coil size for hunting civil war relics in creeks

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have good civil war permission with two shallow creeks flowing through it.
I have a new CTX3030.

The 6" coil is $479. Pretty expensive. Would you recommend the 6" over the stock 11" coil in the CTX?

That is what I am thinking since there are lots of rocks in that creek and larger boulders.

Wow that’s one pricey coil. I’d use the stock coil to start . That’s why I like my ATP; can use it in water and the small coil is a helluva lot cheaper.

Wow that’s one pricey coil. I’d use the stock coil to start . That’s why I like my ATP; can use it in water and the small coil is a helluva lot cheaper.

Well the CTX3030 new is about $2495 so I guess they want to have the main unit keep good company with pricey coils. And I would think the 6" coil would have less wire in it? Not sure, may be just opposite. Have to have a real tech head give us that answer.

I use a few different coils on both my detectors in the water. The big negative is the larger it is you feel it more in the water. It's going to move slower and take more effort to move. Depending on your creek bottom, the smaller one may also benefit you to move around rocks and debris too.

One thing that, so far, keeps my 6" off the Nox is patience, or lack thereof on my part, as it is a lot slower to cover area... maybe that's my downfall in some aspects, but man, exercise in patience with a 6" coil...at least for me, for now. I'm keeping it though. The rocky terrain may well warrant it.

One thing that, so far, keeps my 6" off the Nox is patience, or lack thereof on my part, as it is a lot slower to cover area... maybe that's my downfall in some aspects, but man, exercise in patience with a 6" coil...at least for me, for now. I'm keeping it though. The rocky terrain may well warrant it.

Where I am hunting is Prime civil war relic area. I plan to hunt with the 11" coil in the creek first, remove the junk and keep any good finds then go back with the 6" coil. So I am thinking it is worth the efforts on the 6" coil. Will mainly use it to get in close to large boulders since the 11" should do the trick elsewhere.

Shop around. Most dealers sell that coil for $299, and if you call them up you might even get a better deal. Also, check the classifieds section on this forum and others. I've seen used ones less than $200.

I have the small, stock and the 17 for mine. When we hit logging camps the 6 incher is a life saver. Mostly in the real trashy areas. I use the stock coil for tot lots and the 17 works well for wide open fields.

Back
Top Bottom