Which detector the best

james45

Elite Member
When it comes to m/l detectors which one seems to be the best?
1.--E-TRAC
2.--EQUINOX----600
3.--EQUINOX-----800
4.---CRT 3030:?:

James45
you listed two detectors that are well known for their abilities on medium and high conductors and for their outstanding target IDs. They are also known for having fairly slow recovery speeds, excellent depth and are also fairly heavy.

You also listed two detectors that are known for their abilities on medium and low conductors, extreme sensitivity to tiny targets, good target IDs, good depth and fairly good ergonomics.

So, comparing the first two FBS detectors with the two Multi IQ detectors all depends on what one is hunting.

If your question had been what is the best detector of these four when looking specifically for deep silver high conductors the answer is easy.

If you question had been what is the best all around detector for a wide variety of targets and a wide variety of target sizes, especially low and mid conductors but with high conductor capabilities too, along with fast recovery speed in thick trash, and can detect in just about any detecting environment including high mineralization, the answer is easy.

If I had enough money and still had the desire to swing a really heavy detector without a harness for silver and wanted a different detector for the rest of my detecting scenarios I would probably go with a CTX 3030 and the Equinox.

So, which one is best is not a fair question in an apples and oranges comparison.

Last edited:
james45: said:

1.--E-TRAC
2.--EQUINOX----600
3.--EQUINOX-----800
4.---CRT 3030
If you are only asking about m/l (Minelab) detectors, I feel you should add the three Vanquish models as well since many detecting hobbyists either can't afford, or do not want, to spent a higher-dollar amount. And if e are only talking about currently available, add the Safari You could also add some former FBS models as well, like the Explorer II and Explorer SE / SE Pro. Thus the Minelab List could look like this, in alphabetical order:

1.-- CRT 3030
2.-- EQUINOX----600
3.-- EQUINOX-----800
4.-- E-TRAC
5.-- EXPLORER II
6.-- EXPLORER SE / SE PRO
7.-- VANQUISH 340
8.-- VANQUISH 440
9.-- VANQUISH 540 / 540 PRO PACK

And that's only limiting it to FBS, FBS II and Multi-IQ series models, not the earlier BBS units.

Then you ask: "... which one seems to be the best?" and that can make it difficult for many avid detectorists to narrow a choice down to only one model. Even tougher is tat not only do mast people have two or more detectors, what is 'best' might really mean what do they now and like and currently use and fell is the best value and best performance for them and their needs.

For me the question is also difficult because I have owned and used over a half-dozen Explorer series models and liked what they can do for open-area silver coin hunting and would rate them high, but due to my health and mobility limitations I don't own them anymore because I can't enjoy their terrible weight and balance design. Also, I do a lot of detecting in some dense iron debris and some listed models are terrible in those conditionas, and also are not very good on lower-conductive targets such as a US 5¢ or gold jewelry.

But of that longer list, if I had to select my favorite three 'best-performing' SMF Minelab models, they would be:

1.-- Equinox 800
2.-- Explorer II
3.-- Vanquish 540 Pro Pack

I could use them all since their performance can complement each other, and then select the best coils for where I'd use them.

Now, if you were asking about a 'personal best SMF detector' regardless of company, you could add the White's DFX, V3 and V3i, of which I wouldn't select any of them. Or the Fisher CZ-3D, CZ-5, CZ-6's, or CZ-7 / 70's, but again, none of those would be my pick. And finally you could add the Garrett Apex, and that would then change my 'Top 3' choices ... for me and my wants and needs and sites I hunt. It would be:

1.-- Apex
2.-- Equinox 800
3.-- Explorer II

Have owned them all, got to know them and appreciate what they can do, learned their weaknesses, and with the right set of coils I'd be fine for almost all of my detecting needs ... now and into the future.

Monte

I like my Etrac. Runs pretty good in hot ground and I like the way the redesigned Trash Density High setting for the Etrac works. (I saw they put it in the CTX3030, too).

I also like the flat ferrous line of the Etrac, it makes it easier to hunt with a fully open screen. I didn't think I would take to the Etrac after the Exp II, but I did.

Good Luck!

Although the NOX's are all the rage right now, I've heard more ongoing satisfaction with the E-Trac than any other. I think maybe the 3030 outclasses it a bit but is also way more expensive. Next in line is the 800 and last the 600. I haven't owned any of these, to tell the truth but I do listen very carefully to what is said by many sources and try to add it up.

Best bang for the buck is (sigh) probably the Nox 800, but they seem to be creeping up in price. If I could afford it I'd probably go for the Etrac just for better build, features and UI. It's a little too pricey for me right now, but not as hopelessly out of reach as the 3030.

FYI, I've also heard that the 600 gives up nothing in depth and target ID to the 800. Just a few bells and whistles that some might care about and other don't, which ultimately won't affect your MD'ing success.

So here's how I would do it:
Buy the 600 and play with it for awhile while saving some money.
Then sell it and buy an Etrac.

Although the NOX's are all the rage right now, I've heard more ongoing satisfaction with the E-Trac than any other. I think maybe the 3030 outclasses it a bit but is also way more expensive. Next in line is the 800 and last the 600. I haven't owned any of these, to tell the truth but I do listen very carefully to what is said by many sources and try to add it up.

Best bang for the buck is (sigh) probably the Nox 800, but they seem to be creeping up in price. If I could afford it I'd probably go for the Etrac just for better build, features and UI. It's a little too pricey for me right now, but not as hopelessly out of reach as the 3030.

FYI, I've also heard that the 600 gives up nothing in depth and target ID to the 800. Just a few bells and whistles that some might care about and other don't, which ultimately won't affect your MD'ing success.

So here's how I would do it:
Buy the 600 and play with it for awhile while saving some money.
Then sell it and buy an Etrac.

When hunting in Multi the same frequencies are used by both the 600 and 800, and that is I what I use most of the time. I could not justify the $300 price difference for a small amount of adjustability between the two and went with the 600.

When hunting in Multi the same frequencies are used by both the 600 and 800, and that is I what I use most of the time. I could not justify the $300 price difference for a small amount of adjustability between the two and went with the 600.

Yes! Thats what I mean. I dont need to pay for bells and whistles. (I dont earn 6 figures a year and I have a house to support.) Same as with the Vanquish series. I see NO important reason to go 540 over 440 unless you just want it. Even 340 is only a matter of less ease and convenience in tweaking. You have less hands-on control but its not really a less "powerful" machine, per se. You dont get power windows and seats, but it runs the same. Those 100's of $ probably wont add up to significantly more finds.

But everyone seems to want to jump Minelab's bandwagon and whistle Dixie.

Elite member since 2011 asks that question....and actually draws replies.
Rattlehead is on the money....CRT all day. I think they have a warmer picture and aren’t as prone to power surges. A little heavy, yes. But they do handle EMI well. And it has 11 built in channels....

Yes! Thats what I mean. I dont need to pay for bells and whistles. (I dont earn 6 figures a year and I have a house to support.) Same as with the Vanquish series. I see NO important reason to go 540 over 440 unless you just want it. Even 340 is only a matter of less ease and convenience in tweaking. You have less hands-on control but its not really a less "powerful" machine, per se. You dont get power windows and seats, but it runs the same. Those 100's of $ probably wont add up to significantly more finds.

But everyone seems to want to jump Minelab's bandwagon and whistle Dixie.

Adjustable iron bias might be important to some people, especially in trashy areas. And others may really want wireless audio.

I think the additional discrimination segments could also be a possible "important" factor for some, too.

You left off the most important part of your question.. best for????

I have them all but my answer would vary depending on the situation you put me in.

There is a reason i own all of them and have not sold any of them.

1.--E-TRAC
2.--EQUINOX----600
3.--EQUINOX-----800
4.---CRT 3030:?:

vanquish 540.get it done for fun for "none!"
remarkable value in "multi-iq"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom