• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

preserving salty large cents

capteider

we just stumbled on a spot with a bunch large cents. most are totally toasted but my son founf one that "not bad". in the past i have just soaked copper objects in fresh water then licked them. if they didnt taste salty ...done.
sometimes this works other times, the objects get green and crumble. i know there is a better way...but till now i really didn't care. any hints??

I found with the LC, and other old coppers, nothing works besides dry it out and toothpick. I took some bad ones and tried all the oils, cleaners, dissolvers, even my sonic cleaner. Each coin comes out black and worse than when I started.

I also found the old coppers features are removed with cleaning as well. Sometimes the corrosion is what's left of the feature and when you knock it off, it's gone.

I agree with EmuDetector, crusty large cents are best left alone. Just a gentle water rinse to get the loose dirt off and toothpick a little to reveal some highlights, I only clean them when they are in really good shape with plenty of detail. I have yet to find anything that really works good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They honestly have no collector value except to maybe someone who needs to complete a set. However, one of the best ways to bring back the natural color (because they tend to seem crusty and turn orange if cleaned) and preserve this is mineral oil.

Back
Top Bottom