Hunting rubber mat tot lots

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Normally I avoid those tot lots that have been converted to a rubber mat, but I had an eye-opener this weekend.

The tot lot in our city park had been converted from woodchips to a rubber mat a few years ago. I was bummed because it was a good consistent producer. This weekend I thought I'd hunt around the perimeter because it always seems to be good, but for some reason, I found myself on the rubber mat swinging my detector.

I got some good lower tones and found a few open chain links but then I started getting tones at the edge where one mat met another. On close inspection, I found there was a pretty large space between the two that had filled up with rubber particles. Using my finger I found the crack went 2"-3" deep and as much as 1" wide. I started running my coil along the cracks and was pleasantly surprised to find a little gold & silver. Little being the key word LOL.

Anyway, I say any gold or silver is a good find. I did alright for a short hunt, but more importantly, I have a new tot lot for my regular rounds.

If you have one of these rubber mat tot lots you've been ignoring, you might want to take a closer look.

Attachments

• 6-26-2022.jpg
    6-26-2022.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC02677.jpg
    DSC02677.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 163
that is amazing how coins or jewelry trinkets can find their way in the narrowest of crevices !

Back
Top Bottom