Beginner Help

Kubota57

I have been lurking on this forum for awhile. I recently joined and have a question that I haven't seen asked by a newbie. I don't know a thing about Metal Detector's but I'm wanted to purchase one to learn with budget from $500 to $1000. My question is what do I need to get that I can just turn on using factory settings to learn with and then adjust settings as I get more experience. I really just want to buy one and not be looking to replace or upgrade down the road. Also at 64 yr's old I need the exercise so Dr. say's. Thanks

Where do you plan on hunting? Salt water beaches? Parks? Yards?

What will you be looking/hunting for? Coins? Relics? Jewelry?

Are you in a location where you have "hot" or highly mineralized ground?

Parks, yard's and old house properties. Not sure about ground condition, I live in West Tennessee.

Parks, yard's and old house properties. Not sure about ground condition, I live in West Tennessee.

Your ground is probably at least of moderate mineralization, if not high. I assume you have some reddish clay in your area? Assuming I'm right, I'd focus on a machine with SMF (simultaneous multi-frequency).

Here's what I would do in your shoes. I'd sit tight for a few months and see how Nokta Makor's Legend detector performs. If it performs as well as initial reports, I'd get that detector then use the rest of your remaining budget for a good pinpointer (F-Pulse, Garrett Carrot, XP Mi-4, etc.) and other equipment like a good shovel, finds bag, etc.

If the Legend doesn't perform as well as initial reports, then look for a used Equinox 800. You should be able to find a good deal on one as people sell theirs to get the XP Deus II (well out of your budget range).

To add to the advice already given…
Many people start out on this hobby being quite satisfied with finding anything “metal”, and the easiest thing to target(and get a bunch of) is modern money, known as “clad” because of the copper/nickel sandwich they are made of. As time moves on and you grow into the hobby, many people find themselves looking to advance to a different level….they look ONLY for old coins. This is where the difference in between a “good” machine and a “GREAT” machine makes a huge difference, especially if you are planning on hunting public ground. Metal detectors have been around in usable form for 50 years, so you have to either settle for what’s been dropped recently(clad) or you have to become very good to retrieve coins either quite deep or coins mixed with heavy trash and iron….or BOTH. I will GUARANTEE you that when you find your first SILVER coin, the game will change. Immediately. You will not really want to collect modern “lunch money”, you will very likely catch “old coin fever”, and IF you do, you will want to have made an important decision about what metal detector to buy in the first place long ago, which is NOW. As has been said, the correct choice in my mind for your described area and potential choice of targets in the future, a Silmultaneous Multi Frequency machine will be what will serve you well. They have the ability to “handle” nastier ground conditions and also have excellent target I.D. ability.
You must also consider how much weight your arm will be able to swing comfortably for an hour, two hours, 5 hours….as the progression continues you’ll be in the field longer because, well…that’s just what happens. There are 3 fairly major players in the SMF game. Minelab, XPDeus2 and Nokta. The XP Deus2 and the Nokta Legend are the 2 very new releases, with the Minelab machines being around the longest. You’ll want to do a fair amount of YouTube watching about all of these machines to look at specs, see live performances and decide which one might be the right one for what you are going to be doing, now AND in 5 years.
Being a Minelab user since 2015, I can attest to their outright MAGNIFICENT performance in finding deep old coins in difficult conditions. HOWEVER….I am keeping my mind open about the newly minted XP Deus2, though it’s MSRP does come in at around 1,500$. It is ridiculously LIGHT and FAST, and from what has been posted on YouTube so far, it will see DEEP coins quite well. You can either turn it on and go hunting or fiddle with it until the end of time, which allows a great “growth” potential. The same can be done with the Minelab and Nokta to a certain degree, but the XP looks outta sight. I’m not selling, just telling. And I am a HARDCORE Minelab guy.
Whatever you decide…keep in mind that when things are expensive, it’s generally for a good reason(s). Good luck in your search!

Thankyou and very informative. When I mentioned my budget, I was meaning for detector only. I have been researching supply's, which will be extra. Between yall's great response's, it will definitely be between these two.

Failed to mention on my recent Cardiologist visit, I mentioned to my Dr. about getting into metal detecting and he said go for it. Didn't offer any advice on getting it past my wife though.

On top of the performance factors of a NOX 800, the thing is the lightest machine I’ve ever swung, especially with a Detect Ed shaft upgrade. I’m a bit banged up from serving, and the light weight is probably one of the biggest pros of an 800. A decent stock 800 setup will be on the upper end of your budget, so maybe consider a used unit because you will surely be looking for a pointer and quality digger soon as well. Good luck!

On top of the performance factors of a NOX 800, the thing is the lightest machine I’ve ever swung, especially with a Detect Ed shaft upgrade. I’m a bit banged up from serving, and the light weight is probably one of the biggest pros of an 800. A decent stock 800 setup will be on the upper end of your budget, so maybe consider a used unit because you will surely be looking for a pointer and quality digger soon as well. Good luck!

If the factory data is correct the stock out of the box Deus 2 is approximately one pound lighter than the stock out of the box Equinox 800.

If the factory data is correct the stock out of the box Deus 2 is approximately one pound lighter than the stock out of the box Equinox 800.

That is good news for my elbow and shoulder. :lol: The D2 sure sounds/seems like a hell of a machine. I’m on the preorder list, hopefully they arrive soon. With a Nox 800 and a Deus 2, a guy/lady would be set for nearly all conditions and scenarios. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom