Odd stone with numbers

tramsey1

So, out working the other day I ran across this rectangular stone standing on the bank of a small creek seemingly in the middle of nowhere.

It’s a little hard to make out in the photo but it appears to have some numbers painted on it. They were painted on two sides of the stone. The other two sides were bare.

Just curious if anyone has found something similar or if anyone has an idea as to what it could be. My first thought was a property marker and the numbers were township and range. But after looking up what those numbers would be for this area, they don’t match up with what I can make out on the stone.

Looking forward to any thoughts or discussion.

22e877dd9d30eadfc194e60eaeef7ca7.jpg

6eb1cccad57216d033418b9950c13865.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably just something a surveyor put on them.

What's the general location of the stone? Major city within a hundred miles or so would help.

Or it could just be a date. 11-19-69.

As a former survey assistant/soil tech, I can tell you we did chisel information on rocks sometimes, usually with a deep "x" on top for inserting your rod tip.

Note the line under the 9. That is something surveyors do sometimes to asure that a 6 can be discerned from a 9 and visa versa. They made us do that every time we put lathe with numbers in the ground.

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, and the legibility on the numbers is pretty bad. It almost looks like 4 -(something)-99, and then 62 underneath. I'm wondering if the 62 could be a lot# ...OR... possibly the number of the leg or spur in a traverse line.

In surveying, when you are marking points on a line, you write it like this "X + XX"... where the first X = 100's of feet and the XX = number of single feet within the next 100. So for example, 497 feet would be written like this: 4 + 97...and likewise 1,265 feet would written 12 + 65. They do this so no mistake can be made with the actual # of the point or any other information included in the inscription. Let's say point #62 in your survey is at the 499ft mark on long line going through the woods. You might write it like that! 4 + 99 with a 62 under it. The way surveyors write things varies slightly as the profession revises formats over the decades, and also within different states where licensure, format and other technicalities can differ slightly. And different firms have their own little ways of doing things too. I'm not sure what state youre in, but maybe a surveyor might be very interested in helping you out with that, and would KNOW just what they were looking at. When I used to do that work we sometimes found some really old markers and clues to boundaries and we'd have to do some real research to figure out what we were dealing with. My experience is that surveyors are often as obsessively about their professions as metal detectorists are about their hobby, and one might be happy as a clam to help you out in person.

Last edited:
I’d say the survey marking are the right answer. It’s located in Arkansas near Russellville.

Attached are screenshots of the approximate location (red dots). I wouldn’t say it’s really even anywhere near a major city/town. It’s down in a creek in the national forest in a fairly remote area.

4ac257e541c8d952b13b22a8385450cb.jpg

3f16aad77204f7859029918c2c817159.jpg

"Could it be..... a stone removed from Oak Island and a Templar treasure marker for a hoard of Bobbie dazzlers?"

sorry just had too after watching it last night... :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

"Could it be..... a stone removed from Oak Island and a Templar treasure marker for a hoard of Bobbie dazzlers?"

sorry just had too after watching it last night... :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I was expecting it to be the number of paces and direction to a hidden treasure or to a stone circle that would take me back in time (Outlander reference)

Last Tuesday's episode.

Next episode is Tue April 20 9PM Eastern. :shock: or :roll:

Back
Top Bottom