Detector Advice Needed

AV 81

Good evening gents,
I'm looking for some input/solutions for a unique challenge I have. I'm trying to find a cave on a mountainside that was blasted shut over 70 years ago, metal bars or cages covering the entrance underneath the blasted material. The problem is this material is gravelly dirt and loose chunks of basalt ranging from marble to human head size. The depth of the metal should be about 3-5 feet. Does anybody have any recommendations, detector or coil wise, for getting through this rock?
I currently have a Garret Ace 300 and Pro Pointer. Been looking to see if Garrett makes a coil for this sort of thing, but haven't seen anything. Been metal detecting off and on for several years, my 300 can pick up big stuff 2 1/12 feet at best in clean dirt.
Thanks for looking and any advice is welcomed,
Thanks and Best Regards

Good evening gents,
I'm looking for some input/solutions for a unique challenge I have. I'm trying to find a cave on a mountainside that was blasted shut over 70 years ago, metal bars or cages covering the entrance underneath the blasted material. The problem is this material is gravelly dirt and loose chunks of basalt ranging from marble to human head size. The depth of the metal should be about 3-5 feet. Does anybody have any recommendations, detector or coil wise, for getting through this rock?
I currently have a Garret Ace 300 and Pro Pointer. Been looking to see if Garrett makes a coil for this sort of thing, but haven't seen anything. Been metal detecting off and on for several years, my 300 can pick up big stuff 2 1/12 feet at best in clean dirt.
Thanks and Best Regards

I notice that there are a number of magnetometers on the market designed for deeper applications. Doubtless, there are some full blown metal detectors up to the task. I haven't found need for this type of detection yet so I haven't spent time researching the deep seeking devices. In suspect they are high end devices for hard core treasure/artifact seekers.

Good evening gents,
Thanks and Best Regards
The Reconnaissance Under Ground company should be able to help you.
They specialize in this sort of thing.
The phone numbers are on the website.
http://hotfootrug.com/Delta_Pulse.html

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm actually getting somewhere now. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to close this cave I'm looking for and I want to find it and perhaps find out why. Appreciate the feedback!!

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm actually getting somewhere now. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to close this cave I'm looking for and I want to find it and perhaps find out why. Appreciate the feedback!!

If it is a mine and you are in mining country, it may have been an early closure for safety reasons. Your state mining regulatory agency may be able to shed some light on the thing.

@ Rock Jock

No it's not a mine, wish it was so it would be easier to find. According to stories i've been told it was blasted shut because according to Forest Service, it was to prevent people ' from dumping old gas/garbage' in it. According to other accounts the real reason was because somebody found artifacts in it that were contemporary with the early native American tribes, but were distinctly different. Supposedly slag from metal working among other things was found. Ancient NA legends speak of when their ancestors first came into valley that this cave is located in, they came in contact with 'men with beards who grew crops and lived in houses'. According to the legend they attacked and later ate these men they found. Take from it what you will.
I'm convinced of two things, the cave exists and somebody went through a lot of trouble to close it.

@ Rock Jock

No it's not a mine, wish it was so it would be easier to find. According to stories i've been told it was blasted shut because according to Forest Service, it was to prevent people ' from dumping old gas/garbage' in it. According to other accounts the real reason was because somebody found artifacts in it that were contemporary with the early native American tribes, but were distinctly different. Supposedly slag from metal working among other things was found. Ancient NA legends speak of when their ancestors first came into valley that this cave is located in, they came in contact with 'men with beards who grew crops and lived in houses'. According to the legend they attacked and later ate these men they found. Take from it what you will.
I'm convinced of two things, the cave exists and somebody went through a lot of trouble to close it.

The men with beards were gnomes :laughing:

How high or big is the mountain? Invariably while building the cages or any other kind of metal work, fasteners were dropped or cut pieces of metal, after blasting the cave closed some of metal scraps may have swept down to the base of the mountain, if you detect in those areas and find any remnants of metal work the cave would probably be directly above you, that would narrow down your search I would think. Just trying to think out of the box. :goodluck:

I would try to find a used Fisher FX-3.

I Paid $75.00 for mine used. You can cover ground fast and it goes deep.

Thanks again guys for more input

haha you guys have a a heart of humor I see. I faithfully promise to post any pictures of any remains or artistic renditions of knomes I may find! I haven't heard of any mushroom cultivation but.....I do occasionally find Morels which are mighty fine eating by me.
Thanks for advice on the Fisher and Garret twin box gti, I'm gonna try and track one of them down!

That's mighty good deduction on the cuttings for the cages, I will definitely employ that tactic!
The mountain is quite steep, a little over 1000 feet. It overlooks the joining of two small rivers and overlooks the nearby hills and bluffs

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom