Recording videos while detecting. Camera mount?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
So I'm thinking of making some videos of my beach detecting next month.

I have a Garmin VirbX camera that I won a few years ago but never really used. I'd like to be able to see the VDI numbers while detecting, as well as what's in the scoop (which I can handle just by moving the scoop of course :) )

What do most people use? Head mounted? Chest mounted? Hiring a film crew to follow you around?

So I'm thinking of making some videos of my beach detecting next month.

I have a Garmin VirbX camera that I won a few years ago but never really used. I'd like to be able to see the VDI numbers while detecting, as well as what's in the scoop (which I can handle just by moving the scoop of course :) )

What do most people use? Head mounted? Chest mounted? Hiring a film crew to follow you around?

Head mounted. You are LOOKING at the vdi, so whatever you see the camera will see :yes:. But chest-mounted is a bit more stable for the viewer. :D

Josh

Head mounted. You are LOOKING at the vdi, so whatever you see the camera will see :yes:. But chest-mounted is a bit more stable for the viewer. :D

Josh

True on both points. My concern with the head mount is that I'd be wearing a baseball cap (I've got a retreating hairline so I need to protect my noggin) and the bill may get in the way.

The chest mount does seem more stable in some of the videos I watch, but then I have to make sure to angle it properly....that might be the best way. Or, I can try both

True on both points. My concern with the head mount is that I'd be wearing a baseball cap (I've got a retreating hairline so I need to protect my noggin) and the bill may get in the way.

The chest mount does seem more stable in some of the videos I watch, but then I have to make sure to angle it properly....that might be the best way. Or, I can try both

Hey, both are also a good idea. Just depends on what you prefer. I also want to start recording so I need to find a good way to do that.

Josh

I shoot video at the hunt club a good bit and like yerself, suffer from a "lack of coverage" normally provided by hair.
Solution for me is wearing a "do-rag" in hotter weather. Beanie in colder. Baseball caps make my folliculitis flare up anyways.
For the GoPro I use the head mount. Actually forget it's up there sometimes. Just be sure ya get the angle adjusted right for what yer doing. It took a bit to learn about the "aiming" of the camera. Where my head was pointed as opposed to where my eyes were looking. If that makes sense.
..I make the vids for when I get older and can't get out. Least I can wander the club again in 4k. :cool3:

I used the Garmin for a few years, had it mounted on the headphone cup..left side. Worked out nice. Being on the cup it Captures the audio since water machines normally don't have external speakers. Or you can go chest mount.. .. if you need pics I can look thru and see what I have.. I use a Go Pro now.. Sessions 5 and run a charger cable from it to a external (phone) battery. Get around 7 hours record time. I find something nice I just stop the cam and then restart it. It runs the full hunt...

I've got over 500 video's of finding gold rings, maybe 40 our public. A great tool for learning. And someday you can set back, when the legs give out, and relive all.

I've tried most and settled on the head mount. I mount my DJI Osmo Action in the rim of my cap and it gives a pretty good view of what I'm seeing. The camera is light enough that it doesn't really weigh down the cap too much. With the mount I use (clamps onto the bill), the bill doesn't block the camera's view.

The only issue you might find with the head mount is that unless you have a really big VDI display on your detector, you probably won't be able to make out the numbers in the footage you record. To get around this, I just call out the numbers in my videos.

Chest mount might work better if you want to actually show the numbers on video. Either that, or a camera mounted on the detector itself.

I used the Garmin for a few years, had it mounted on the headphone cup..left side. Worked out nice. Being on the cup it Captures the audio since water machines normally don't have external speakers. Or you can go chest mount.. .. if you need pics I can look thru and see what I have.. I use a Go Pro now.. Sessions 5 and run a charger cable from it to a external (phone) battery. Get around 7 hours record time. I find something nice I just stop the cam and then restart it. It runs the full hunt...

I've got over 500 video's of finding gold rings, maybe 40 our public. A great tool for learning. And someday you can set back, when the legs give out, and relive all.

OOOH....mounted to the headphone is a good idea. I'd love to see pics if it's convenient.

I'll have to check out your videos...not sure if I've found them yet

I have to say that from a viewers perspective, I find a lot videos shot on head mounted cameras tiring to watch, as the camera swings about too much....Spade and detector mounted cameras are nearly as bad as well..

I suspect that the people producing the best detecting videos use static tripod mounted cameras for a large chunk of the filming, with the rest split between shots from cameras mounted on head /chest, selfie sticks, drones ect...

One of the best examples of this is Hans over at TerraGermania on YouTube..The cinematography and editing of his videos is outstanding, and he could easily pass as a professional in these areas...

I started with the Tachyon gun cams around 2008, boy they had crude video. 2008 to 2013

I started with the Hat cam but it was missing the audio so I went to the cup mount. What's a video without Audio of the detector? Or VDI..

Attachments

• SNAG-0003 (3).jpg
    SNAG-0003 (3).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Then I went to Garmin Virb, head phone cup mount, video quality is Ok. My video's I do are for me, I'm not out to get subs or make money off of the video's, so they are boring and to the point...2014 to 2018...G Virb used

Attachments

• 20210514_214558_HDR.jpg
    20210514_214558_HDR.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
July 2019 I knew I had a Honey Hole so I splurged on a Go Pro Session 5, looks like a little cube. Video quality improved great. It is HP cup mounted..very stable video and worth every penny.

Just recently I came across a friend that finds at least 5 Go Pro's a year. He was very kind in giving me GP Hero 7...So it is chest mounted, yet to use it but soon. I got a interesting add on for it...allows 8 hours of recording if you have a big enough Micro SD card.

Attachments

• 20210514_125140.jpg
    20210514_125140.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 20210514_213051.jpg
    20210514_213051.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
July 2019 I knew I had a Honey Hole so I splurged on a Go Pro Session 5, looks like a little cube. Video quality improved great. It is HP cup mounted..very stable video and worth every penny.

Just recently I came across a friend that finds at least 5 Go Pro's a year. He was very kind in giving me GP Hero 7...So it is chest mounted, yet to use it but soon. I got a interesting add on for it...allows 8 hours of recording if you have a big enough Micro SD card.

Thanks. I've got the Virb X so it's nice and small, I'll experiment with different mounts and hopefully have a video or 2 after my vacation

and LOTS of gold :)

Back
Top Bottom