Renaissance Wax

EMGdetecting

I usually clean my older wheaties (the ones I consider keepers) with water and a tooth brush. The coins always came out looking the best within a minute of running them under the water (while they were still wet). After they dried off they always looked horrible. So I just bought some renaissance wax in hopes that it would retain the good look. When I tried it on this 1912 wheat cent, I got the same results as water... I just applied some with my finger, it looked way better, then once the wax was no longer wet on the coin, it went back to its worse state. Has anyone else had any experience with Renaissance wax and knows how to keep the coin looking in better shape. Any help would be appreciated thanks!!

—the first image is the coin before Renaissance wax
—second picture is while it was wet (5 seconds after wax was applied)
—third picture is a few minutes after the wax was applied (once it dried)
795b7fba39de73176bfe2cd668276d49.jpg

8c350e51594ef3a62883221aad061ee8.jpg

6a9b81c6a166db29ae646979fd5660c5.jpg

-Ethan

I use it for some of the relics I find. I've never been told or lead to believe that it would ever improve anything. It's a wax to block moisture and preserve items in current state. If you read the wiki on it, it's too add a moisture barrier for items your want to save.

I heat a cleaned coin up with a hair dryer or put it on a hot gas burner, not lit.
Than touch an unlit wax candle to the warm coin so some wax melts pools out a little but isn't thick. It will fill in a coin that is rough and porous and give it a shiny, wet look.

I have only used Ren Wax to protect my ancient bronze coins from "bronze disease", not for cleaning. I don't think it would help clean a coin or make it more readable.

-- Tom

Wax is for finished product, very good choice.
You can put coins in jug with rocks and shake it for a long time.
Tumbler would be best with bb's, hot water and dish soap.
There's no value, you just want clean and readable
Shells or soft media would take days of running
This is my experience, others will vary.

I use it for some of the relics I find. I've never been told or lead to believe that it would ever improve anything. It's a wax to block moisture and preserve items in current state. If you read the wiki on it, it's too add a moisture barrier for items your want to save.

Ok I understand now. Thanks for clarifying that.

-Ethan

Wax is for finished product, very good choice.
You can put coins in jug with rocks and shake it for a long time.
Tumbler would be best with bb's, hot water and dish soap.
There's no value, you just want clean and readable
Shells or soft media would take days of running
This is my experience, others will vary.

I usually tumble my coins worth face value, but I could try my older coins too. Thanks for the advice!

-Ethan

Back
Top Bottom