Big, old cartridge case help

upstatedigger

Forum Supporter
Dug in a field. This kind of mystified me because I’ve never dug anything like it. Rimfire, overall case length about 1.17 inches, kind of smushed but that’s the longest straight section. Diameter at base is .64 inches, and marked “U”, which I’m pretty sure is Union Metallic Cartridge company. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what specific round this is. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Attachments

• 23CC181F-1021-4D5B-A8AB-0CE4F77FA96E.jpg
    23CC181F-1021-4D5B-A8AB-0CE4F77FA96E.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 371
Looks like cliff got it. I poured through all of the other the big bore rimfires I know of and the case measurements all fell short.

Thanks gentlemen... I appreciate it. I’m not sure how close the tolerances were back then, but this definitely measures bigger than that. Maybe still a 50 , but the case dimensions bigger. Thanks for the input and I ll keep looking. Was looking at Spencer 56/50 that looks close.

Thanks gentlemen... I appreciate it. I’m not sure how close the tolerances were back then, but this definitely measures bigger than that. Maybe still a 50 , but the case dimensions bigger. Thanks for the input and I ll keep looking. Was looking at Spencer 56/50 that looks close.
The case length I found on the Spencer was under 1".

Cliff

did you measure the widest part of the base? if so we need the tube measurement not the base of the rimfire.

did you measure the widest part of the base? if so we need the tube measurement not the base of the rimfire.

The rim is .64. I just measured the base, it is somewhat deformed. Smallest is about .53, widest is about .62. So ... maybe about .57 average before being deformed. Hope that’s helpful!

From Curtiss Steinhauer's cartridge database, in inches:

rim diameter: 0.638

base diameter: 0.557

neck diameter: 0.517

case length: 1.15

Fairly close i think, unless the database is wrong

Voriax
You are correct. I can't find what I saw before but it was .857" I think.

Cliff

This may be the Spencer I saw and wasn’t able to find again. When I looked again all I found were the shorter variants, but was relatively certain the first time I looked I found a Spencer that was close. Maybe I ll never know, but that’s the closest I’ve seen.

Back
Top Bottom