True treasure find story

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
This treasure was hidden by mother nature. Back in the late 1980's I had the good fortune and pleasure to work with Larry Otwell. Larry was a retired geologist for the state of Georgia. I read several of his books and called him on the phone with some questions. He invited me up to his home in Cleveland, GA. We spent some really nice times in his workshop located about 50 yards behind his home when the bears were not around.

Long story short, we became friends and he and I collaborated on trying to plot likely spots to find gold along the two faults surrounding Dahlonega, GA. I had the knowledge of using a sophisticated statistical program called GPSS.

He had the geographical maps of every known gold mine in the Dahlonega areas. Using his data and my programming knowledge we developed a plot of where possible gold sources would be located based on known gold mines relationship to their locations from the fault. Hint, they are all within the two fault lines not to the east or west of the fault lines.

Well nothing came of the project due to lack of resources and permissions to prospect and dig to prove or disprove our results. Our idea was to find a person with access to a core driller and go into a 3 way partnership. never got that far in the project.

But as an aside he told me one day a man from Canada showed up with his jeep, 3" dredge and spent a week searching the two rivers that flow around Dahlonega. He hit a pot hole and recovered an incredible amount of gold nuggets.

Larry told me personally that he saw the nuggets that were spread out on his bed in the motel and it covered almost the complete bed. He returned to Canada after that spectacular treasure find. Larry said he doubted if anyone has ever found so much gold in such a little amount of time in North Georgia.

I will never forget Larry or that story or the fun times I had with Larry. RIP Larry.

Attachments

• larryottwellgoldbooks3.jpg
    larryottwellgoldbooks3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 718
Wow! Find of a lifetime! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool story!

It may have been intentionally not specified, and if that's the case, "never mind", but did the Canadian guy prove you two were correct?

If that's not something you want to answer, I completely understand.

Back
Top Bottom