Ace 350 pinpointing problem

fracturedtundra

Hi Everyone, I am having a problem with my new Ace 350 and hope that someone can please help me out. The MD works just fine when sweeping side to side. The readout is good and the tones are just as they should be. Pinpointing is the issue. When I find a target and press the pinpoint button I immediately get a tone that is loud and cannot get that tone to stop. I can point the MD in the air with the pinpoint button pressed and still get the tone and it will not fall off as it should. What is happening here? Is there a way to reset? I have pulled the batteries and replaced them, disconnected the cable and put back on, checked sensitivity, cleaned the coil and tried different modes but nothing seems to work. Still get the tone all the time. The pinpointer worked fine the first few times I used it, but now seems to be on the fritz. Any help at all is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!!!

Don't have one of these, but I have noticed a few owners do have a few tricks and tips when the Ace's go wonky.

Maybe some of these will help from another forum.

These are about another type of problem, but I would pay attention to # 2 , and maybe see if that reset thing will work on this and help.

Sounds like it's time to start with the most obvious and work backwards for a solution. Some suggestions:
1) Try another set of batteries. Don't mix battery types (alkaline/heavy duty) Be certain they are installed correctly.
2) Are you using a coil cover? If so, remove it and be certain no junk has gotten caught up in it.
3) Is the cable flopping around loose? It should be secured snugly around the shaft so no freeplay. Also inspect the cable to be sure no damage to it.
4) Is the cable connector that connects to the housing attached correctly and snugly? Remove and reinstall.
5) As you mentioned, lower sensitivity to about four bars and test again.
6) Install the coil from your working 250 on the problem 250 - does it work correctly on this 250? Try the coil from the bad unit on your working unit. Did the problem follow the coil to the working 250? If so you may have a bad coil. Contact Garrett for replacement. Their customer Service is the best!
7) Try the reset on the problem 250 - press and hold the power button 5-10 seconds until the detector beeps. This will return it to factory settings.
If these efforts don't work contact Garrett and they will make it right. Toll-free 800-527-4011

Hello Freactured, when you press the pin point button are you directly over the target?. Once you find a target move your coil away from it and then press the pp button. Now move the coil back to the target untill you get the highest signal. The target is now lined up in the center line of the coil from tip to tail. Now there are several ways to go from here, you can drag the coil towards you till the signal drops, the target will be at the tip. Or you can mark that line and then turn 90 degrees and mark that line.Now you have an "X". The second way is what I use, with the AT I don't even use the pp button anymore. Let me know if it helps

Hello Freactured, when you press the pin point button are you directly over the target?. Once you find a target move your coil away from it and then press the pp button. Now move the coil back to the target untill you get the highest signal. The target is now lined up in the center line of the coil from tip to tail. Now there are several ways to go from here, you can drag the coil towards you till the signal drops, the target will be at the tip. Or you can mark that line and then turn 90 degrees and mark that line.Now you have an "X". The second way is what I use, with the AT I don't even use the pp button anymore. Let me know if it helps

yep just like scout23 said, and also if you do need to reset your machine for some reason just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it beeps and that will reset the detector to the factory default settings

Thanks Digger, Scout, and Dogpound for the replys. It is appreciated. Scout, no I don't have the unit directly over the target. I've only pinpointed when the MD is away from the suspected target and as soon as I hit the pinpoint button I get the constant tone without even getting remotely close to the target. Digger, I don't have a coil cover, but I did clean the coil thoroughly so that shouldn't be the problem either. I have read the manual through and through. I did hold the start button and waited for the alotted seconds to restore the unit to the factory settings. Really confused now and am wondering if it could possibly be mineralized soil. No. Guess I'm grasping at straws now cause the unit gives me the solid tone even when the coil is pointed skyward. Well, I'll continue to play with it and if I can't get it ironed out, I'll call Garret. Sure will miss it if I have to send it in for repairs. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Fractured

Might check your conection at the control box, take it off and make sure the pins are straight. I'd definitly call Garrett, If they send you a new coil you will get it in 5-7 days. They will probably try that first. HH Tom

Problem solved, at least for now. Went out this morning and encountered the same problem. This time I I hit the pinpoint button on and off in rapid succesion and lo and behold the MD started working properly. Don't ask me why because I couldn't tell you, but for now it works. Thanks to all. Yeah!!

Back
Top Bottom