First Silver of 2022…and a Zippo

partyofone

Elite Member
I went out for about an hour this evening. Hit the school where I started teaching 23 years ago. It was opened in 1951 and closed in 2011. I was there once before and wanted to go back. I was able to dig a few memorial cents, and one wheat cent. Found the Zippo on the surface. Cleaned it up and filled it and it lit right up. The Mercury was found right outside of my old classroom.

That place has been cherry picked for years, but they didn’t get it all.

Snow tonight.

Attachments

• 1DBDE42D-C6DE-4EAE-B51A-A4A911642497.jpg
    1DBDE42D-C6DE-4EAE-B51A-A4A911642497.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 463
I fondly remember my grandfather's using zippo lighters. They both participated in World War II when Zippos were very popular with the troops. Congrats on the finds.

Congrats on shiny # 1 for the year Erik, also the wheat and Zippo. Merc dimes are one of my favorite silver coins and I always say "Hello Beautiful " whenever one comes to light. The Zippo is a cool find as well. I think I would hit that place a few more times. Good luck, Mark

It’s an interesting place. In 2011, it was sold for 95K. The buyers then learned that it was going to take nearly a million dollars to remove all of the asbestos. It has sat empty since then. The windows are all broken out. The ceilings are falling down. Mold everywhere. A mess. It’s up for sale again at 325K. Makes me sad. I really liked that place.

It’s an interesting place. In 2011, it was sold for 95K. The buyers then learned that it was going to take nearly a million dollars to remove all of the asbestos. It has sat empty since then. The windows are all broken out. The ceilings are falling down. Mold everywhere. A mess. It’s up for sale again at 325K. Makes me sad. I really liked that place.

Wow, sad story like so many others that end with the word, "asbestos". I pray you were not exposed to it nor experiencing any health issues from it. Glad you could score the coins before the building gets bulldozed. I'd imagine that is in the future.

Congrats on silver #1 for the new year! My first silver this year is also a Mercury dime, 1942.

Sweet find on the merc. Zippo lighters are also collectable. They have a date code on the bottom and on the inside part too. You can tell when each piece was made by going online and looking it up. Just an FYI incase you are interested. :goodjob:

Zippo lighters carry a lifetime warranty. I’ve found several that were basically destroyed. I sent them in and received brand new ones. Too bad I don’t smoke.

Nice finds! Love that zippo. That image of Fireball brought back some wild memories. Fireball tasted a lot better on the way down then it did when it came back up!

Nice set of finds. Hey, that might have your dime that you lost!

back in those days, Zippos were "The" lighter and all others were weird. Had to have a supply of flints and lighter fluid and they were pretty much failsafe.

Wow, sad story like so many others that end with the word, "asbestos". I pray you were not exposed to it nor experiencing any health issues from it. Glad you could score the coins before the building gets bulldozed. I'd imagine that is in the future.

Short comment on building getting bulldozed. If KT understands the laws pertaining to asbestos, unless the asbestos is properly removed, then the building cannot be removed or renovated…so it likely will sit there until a tornado takes it, then all the remaining rubble will have to go to a hazardous waste landfill. Likely it would cost 10 to 20 times the value of the building just to remove the asbestos….pretty ridiculous, eh? My guess is that it being a school, it also had large areas of non-ceramic square tile flooring….asbestos tile.

Great find on that Zippo, and KT loves that you got it back working again! :clapping:

Short comment on building getting bulldozed. If KT understands the laws pertaining to asbestos, unless the asbestos is properly removed, then the building cannot be removed or renovated…so it likely will sit there until a tornado takes it, then all the remaining rubble will have to go to a hazardous waste landfill. Likely it would cost 10 to 20 times the value of the building just to remove the asbestos….pretty ridiculous, eh? My guess is that it being a school, it also had large areas of non-ceramic square tile flooring….asbestos tile.

Great find on that Zippo, and KT loves that you got it back working again! :clapping:

You are correct Your Highness. In the early 2000s, they did an asbestos encapsulation project to try and “seal” it all up. But the years of neglect have certainly reversed any effects of that. I’m guessing that it will sit there until it all falls down.

Congrats on the nice finds. I think it's really cool that you found the Merc outside your old classroom.

Back
Top Bottom