• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cleaning Burned Silver

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Found this several years ago at a site where there had been a fire. It was totally black. I only recently decided to clean it. Boiled it in an aluminum lined pan with some baking soda. It was still black. I took a brass brush to it and finally got some shiny but it's like clad that has been tumbled with pennies. Would prefer it to look more silver. Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN4752.JPG
    DSCN4752.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 517
Well, I was under the impression this was a silver coin, even though I knew silver is pre 1964. I thought they made an exception for silver dollars, but this is just a piece of clad.

A jeweler told me about this. He said there's no way to clean it, anyway.

Kennedy half dollar coins were 90% silver in 1964, 40% silver from 1965 to 1970 and contained no silver after.

'64 coins are worth +-$12, '65 to '70 coins are worth +-$5 and 71 on are worth a whole 50 cents.

Ike dollars were made in clad composition for circulation and in 40% silver in government packages for collectors. The 40% silver collector coins had two different types of packaging. The BU coins came in a blue envelope and the proof coins came in a brown box.

Kennedy half dollar coins were 90% silver in 1964, 40% silver from 1965 to 1970 and contained no silver after.

'64 coins are worth +-$12, '65 to '70 coins are worth +-$5 and 71 on are worth a whole 50 cents.

Actually there were some 40% silver Kennedys minted in 1976 but none were intended for circulation. You could only get them in the special three piece mint sets and proof sets.

Back
Top Bottom