Gold paydirt.

metaladdict

Elite Member
I thought it would be fun to try panning some paydirt from Alaska, so I bought a 4 ounce package for $20.
The tiny specs are the gold opposite the sand.
There is a lot of tiny gold. It was fun.
I got it from a huge online warehouse.

Attachments

• IMG_20211201_060012728.jpg
    IMG_20211201_060012728.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 427
Not bad for one little bag-o-dirt. That reminds me that I know a guy that still has a bag of Alaska paydirt he bought in the 1990s, and hasn't opened yet.:no:

Nice work Metal :)

My son and I have gone to the rivers here, twice so far, to sluice, rocker box for gold, the results of which ends up needing to be panned out. To me, panning is totally laborious! Takes me a good deal of time to get down to the black sand and gold flakes. I think we ended up with 8 to 4 or 5 flakes each time out (usually only last a few hours). Unless a nugget or even a picker comes about, or my son gets tired of ever going, I won’t continue lol. The good part is father son time for sure.

Last edited:
Nice work Metal :)

My son and I have gone to the rivers here, twice so far, to sluice, rocker box for gold, the results of which ends up needing to be panned out. To me, panning is totally laborious! Takes me a good deal of time to get down to the black sand and gold flakes. I think we ended up with 8 to 4 or 5 flakes each time out (usually only last a few hours). Unless a nugget or even a picker comes about, of my son gets tired of ever going, I won’t continue lol. The good part is father son time for sure.

I agree with you G.S. btw I finally passed 15k posts!:hi5::confetti:

I bought a bag like that for my nephews one year for Christmas. We had a great time.

I've been thinking about getting back into gold panning lately. I've found some flake in the Colorado rivers in years past. I even have an automatic gold pan that I've never even tried yet.

I've been thinking about getting back into gold panning lately. I've found some flake in the Colorado rivers in years past. I even have an automatic gold pan that I've never even tried yet.

Does Colorado allow suction dredges? They are outlawed in California.
I heard in Oregon you have to use your hands now to recover gold???

Does Colorado allow suction dredges? They are outlawed in California.
I heard in Oregon you have to use your hands now to recover gold???

You can use them with a permit only in Colorado. I hear they are restricting the use of suction dredges in Oregon. I've never gone beyond a basic gold pan and metal detector though. I need to do some more prospecting, but there is lots of claims south of Denver so research is going to be tricky. There are a few claims in my local area, but I don't think there is much gold to be found.

Back
Top Bottom