Now that's old!

Dan B.

Elite Member
Here in northwest Ohio the snow is finally gone and the ground has thawed. I decided to go out to one of my field permissions with my detector. Not finding a whole lot of anything( it has been hit many times before) I wandered back to my truck aimlessly for a granola bar I seen a stone object in the ground that caught my eye. It is a Stone hammer. If it would not have been for the angle of the sun I would have not seen the shadow of the of the notch in the rock. Once or twice a year I do find an arrowhead but this is my first hammer. I'm not sure of the age but it sure is old!

How exciting it is to know that I'm the first human to have touched it since it was dropped. Makes you wonder the story behind why it was dropped. Was he chased by a saber-tooth tiger and eaten or was he distracted by a young lady. All I know is it takes a long time to produce these I'm sure they took care of them.

Attachments

• 20210227_222426.jpg
    20210227_222426.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 730
  • 20210227_222409.jpg
    20210227_222409.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 721
  • 20210228_092309.jpg
    20210228_092309.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 719
  • 20210228_092247.jpg
    20210228_092247.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 711
Well that's a great find! I always look for artifacts and it seems everyone else finds them but me:(

That's cool! :yes: I'm still wondering if this is any kind of Native American tool.

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_151709802_HDR_50.jpg
    IMG_20210228_151709802_HDR_50.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_20210228_151821202_HDR_50.jpg
    IMG_20210228_151821202_HDR_50.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_20210228_151619269_HDR_50.jpg
    IMG_20210228_151619269_HDR_50.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 665
Holy cow that’s super cool! Afraid I ever pick something like that up here in CA they’d arrest my a..! Congrats, really amazing.

Well that's a great find! I always look for artifacts and it seems everyone else finds them but me:(

Keep looking if other people are finding them they are in your area. It's the small differences in shape and color that catch my eye.

Good eye on that awesome find !!

Thank you very much stay safe and good luck!

Cooooool! And it was probably used by the Moundbuilders because of where you are, or even their ancestors before they built mounds.

I am not sure, you never know if it was from the mound Indians or not . I will have to have someone look at it that is more knowledgeable than me . Thanks!

That's cool! :yes: I'm still wondering if this is any kind of Native American tool.
You may want to post that on the ID me section here on the Forum. Someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to tell you. Thanks stay safe Happy Hunting.

Holy cow that’s super cool! Afraid I ever pick something like that up here in CA they’d arrest my a..! Congrats, really amazing.

I'm glad you enjoyed seeing what I have found. Yes some state laws are pretty scary!:jail: Happy Hunting and stay safe thanks!

Not on private land. And as for various public types of land here in CA, unless you're wearing neon orange, and waving this stuff around at an archie convention, I think you'd be hard-pressed to get anyone to notice. Moral of the story ? : Don't waive this stuff around at archie conventions. Problem solved :laughing:

Wow, that's a great find! 3/4 grooved axe head in perfect condition. I need to someday find one of these! Nice in-situ photo too. I can see why it caught your eye!
This is a bad-axe find, and evidence that the spot has been literally "hammered". :lol:

Wow, that's a great find! 3/4 grooved axe head in perfect condition. I need to someday find one of these! Nice in-situ photo too. I can see why it caught your eye!
This is a bad-axe find, and evidence that the spot has been literally "hammered". :lol:

"Bad axe" find, that's too funny!

Great find, Dan B! I wouldn't be able to put that down, probably sleep with it under the pillow.

Fantastic find.
Thanks GL&HH

The way you used bad-axe and hammered is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh glad you enjoyed.

Very nice!
Thank you thank you very much.

"Bad axe" find, that's too funny!

Great find, Dan B! I wouldn't be able to put that down, probably sleep with it under the pillow.

If I slept with it under the pillows the wife would use it on me. And no I cannot put it down she's tired of seeing it i have it on my tray in the living room. GL &HH

Back
Top Bottom