Problem with Equinox 800

CallMeGrey

Forum Supporter
I've had my Nox 800 almost 2 months now and really happy with how it works. One thing I noticed when I first got it is that it seemed to take a lot of pressure to use the on/off button. I basically have had to use my thumbnail to push fairly hard to turn it on and off.

Today, after digging a target, it would not turn on again. I had to take off my glove and REALLY push hard with my thumbnail to finally get it turned on. I don't want to send it in right now with only about 3-4 weeks left in the season - but I will be sending it in.

So, do you all turn it off each time you dig, or can I just leave it on while I'm digging a target? I've been turning it off and back on again for every dig.

Anyone else experience this issue?

I've had my Nox 800 almost 2 months now and really happy with how it works. One thing I noticed when I first got it is that it seemed to take a lot of pressure to use the on/off button. I basically have had to use my thumbnail to push fairly hard to turn it on and off.

Today, after digging a target, it would not turn on again. I had to take off my glove and REALLY push hard with my thumbnail to finally get it turned on. I don't want to send it in right now with only about 3-4 weeks left in the season - but I will be sending it in.

So, do you all turn it off each time you dig, or can I just leave it on while I'm digging a target? I've been turning it off and back on again for every dig.

Anyone else experience this issue?

I never turn mine off during a hunt. Just asking...what gave you the thought you needed to power it down?

Just asking...what gave you the thought you needed to power it down?

Well, I just thought it would prolong how long my battery charge lasted and also that it wouldn't be beeping while I was digging. I take it that I shouldn't be doing that... :shrug: :lol:

Just wanted to add: It's like when I lay a flashlight down - I turn it off when not actively using it.

Last edited:
I turn mine on when the hunt starts and turn it off when the hunt is over. My typical days are 6 to 8 hours start to finish. I don't even power off for a lunch break.

Well, I just thought it would prolong how long my battery charge lasted and also that it wouldn't be beeping while I was digging. I take it that I shouldn't be doing that... :shrug: :lol:

Just wanted to add: It's like when I lay a flashlight down - I turn it off when not actively using it.

I find that odd. Just because I set something down, doesn't mean I'm done using it. I only turn off my flashlight when I'm done using it for the day/session or when I'm not going to use it for a while.

So when I dig, I keep my machine on. But if there's a moment where I might be digging for otherwise not detecting for "a while," sure, I'll turn off my detector. But routine digging and pinpointing? I keep it on.

Yours is the first Equinox I have heard of with this problem. I think you have it correct. Contact Minelab when your season is over.

I turn mine on when the hunt starts and turn it off when the hunt is over. My typical days are 6 to 8 hours start to finish. I don't even power off for a lunch break.

Most of my sessions last 1-4 hours and my machine is on the whole time. If I did take a lunch break, I'd turn it off, though, but that's just me.

If pinpointers didn't have those pesky "lost" alarms, I'd keep my pinpointer on most of the time, too. Now that I think about it, is there a way to turn off the "lost" alarm on a Fisher F-Pulse? I'm gonna go check...

I have heard of stuck and hard to push power and wireless activation buttons on the Equinox. Minelab will fix it.

There is absolutely no reason to turn off your Nox while recovering a target. If your 800 is “beeping” a lot while you are recovering a target it could be one of four things. You are experiencing EMI interference from your handheld pinpointer, from a nearby EMI source, you put your coil down on top of another target or your coil is too close to your digging tool.

I turn on my handheld pinpointer and do a noise cancel on my Equinox before I start hunting so they will not interfere with each other too much. Also, I do not put the coil near my dig hole. I put my Equinox down at a right angle to me and my dig hole so say the hole is at 12 on clock, my Equinox and coil are pointing at 3 on a clock face. That keeps the coil well away from my pinpointer and tools. I hunt in public parks a lot so I put the arm cuff over my right heel when I”m down on the ground in case someone tries to come up on me and snatch my detector……… I will know. If you have your sensitivity too high for the EMI in the area or from your pinpointer, even after doing a noise cancel, just turn your Nox down a notch or two. Instead of turning off your Nox while digging a target, just lower the sensitivity some if the beeping is bothering you.

Well, I guess I'll just turn it on when I start and turn it off when I'm done detecting. That'll get me through the next couple weeks I'm sure.

Thanks for the help guys!

You’ve already heard all you need to Scott. Leave it on. YOU will run out of power before IT does. And no, that is not “age humor”.:lol:

You’ve already heard all you need to Scott. Leave it on. YOU will run out of power before IT does. And no, that is not “age humor”.:lol:

My Equinox definitely lasts longer than I do! LOL

My sessions are about 1-4 hours and I don't even worry about recharging between sessions. I try to keep it charged, but if I didn't put it on the charger and the opportunity comes to go hunt I have no worries about going out again. I think you probably have to be a dawn to dusk hunter to use all the charge on a Nox.

Well, I guess I'll just turn it on when I start and turn it off when I'm done detecting. That'll get me through the next couple weeks I'm sure.

Thanks for the help guys!

Coming across strong here maybe but,,,simply don't guess about not turning a detector off, in-between digging holes, stay on. I have never ever read or heard of anyone ever turning off the detector like that since being in the hobby. I expect that your on-off switch is now likely fatigued if it has been hammered off and on multiple times during every hunt.

I could not hold back, sorry.

I don't use the Nox but have the same issue on the E-Trac. My E-Trac of course is ancient and has had a ton of use. I never turn it on and off between digs. I do noise cancel frequently, and that button has grown weary, as has the pinpoint button.

What works for me is hitting the buttons at an odd angle or off-center. I think in my case they have just gotten a bit off-kilter over the years. Perhaps something to try, I dunno.

Yesterday I hunted for about five hours and didn’t even start from a completely fully charged battery and I still had two bars showing when I finished. This from a 3+ year old battery. I think I got my nox in April of 2018.

Like CallMeGray, my detector's on\off button is also stiff and hard to turn on. Unlike him, I leave mine on during the whole duration of a hunt.

I could really turn that post into something it was never intended to be, but since Craig will see it I’ll leave it alone…:lol:

Ha, no problem with age humor. One reason I love metal detecting is that it gets me out and about. Some people would be surprised at the miles we walk. Even though most of my miles are getting to and from the hunt site to my car.

Yesterday I hunted for about five hours and didn’t even start from a completely fully charged battery and I still had two bars showing when I finished. This from a 3+ year old battery. I think I got my nox in April of 2018.

Had my 800 as long as NC Toad. battery never ran down on hunts and often used it multiple hunts between charges. but my hunts averaged 2-3 hours. When it got down to the last bar, I would charge it.

Like one poster said, you would probably have to do an all day hunt to run down the battery.

I have the same button issue on my Nox, but with the backlight button. Have to press hard with the point of a finger or it doesn't register. Ie, if I press it with my thumb flat it does not work. Been like that since I got it.

Back
Top Bottom