Garrett Pinpointer Service

Thebigd81

I'm sending 3 pinpointers to Garrett to have them replace the shells and hopefully give them a go over. The AT Pro Pointer tip is worn after 4+ years, the Pro Pointer II is what friends use when they go out with me and I obtained that used and it's probably 5+ years old, and the ZLynk is probably a year old but has seen heavy use. I no longer scrape around in plugs and now have tips on them to protect them.

I've heard great things about their service but was wondering if anyone has sent anything into Garrett within the last year or 2. How long was the turn around and were you satisfied with the work?

Thanks all and HH

Last edited:
D I have two carrots and have had them both replaced at different times. When I sent them in they were out of warranty so I opted for the $ 90 replacement cost. Turn around time was less than 2 weeks and the people are great to deal with.
Just recently I had one going off while in hand and all over the place. I thought oh great it hasn't been that long since I got it, well at least its still under warranty.So I got the other one that I keep for a back up and it starts doing the same thing, Whaat ? Here a beaver tail some how managed to work its way up into the middle finger tip of the glove, Duh ? Oh well good luck and I will say I have a TRX and a Profind but the carrot is the best IMO. Mark

D I have two carrots and have had them both replaced at different times. When I sent them in they were out of warranty so I opted for the $ 90 replacement cost. Turn around time was less than 2 weeks and the people are great to deal with.
Just recently I had one going off while in hand and all over the place. I thought oh great it hasn't been that long since I got it, well at least its still under warranty.So I got the other one that I keep for a back up and it starts doing the same thing, Whaat ? Here a beaver tail some how managed to work its way up into the middle finger tip of the glove, Duh ? Oh well good luck and I will say I have a TRX and a Profind but the carrot is the best IMO. Mark

They replaced your Pinpointer or just fixed it for 90$ each? I should have had the one shell replaced last year but it's just been sitting on a shelf since I have 3 other Garretts. Hahaha that's funny they are going off because of something in your glove hahaha. I bought a TRX to replace the Carrot with the worn tip but I quickly sold that and got another Carrot. I absolutely love my Carrot especially the ZLynk so I can hear the pipointer in my headphones.

They definitely are a good item! I use the black ones and replace them on all 4 of my pinpointers every season. Wish I had these the first few years I started detecting heavily

......just reminded me I need to put a tip on my other pinpointer, my older one I now use as a backup has one but I forgot to put one on the one I got most recently.

I have three items in for repairs on my AT Max and Z Lynk PP. I'll be able to relate some first hand info. The AT Max w/ MS 3 Z Lynk headphones is out of warranty (quote was $40 + parts, include return shipping).:( The Z Lynk Propointer is under warranty and is covered. Good thing!:thumbsup: Its electronics are toasted, probably owing to an influx of marine water. I had to send in the coil with the AT Max control box. The onboard audio speaker wasn't working when the headphones (hard wired or wireless, I have both) were not connected. In addition, the wireless headphones wouldn't take a charge, probably because the microUSB rechargable battery was dead and/or the microUSB port was broken and only worked intermittently. The AT Max is over three years old and has seen a lot of service at the hands of a newbie.

A few months back i had a problem with my carrot and was quoted $27.50 labor plus the cost of parts. Found the problem and fixed it myself.

They replaced your Pinpointer or just fixed it for 90$ each? I should have had the one shell replaced last year but it's just been sitting on a shelf since I have 3 other Garretts. Hahaha that's funny they are going off because of something in your glove hahaha. I bought a TRX to replace the Carrot with the worn tip but I quickly sold that and got another Carrot. I absolutely love my Carrot especially the ZLynk so I can hear the pipointer in my headphones.

D the 90 was for a new replacement which I figured was a better deal because it came with a new 2 yr. warranrty as opposed to , the, I'm not sure repaired warranty. 6 months or something. And again I think the carrot out performs all other pinpointers so I spent the money.

I have three items in for repairs on my AT Max and Z Lynk PP. I'll be able to relate some first hand info. The AT Max w/ MS 3 Z Lynk headphones is out of warranty (quote was $40 + parts, include return shipping).:( The Z Lynk Propointer is under warranty and is covered. Good thing!:thumbsup: Its electronics are toasted, probably owing to an influx of marine water. I had to send in the coil with the AT Max control box. The onboard audio speaker wasn't working when the headphones (hard wired or wireless, I have both) were not connected. In addition, the wireless headphones wouldn't take a charge, probably because the microUSB rechargable battery was dead and/or the microUSB port was broken and only worked intermittently. The AT Max is over three years old and has seen a lot of service at the hands of a newbie.

Z-Lynk Propointer leaked marine water and was repaired under warranty. The MS-3 Z-Lynk headphones had a dead, puffy battery (after three years of service) it was replaced out of warranty. The coil was "out of range" and needed replacement as did the AT Max control box, all out of warranty. Cost of repair labor, parts and shipping ~ $160. Shipped yesterday morning. Expect it tomorrow or day after by Fed Ex.

They definitely are a good item! I use the black ones and replace them on all 4 of my pinpointers every season. Wish I had these the first few years I started detecting heavily

And that's exactly why I had them custom made. I'm the guy behind the original tip protectors on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112393263008

The other guy is a copy-cat. Their product is probably ok, but I can completely vouch for what I sell.

I started making them about 4 years ago, after I couldn't find a decent way to protect my Pro Pointer (and 3 RMA's later, got fed up with the tips going bad). I'd tried tape, dips, sheaths, etc... nothing worked.

So, I contacted a manufacturer, and had them make up some samples for me (cost me $$ to have 50 made to spec! LOL) After I was satisfied, I decided I had too many for myself, and put the rest on eBay. They sold in one day. At that point, I decided to have lots more manufactured.

I carry a few in my bag every time I hunt, and give them away free to the local folks.

Cheers!

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom