sand in the coil.....

John Madill

Elite Member
The other day i had my Simplex+ at a Lake Michigan beach.
After the hunt, before putting the detector in the car, i held it up and tapped on the coil to hopefully get rid of any sand that might have collected in or around the coil and coil cover.

Some sand fell out. When i got home i found this pile of sand in the back of the car. I pulled off the coil cover and lots more fell out. Am i just being sloppy at the beach to collect all this sand?

The machine is new and i have never removed a coil cover before. Sure fits on tight, i was afraid i might break it. Any easy way to pry them loose?

And does collecting water or sand inside the cover impede the signal at all?

Appreciate your advice!

Attachments

• sand.coil.jpg
    sand.coil.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 422
My at pro and nox800 get dirt in them on woods hunts. If there's space, stuff gets in

Despite a tight fit, they can still get stuff in them. I remove mine a couple of times a year and have found bits of grass and more fine dirt that expected. It finds a way in.

I never use a cover on the beach. If the coil would ever wear out I will get a new coil.

When I was salt water beach hunting with the Vanquish, I was cleaning the coil daily. I clean my Equinox pretty much after every hunt. If you run the coil under the faucet horizontally with a strong stream of water and then immediately tilt it back, you will see all kinds of dirt running out from underneath the coil cover without removing it. I just do this until the water coming out is pretty clean. I still like to tear the covers off periodically and give them a good cleaning. Might not make any difference but it makes me feel better.

Yes it makes a difference. It will cause false signals. Especially if the sand is wet. IMHO

I thought I remember reading somewhere that if you are hunting around saltwater that an accumulation of the salt under the coil cover can cause problems because of all of the mineralization brought by the salt?

Back
Top Bottom