Question about permission & finds

1715Hunter

This might seem obvious to you experienced hunters, but when you ask for permission to dig up someone’s property, do to offer to:
Split finds, report all finds, or do people say “sure, just keep everything”?

I can’t seem to actually find any protocols on the forums
Thanks,
-Adrienne

This might seem obvious to you experienced hunters, but when you ask for permission to dig up someone’s property, do to offer to:
Split finds, report all finds, or do people say “sure, just keep everything”?

I can’t seem to actually find any protocols on the forums
Thanks,
-Adrienne

I always just tell them : "You're welcome to anything I find". And I have NEVER had anyone holding out their hands, at the conclusion, saying "Give it all to me". And even if they seem to say they want everything (which has almost never happened), I will already have something that I want (a key-date coin, or a valuable trade-token or buckle, etc...) and : When we're looking at all the items on the table, I'll push that one to the side and say : "Here's a token I don't have for my collection". Or "Here's a coin that will fill out the missing slot in my coin-collection". And "So is it ok if that one is for me ?". And I have never had anyone tell me "no".

The trouble with STARTING with some sort of talk about "how to split" (as if, you're talking in legal terms), is that it only raises red-flags. Ie.: As if you're about to find something very valuable, in the first place. And if/when you don't find something "super valuable", then you begin to look might silly. As if they're now thinking "Gee, what was all that about ?" :?:

And if you start talking legal jargon, that's the FASTEST way to get a "no", before you even start. It just raises red flags as if there's going to be problems. Ie.: Putting a contract in front of a total stranger to sign, is the FASTEST way to get a "no".

So just go with a big smile, a handshake, etc.... JMHO

Also, I would not define md'ing as "digging up someone's property". Just use the euphemism "metal detecting". No need to conjure up images in someone's mind that you're going to "leave holes all over their property". You intend to leave no trace, right ? (cover, stomp, fluff. Right ?) So why plant images in their mind that you are going to be "digging up their property" ?

Hello sir, would you mind if I run my metal detector around this yard? I collect old coins and there might be one here if I'm lucky. If I find anything awesome you are welcome to it but I don't know, I've been striking out lately so who knows. Last year I found a nice coin but the market is saturated, so its not like the they're worth much. thanks for letting me detect sir.

Thanks to you both.
Tom, I wouldn't be "digging up people's yards"- obviously I would fill holes, and not dig up plants. etc- but that might be THEIR impression. Frankly, I'm kind of trepidatious about the whole idea; that's why I want to know if there is a specific protocol. I think I would just offer to show them everything, and each pick some stuff. Gotta get a permission FIRST, then actually FIND something- so maybe I'm worried for nothing.
Every time hubby and I drive around our very old and historic area, all I look at is what fields and barns might be good spots- just the way I longingly look at any beach!
-A

I have a couple permissions where the owners asked me to show them what I found. I think some of that is due to their being curious about what is there, but those properties have been in the same family going back to the early 1700's so much of that curiosity is driven by family history.

When they've shown interest in something I've found - and it has always been an item that likely has a historical tie to their ancestors - I have simply insisted that they keep those items. I'm not really into relics; but even if I was, the found items hold far more meaning for them than they ever could for me.

The benefit for me is an open invitation to hunt when I'd like and I learn a bit more about local history.

The only other times someone has mentioned anything about items that I might find is when they make a joke about splitting any treasure chests full of gold.

I'm fine with that too.... should I be so lucky.

Most people simply don't care.

I do make it a point to show the trash I've dug (when possible). Most people seem to be strongly in favor of having such items removed from their property.

I let them bring up the finds first when asking for the permission. If they ask about them I tell them I'll show them all the finds or if they're interested in them I would split them with the owner having first choice. If they want all the finds, I tell them thanks but no thanks then (but politely said). To much effort for me unearthing the finds to to walk away with nothing to show for it, save for some special club hunts. But that's just me.

I had a bad experience with the owner confiscating my very first Walker half and I won't let that happen again. She was convinced that there was nothing of value in her yard but she insisted on watching me recover a few targets, just to see I wasn't damaging her already destroyed yard. When I popped it out from under a tree , she all of the sudden wanted to keep it and became much more interested in what I was doing.
When seeking permission, I don't bring up the subject of sharing anything. If the property owner does, I tell them that if I find anything that is readily identifiable as to who once owned it, I am glad to return it. Then I ask if they remember losing anything that I might find. The answer is always " no". I they ask if I ever find anything valuable, I tell them that I find a few old coins and and an occasional ring or two but nothing that would get me to retirement any sooner, and that mostly I dig garbage but always hope for something better. All of that is true.
Some may find this practice unethical but I have 2 compartments for recovered objects in my belt pouch, 1 is for trash and zincolns, and 1 is for clad, wheaties and uninteresting relics. The property owner is welcome to any and all from those compartments. Any old coins or jewelry goes in my front pocket, not to see the light again until I get home.

I had a bad experience with the owner confiscating my very first Walker half and I won't let that happen again. She was convinced that there was nothing of value in her yard but she insisted on watching me recover a few targets, just to see I wasn't damaging her already destroyed yard. When I popped it out from under a tree , she all of the sudden wanted to keep it and became much more interested in what I was doing.
When seeking permission, I don't bring up the subject of sharing anything. If the property owner does, I tell them that if I find anything that is readily identifiable as to who once owned it, I am glad to return it. Then I ask if they remember losing anything that I might find. The answer is always " no". I they ask if I ever find anything valuable, I tell them that I find a few old coins and and an occasional ring or two but nothing that would get me to retirement any sooner, and that mostly I dig garbage but always hope for something better. All of that is true.
Some may find this practice unethical but I have 2 compartments for recovered objects in my belt pouch, 1 is for trash and zincolns, and 1 is for clad, wheaties and uninteresting relics. The property owner is welcome to any and all from those compartments. Any old coins or jewelry goes in my front pocket, not to see the light again until I get home.
That's what I am worried about-I can certainly see the owner's point of view- if they're not getting anything, why would they give permission?

I like the 2 compartment (or is it 3?) strategy...sneaky! Or, should I say cunning?!
Thanks for the input.

When I ask for permission I tell them I will give them anything I find relating to the history of the house. Works and never had a problem.

Steve

Had a friend that when i asked permission to detect some lots she had inherited she said certainly but i get everything that you find.

I Never found time to go detect the property and she sold it before i got time.

I have had home owners ask if i had found anything and i pull out a half pouch of trash and show them and say just a few coins and lots of trash.

.... she said certainly but i get everything that you find....

After people say something off-the-cuff like that, I have never had anyone actually take and claim "everything". I'll typically show them everything I found, on the tailgate of my truck or their porch. And I'll already have something in mind that I want (a key date coin, or a trade token, or whatever). And I'll push that one to the side and say "Here's one I don't have for my collection. Can I have this one ?" And I've never had anyone say "no".

So I never take it too seriously if someone says "I get everything". Also, even if it's true that they might actually demand everything, I'll still hunt the place. Because I can get pix, for my own show & tell purposes, and still fun to hunt.

After people say something off-the-cuff like that, I have never had anyone actually take and claim "everything". I'll typically show them everything I found, on the tailgate of my truck or their porch. And I'll already have something in mind that I want (a key date coin, or a trade token, or whatever). And I'll push that one to the side and say "Here's one I don't have for my collection. Can I have this one ?" And I've never had anyone say "no".

So I never take it too seriously if someone says "I get everything". Also, even if it's true that they might actually demand everything, I'll still hunt the place. Because I can get pix, for my own show & tell purposes, and still fun to hunt.

Great post.

Ask.

So what if they say no?

Try until you get a yes.
I'll say "Thank you anyway"...I'm not going to melt like the Wicked Witch!

I did email this beautiful tiny old historic chapel nearby that they use for weddings, but I never go a reply. I guess I'll wait and try again. I have my eye on a couple of places that I will pursue, if the damn weather would get better- don't want to dig wet clay.
In the meantime, I'm hitting a nearby park this week.

With all these comments, I will HAVE to do it, or get called CHICKEN!

Back
Top Bottom