V nickel, collar pin, and grave marker history!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Spent a couple of hours at the 1st townsite this morning to hunt between two streets where houses once stood. As I went to the area I wanted to hunt, I found a nice 1900 V nickel. I started my long zig zag pattern and found the tool tag, lead ornament, hose bib valve handle, and what I think is a WWI collar pin.

IMG_20220629_162340145 (2).jpg

Since it was getting hot, I started to swing back to the truck, and got a very nice high tone and dug this plate. After I cleaned it off a bit I realized it was a grave marker :shock: First one ever!

IMG_20220629_105552064_HDR (2).jpg

WTH? So was someone buried here:?: A man that we got to know was driving by to get his mail, so I showed it to him. He was familiar with the last name, and told me his family was friends with Benjamin's son who lived at the townsite. I have a relative who is a historic researcher at the library, and she found, and printed off the obit for Benjamin F Ketchum, WY pioneer.

IMG_20220629_132433238.jpg

The family is well known in Sheridan, and by using the name I was able to pinpoint the home he lived in at the townsite, with a map key where a last name is associated with a number.

IMG_20220629_134518632 (2).jpg

In this case it was house #80 (circled) that can be seen at the center of the pic, and where I found the grave marker. What we can gather is that dad (Benjamin) had come to live with his son in house #80, but we're not sure if he worked at the mine. We think that he was buried at the townsite cemetery a half mile to the east, where this grave marker apparently was. His casket was later moved to another cemetery in a nearby small town after his wife passed on there. We think that the son had this marker with him at house #80, but must have lost it, or left it in the house when it was abandoned and possibly destroyed.

My goal is to clean it up, and see if I can return it to a close family member. His son had died in the early 2000's, but I think his siblings are still around. The local historical society wants to look at it since theyre in the process of cleaning up the townsite cemetery, and making repairs.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

That is some cool old stuff, looks like you have found a great site with long term potential. The collar disk is upside down in your pic but I am sure it is a US National Army disk. Excellent recovery!

Kudos for find , research and hoping provenance works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is some cool old stuff, looks like you have found a great site with long term potential. The collar disk is upside down in your pic but I am sure it is a US National Army disk. Excellent recovery!

Thank you, and thank you for more info on the collar disk!

Cool digs!

Thanks Bluebird

I like those v nickelsđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Thank you

Kudos for find , research and hoping provenance works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Scalz!

Interesting bit of historical research TommyJay. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Silverhorse!

Yes love the backstory, hope you can repatriate the marker. Congrats on all the cool finds. Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark! I talked with the guy who lives nearby today, and he told me the last nearest relative passed away in 2020. He said he would check some other angles and see what else he can find on the family.

Very cool finds TommyJay! You continue to come up with special and good finds from the townsite.

Thank you!

UPDATE: I found out that Ben was not buried at the townsite cemetery, but was buried in the cemetery of a nearby town. Im now thinking that the grave marker was a temporary marker that was given to his son. I ran into the man who lives near the townsite today, and he told me that the closest in line with Bens lineage died in 2020. He told me that he would look into any other relatives that live in the area.

Back
Top Bottom