and new friends!

1715Hunter

Got up the nerve to go to the local park yesterday.

I'm shy and nervous about digging in public, but I needn't have worried. Overcast and cool, only a couple of kids and their adult units.
Wound up talking to a guy who has a very historic property, where a VERY historically significant local woman was born, and he said there's a dump next to it from the 1800's. Said I'm welcome to detect- hopefully that will happen!

Wound up digging the usual junk, but also surrounded by little tykes fascinated by what I was doing- they all wanted to dig and use the carrot, rather than use the playground! What is the appeal of digging in dirt?

The other bonus? Handed out some business cards, and practiced my turf digging technique!

First, good on you for getting out. I get the public parks thing, always a little anxious at first. And the kids are always curious, A couple weeks back I had a little girl follow me for over an hour, I was relieved when finally her parents told her it was time to go. Patience, neat plugs and perception are all a big part when mding. Now the invite you got from the old guy, I say follow up and soon. More than once I lost a good opportunity him-hawing around. Good luck and good hunting. Mark

Got up the nerve to go to the local park yesterday.

I'm shy and nervous about digging in public, but I needn't have worried. Overcast and cool, only a couple of kids and their adult units.
Wound up talking to a guy who has a very historic property, where a VERY historically significant local woman was born, and he said there's a dump next to it from the 1800's. Said I'm welcome to detect- hopefully that will happen!

Wound up digging the usual junk, but also surrounded by little tykes fascinated by what I was doing- they all wanted to dig and use the carrot, rather than use the playground! What is the appeal of digging in dirt?

The other bonus? Handed out some business cards, and practiced my turf digging technique!

Now that's what I call "business" :lol:. Great! You gotcha first permission. I am currently hunting very very crowded parks in the middle of ****** and ****** (my secret!), blissfully scared to knock on doors. :roll:

I don't want you to shoo those kids off, but when they start turning the sensitivity to one (that's what happened to me...) and you hunt thinking "that ain't so bad" and find no targets, My my I want to kick myself. So, lesson learned, don't give a detector to a kid, they might smash it against a tree... (thank god the simplex is built so strong... and that tree was humongous.)

Josh

Hey, don't feel bad, I had to overcome being nervous when first digging places other than my own property :lol: but once I started I realized, hey, it's no big deal.

Definitely would consider following up on detecting that 1800's property !

If it had not yet been detected you might be in for a nice "treasure hunt" with what you might find :shock: :lol:

Now that's what I call "business" :lol:. Great! You gotcha first permission. I am currently hunting very very crowded parks in the middle of ****** and ****** (my secret!), blissfully scared to knock on doors. :roll:

I don't want you to shoo those kids off, but when they start turning the sensitivity to one (that's what happened to me...) and you hunt thinking "that ain't so bad" and find no targets, My my I want to kick myself. So, lesson learned, don't give a detector to a kid, they might smash it against a tree... (thank god the simplex is built so strong... and that tree was humongous.)

Josh
Well, LUCKILY the speaker on the detector doesn't work, and I only have ear buds- so no sharing! They DID love the Carrot, and had a great time with it!

Glad I’m not the only one. I used to only hunt wooded areas but this year I’ve started hunting parks and more public areas just before dark or first thing in the morning when nobody is around. I’m working my way up to full sunny day hunts In crowded parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, if you ever come over to the west side of the Hudson, let me know!
Have you ever been to Highland Landing? I found some really cool pottery bits there.

Glad I’m not the only one. I used to only hunt wooded areas but this year I’ve started hunting parks and more public areas just before dark or first thing in the morning when nobody is around. I’m working my way up to full sunny day hunts In crowded parks.

Did you find much in wooded areas?
Although, wooded areas (like my property) often were grazing land.

Did you find much in wooded areas?
Although, wooded areas (like my property) often were grazing land.

There’s not as many targets out in the woods as a park or play ground so It can get frustrating going for a long time without a single beep but all my oldest stuff has come from the woods. I’ve never found a colonial buckle in a park but on the other hand I’ve never come home with a pocket full of change from the woods. Depends on the mood your in. Want a target rich environment with lots of digging hit a park. Want to be alone with less signals but the chance of a colonial shoe buckle or button hit the woods

Nice job on your first hunt, Adrienne! It's definitely a good thing to get some practice digging your plugs. And it's always nice to make a new friend!

When I was new to detecting, playgrounds were among the first locations that I tried. As you said, the children - and in some cases grown-ups, too - are often attracted to the metal detector. Yet, in my own experience, these interactions with curious onlookers have been positive ones. :thumbsup:

Nice job on your first hunt, Adrienne! It's definitely a good thing to get some practice digging your plugs. And it's always nice to make a new friend!

When I was new to detecting, playgrounds were among the first locations that I tried. As you said, the children - and in some cases grown-ups, too - are often attracted to the metal detector. Yet, in my own experience, these interactions with curious onlookers have been positive ones. :thumbsup:
To clarify- this is my first local hunt, on grass. I’ve done some beaches, but this is my first time in the dirt, other than my own property.

Back
Top Bottom