Worst Year Ever

Silversmith45

Elite Member
I have been detecting for around forty years. This past year has been my worst year ever. For the most part of the year my car has been down and I haven't been able to go anywhere to detect. I have had to use all of the two stimulus checks for repairs and it still isn't working. I don't know what is wrong with it. On top of that my coil for my 2500 died and I haven't been able to get another one. Pictured is my jar that I usually have full by the end of the year. The other picture is my finds for the year. No silver or jewelry. I haven't even been on the forum much lately because of this. I am beginning to see why new hunters give up detecting.
coins2.jpg
coins.jpg

I have been detecting for around forty years. This past year has been my worst year ever. For the most part of the year my car has been down and I haven't been able to go anywhere to detect. I have had to use all of the two stimulus checks for repairs and it still isn't working. I don't know what is wrong with it. On top of that my coil for my 2500 died and I haven't been able to get another one. Pictured is my jar that I usually have full by the end of the year. The other picture is my finds for the year. No silver or jewelry. I haven't even been on the forum much lately because of this. I am beginning to see why new hunters give up detecting.
View attachment 493810
View attachment 493811

What year,type of car do you have?

If I had to walk to the places I can detect I wouldn’t even have a quarter of that jar. I’m an ASE Master Tech. What’s up with your car? What is it and what is it doing or not doing? Are you putting parts on it by yourself or having it repaired at a shop? Is this a single ongoing issue or is it a series of failures?

Sorry to hear that man, we all go through tough times...
What car is it, maybe some folks on here could help trouble shoot?

I know the feeling Silversmith. 40+ years here as well and each year finds get slimmer & slimmer.

I can't really complain though because I've had a fantastic 40+ years. I knew sooner or later things had to slow down. Of course, I've had some medical changes that also have slowed me down, but I'm not out yet.

Finds may come to an end, but the memories will always remain.

The prices of food, fuel, auto parts, used vehicles, houses and everything else increased dramatically in the past year.
Very few people carry change in their pockets. Most use plastic cards or apps to pay for stuff. Detecting for clad is tough in many areas.
That being said. For a competent shop there are no car repair mysteries.
The car wizard is in your area at Omega Auto Clinic in Newton.
Check him out on yutube.
Probably expensive but that shop can figure out mysteries.
https://omegaautoclinic.com/

(Edit: The guy that owns that shop is also an Army veteran. Maybe there is a Veterans discount.)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the car troubles and tough times! That being said, new hunters that give it up don’t have the patience and weren’t meant for the hobby!

Well, it could always be worst. At least you were able to get something in that jar. Best of luck to you this year!

The prices of food, fuel, auto parts, used vehicles, houses and everything else increased dramatically in the past year.
Very few people carry change in their pockets. Most use plastic cards or apps to pay for stuff. Detecting for clad is tough in many areas.

Not to mention BORING.....

And
Yet I don't recall seeing the value of a Barber dime going up much in the last 10 years. :mad::mad::mad:

But back to that plastic thing,......Isn't there some kind of movement we can start up to introduce a semiprecious spending token of some sort ??? I know the value of such an item would be too fluctuant to be feasible,....but GOD DARN IT this hobby needs some renewing before it dies out completely.....
To me it is just way way too boring digging up clad.

I would like to see a dollar coin with silver in it , even if it is 20 percent and the size of a nickel.

ok.....enough ranting.......I think I spouted off the same exact post a few years ago......:roll::roll:
Oh well.......it is what it is now.....

I may have long dry spells, as I prefer beach hunting, and I'm in the middle of the woods, but I will NEVER give up on detecting!

If I had as much stuff as you do in that jar, I'd bee happy as a clam...

I have a 2001 Chrysler voyager. i have been taking it to a shop because i live in an apartment and don't have the tools or a place to work on it. first they had to replace the computer. That worked for about a week and then it went bad so they had to order another one which took another couple of weeks. I have had to use both of my stimulus checks on repairs. Now it was overheating but usually worked after cooling off. After driving about ten miles it would over heat again. the last time it did it won't start again. I replaced the thermostat and that didn't help. The last time it was in the shop they replaced the alternator and the battery which should have been good. They gave me a list of things they wanted to fix which would have cost around a thousand dollars including fifty dollars for six spark plugs. I had to have it towed to my son's place because they said I couldn't have a non-running car at my apartments. It turns over but just won't start. I don't have money to have it worked on again.

you really should consider scrapping it! I got one I need to scrap, but my wife won't let me because she claims "Jesus " lives in it!.frame's gone, but how can I argue with her, maybe he really does! I'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

you really should consider scrapping it! I got one I need to scrap, but my wife won't let me because she claims "Jesus " lives in it!.frame's gone, but how can I argue with her, maybe he really does! I'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Wow your wife loves that car.

Back
Top Bottom