• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Found some thawed ground and scored a KG3

CTpilgrim

Elite Member
I made it out yesterday for a little while before I had to go in to work and I’m glad I did. It has been very cold here and the ground has now frozen solid but anything under the leaves in the woods is still thawed. Most of the snow has melted from a recent storm but there was still 1-2 inches of sloppy slush on top.I went to a cellar hole that has been absolutely pounded over the years but figured I’d just poke around in some of the areas that used to be fields. I went to a spot that I believe was an animal pen with abutting walled off plow fields. A few months ago a friend of mine found a fugio here so I figured what the heck, I have nothing better to do. On the way in while braving the thorns and endless shotgun shells I did find a mangled flat button. My first signal near this pen was a solid 25 on the nox. I almost filmed it it was such a good signal. It turned out to be a rolled piece of copper. Not sure what it was for but it looked old so I had hope that this area hadn’t been cleaned out. I continued on and got a terrible signal near a rock but was 19-20 in all directions and sounded different than a bent nail so I went after it. I opened up the plug and couldn’t find it. I pinpointed a target in the sidewall and there it was. A green disc straight up and down right next to a rock. It is a King George the 3 and it only beeps a 20-21 out of the hole so I think it’s probably counterfeit. Probably a machins mills but I can’t get a date to know for sure. Other KG3’s I’ve found beep a 24-25 out of the hole. I continued on and found a nice tombac button and a piece of the biggest shoe buckle I’ve ever seen. It felt good to get back out and as long as the ground stays somewhat open I’m going to hit some of the pounded cellar holes around and work the edges. Hope you guys are still able to get out there.

Attachments

• 650F06E8-89FC-4EE3-850B-451F2EC4EC73.jpg
    650F06E8-89FC-4EE3-850B-451F2EC4EC73.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 460
  • 564AF174-E45B-4261-A53F-1292909066B9.jpg
    564AF174-E45B-4261-A53F-1292909066B9.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 477
  • 60E28E95-E575-498A-8464-93A687224CD4.jpg
    60E28E95-E575-498A-8464-93A687224CD4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 473
Good job. Another storm is coming here Sunday I hope to get out before it snows again. Should be up to you soon after that. Good luck.

Great job on the finds. That's cool the KG3 might be counterfeit. Do you ever look at the headstamps on the shotshells? I have seen a fair amount of scarce to rare ones come from the east.

Great job on the finds. That's cool the KG3 might be counterfeit. Do you ever look at the headstamps on the shotshells? I have seen a fair amount of scarce to rare ones come from the east.

I never really look at them but I probably should. I find so many around here and most of them are the old paper cartridge type. I always wonder why there’s so many shells but nobody ever dropped any coins.

Back
Top Bottom