Equinox "bins"

Some folks refer to them as "bins", Minelab's manual calls them "tone breaks". Either way, the term refers to the ability to fully customize the tone pitch and/or volume for a selected range of TID segments. If you just turn on the detector and go, you are using the factory default "tone breaks" or "bins" - nothing wrong with that - the machine sounds "normal" or as the Minelab engineers deemed it to sound out of the box. Or if you want to, you can customize the tone breaks and make the detector sound off almost any way you wish. For example, I have my own "Park/Coin Shooting" settings where -9 to 11 sounds off like iron and with minimum volume; 12-13 (nickel range) sounds off mid-tone/medium volume; 14-18 (common junk range) is a lower mid-tone, medium volume; 19-23 (IHP and more desirable non-ferrous range) is a medium-high tone, high volume; 24-40 (high conductive) is highest tone, high volume. The beauty of "bins" or "tone breaks" is you can truly customize the sounds of the detector to suit your needs or tastes, and hunt more by sound than staring at the screen. For me, I strategically place the tone breaks at TID values that help differentiate potential junk...in my soil, modern square pull tabs often ring up varying between 18-19 on the Equinox. Setting my tone break right between the two helps me ID a target as a likely pulltab without even looking at the screen in a park thanks to the distinctive tone variation as I swing over the target. Same with the break between 23-24...high probability of a crushed bottle cap in my soil in a park.

You certainly don't have to stick to the 1, 2, 5, or 50 tones called out in the manual either - the customizable tone breaks creates the flexibility to turn the machine into a 3 or 4 tone detector if you want, as well. In fact, I've dabbled with using threshold to create my own version of a six tone machine. Almost limitless flexibility...it's one of my absolutely favorite aspects of the Equinox.

Don't be too alarmed if they seem confusing to set up in the beginning on the 800. So easy to do on the CTX3030 which came out in 2012.

Very useful setting up cherry picking program. Say you are only interested in CW bullets, then you can make the bullet TID range volume louder and pitch higher so bullets really stand out when you are hunting for bullets.

Back
Top Bottom