Quest x5

johnnyboy25

picked one up for nephew,first impression:a lot of machine for the money,lightweight,surprising depth and easy to operate.If your in the market for a starter machine (or a backup).this detector is worth looking at

picked one up for nephew,first impression:a lot of machine for the money,lightweight,surprising depth and easy to operate.If your in the market for a starter machine (or a backup).this detector is worth looking at

I hate to say this but.......A metal detector without a pinpoint feature is worthless for anyone who is going to test if they like the hobby. Besides once I wrapped it around a tree I couldn't even say the shaft fell off to get the warranty because it doesn't have one. Add the fact that it has NO features ( Out of a total of 17 it listed it had NONE "0" Nada) and for an extra $100 you could have a simplex that not only has all the goodies but is also waterproof I think I would have opted for that. Just an opinion.

They are great detectors especially for the price. The X10 is good step up from the X5 and is only $200. If others tried them they would be impressed but most budget buyers look at bounty hunters and garrett's. Most of their models can't compete with the quest X model's performance and features.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WDnLJ0RiNfI

I hate to say this but.......A metal detector without a pinpoint feature is worthless for anyone who is going to test if they like the hobby. Besides once I wrapped it around a tree I couldn't even say the shaft fell off to get the warranty because it doesn't have one. Add the fact that it has NO features ( Out of a total of 17 it listed it had NONE "0" Nada) and for an extra $100 you could have a simplex that not only has all the goodies but is also waterproof I think I would have opted for that. Just an opinion.

If you hunt in trashy areas the pinpoint does no good. I hunt in trash so I don't use a pinpoint on any detector.

If you hunt in trashy areas the pinpoint does no good. I hunt in trash so I don't use a pinpoint on any detector.

I have always used pinpoint. Double D coils are a bit more challenging in trash than concentric but I wouldn't leave home without it. But that still doesn't change the fact that this particular detector has no features. Unless you tell me you regularly hunt without features and do well. In that case Harbor freight has one for $59.99 :lol:

This machine is for beginners auto ground balance,pick a search mode and your set.A beginner doesn't need a whole lot of controls. (and as far as pinpointing I just use the x method although my machines have it,it's just quicker for me to x it) and last this cheap machine gets depth that rival some top end machines.

This machine is for beginners auto ground balance,pick a search mode and your set.A beginner doesn't need a whole lot of controls. (and as far as pinpointing I just use the x method although my machines have it,it's just quicker for me to x it) and last this cheap machine gets depth that rival some top end machines.

Do you have a link to your video showing how this detector compares to a high end detector? I would really like to see that. That video might very well put the High end detector out of business.:wow:

Me and a guy I hunt with both have X10s. They are loaded with features, are almost the same weight as a deus, and go very deep considering the small
9x5 stock coil. I haven't tested it but I would bet it's as deep or deeper than the simplex with the 9.5x5 coil. People can bash them all they want but anyone that knows anything about detectors and has used one knows they're great and one hell of a bargain.

What's the saying about opinions and --------? Everyone has one.

The Quest 5 seems like a very good beginner's machine. Your nephew has a good uncle.

Thanks for showing yours.:laughing:

Everyone does, some more than others. I haven't been here long, but it seems like if you don't run a 'Nox' or some 500 dollar plus machine, you must own junk. Oh well, all forums seem to have their 'fill in the blank' snobs. Sadly, this one is no different.

Everyone does, some more than others. I haven't been here long, but it seems like if you don't run a 'Nox' or some 500 dollar plus machine, you must own junk. Oh well, all forums seem to have their 'fill in the blank' snobs. Sadly, this one is no different.

Don't feel bad, Many who have paid way more than what the Equinox costs for their detector say the same thing about Nox users. I never used the word junk. I just questioned the comment about comparing it to a high end detector. If it's what you like, why on earth would you care what anyone thinks about it anyway? I won't spend a minute caring if someone likes, questions, talks bad about etc, about a detector I use.

The x5 does have pinpoint function (and 5 stage notch discrimination and a flashlight for night hunting)

...... it seems like if you don't run a 'Nox' or .......

Yup, eveyone has an opinion but it's not near as bad now that the simplex and the vanquish came out. Before someone would ask "what detector should I buy, I have $100?" 4-5 post later someone would say "buy a nox" Then the thead and every other detector thread would turn into nox owners gushing about the nox like a bunch of little girls and the latest teen idol. 😣 The best instrument for any hobby is the one that makes it enjoyable. The best tool for a job is the one that performs. The AT Pro isn't the greatest detector out there but there are tens of thousands of people using them and loving the hobby. The Quest Xs can do both well in most situations.
But let me restart the past trend- You need a nox, it's made all other... 😁😄

Yup, eveyone has an opinion but it's not near as bad now that the simplex and the vanquish came out. Before someone would ask "what detector should I buy, I have $100?" 4-5 post later someone would say "buy a nox" Then the thead and every other detector thread would turn into nox owners gushing about the nox like a bunch of little girls and the latest teen idol. 😣 The best instrument for any hobby is the one that makes it enjoyable. The best tool for a job is the one that performs. The AT Pro isn't the greatest detector out there but there are tens of thousands of people using them and loving the hobby. The Quest Xs can do both well in most situations.

I think you are mistaken about the quote. I believe they said all other single frequency detectors. :laughing: But obviously with the surge of cheaper detectors that wasn't rue. The fact is there are many that buy cheap detectors for many reasons. Some I wholeheartedly agree with. But the ones that do it because it's all they can afford would like to have more expensive detectors. Been there and there is nothing wrong with that either. Get the best you can afford and learn it the best you can.But just so you know.....Just because the Nox isn't for everyone doesn't mean it sucks either. Is it perfect? No but nothing in this world is.

Is the simplex you are referring to the one you currently have for sale?:?:

This is very true. Nokta and minelab have certainly turned things a bit upsidedown. The vanquish and simplex price point would traditionally been the beginner detector range, the features and performance have actually almost created a new range that could be called the budget range. Nokta aimed for the ace line but actually hit the at pro, as far as performance. The features actually hit above the at pro. As to the multi frequency vanquish there really isn't much in it's class, at it's price point. It's a good time to be a detectorist on a budget.

Back
Top Bottom