Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds

Old 12-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Elite Member

Ok, here is a pic of the back of the item

Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM

Wow, I dug something very similar to that, same size, composition. I don't think it had the design however, unless it was very worn. Good thing I read these threads!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM

So, I will admit to being something of a lurker on this forum, but that's only because my fascination happens to lie with local history, and as such I am an active member on the Maine forum. However, I do like coming on and seeing the various historical finds folks have posted. When I saw this post this morning, I just about lost it...

I dug this a couple months ago, and I, as well, let it sit on my shelf with all my buttons, not knowing what it was or even how to research it. I'm absolutely thrilled to find it may have a direct tie with the Revolution! It's at least a jumping-off place for research... Notice that mine has only one post on the back...
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM

Wow that amazizes me!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by George79 View post
So, I will admit to being something of a lurker on this forum, but that's only because my fascination happens to lie with local history, and as such I am an active member on the Maine forum. However, I do like coming on and seeing the various historical finds folks have posted. When I saw this post this morning, I just about lost it...

I dug this a couple months ago, and I, as well, let it sit on my shelf with all my buttons, not knowing what it was or even how to research it. I'm absolutely thrilled to find it may have a direct tie with the Revolution! It's at least a jumping-off place for research... Notice that mine has only one post on the back...
They're coming out of the woodwork! Three cheers for crowd-sourced information!

2020 - Coppers 10, Silvers 2 Best Coin - 1842 Half Dime

Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Elite Member

yeah those get mis-labeled often , i've dug one a few years ago (with same design) and seen about four or five others with the same design dug in the last few years. its a horse mount ( colonial rosette , bit boss , saddle decoration , ect. , ect.) almost all that i've seen found were not in any Rev. War activity area and i do not believe they were a military item either.

CH

Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by George79 View post

Very cool George79 and thanks for sharing yours also. Ive been searching all day long and trying to find out more info on it. I seen that some stuff didnt necessarily have the regiment numbers on them and i believe it wasnt till after the 1750's that they started using the regiment #. Whats odd is i had found this piece within 15 feet of where i found my shield and this is a 1700's sword hanger. Odd coincidence maybe but this could have been a stop off area for the soilders.Mine was found in an area where Revolution war activity was present. As Benedict Arnold Burned down New London Ct. And where i found mine was less than 20 miles from this area. This sword holder is just giving me a little more hope. Not saying its a definate thing but it gives me Hope.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Elite Member

sorry but that item you have is not a sword hanger but often gets mis labeled as one also , its called a "swivel loop" or "gagloop" and goes to a horse harness . they still make close variants of these heres a couple of pictures of them .

CH
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

Well whatever it is, it's a cool find!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by copper head View post
sorry but that item you have is not a sword hanger but often gets mis labeled as one also , its called a "swivel loop" or "gagloop" and goes to a horse harness . they still make close variants of these heres a couple of pictures of them .

CH
Nice ID copperhead - it's important we get these things right... Of course I speculate like wild on all of my whatzits... how often I'm correct, who knows...

2020 - Coppers 10, Silvers 2 Best Coin - 1842 Half Dime

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Supporter

I dug one of these shields also.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:56 PM

WOW what a find congrats did you find it in your state???
dont sell it keep it

Old 04-09-2014, 05:13 PM

Hi Steve .. I see that you posted this several years ago and i was wondering if you have done anything with this piece? I too have found this identical piece and have found no information on it other than your post. we have found many many relics from the rev war (we live close to the monmouth battlefield)
I just snapped some pics with my phone so you can see i am talking about the same piece, will of course take better pics once i clean it up a bit
I am attaching image here
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Elite Member

amazing find congrats!

Old 04-27-2014, 01:26 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by S.Klick View post
Hi all after doing some research tonight i came across a site Historical Shop.com and came across this badge. After seeing it i hurried into my room and recovered this from my shelf of finds, something that i had found this summer at one i my favorite places to hunt. In the article it reads this...
Revolutionary War 23rd British Regiment " The Prince Of Wales Regiment" incised design of the Three Plumes characteristic with this famous Regiment. Brass 1 1/4 shield design. Extremely Rare and noted in Don Troianis book on Revolutionary War Buttons describing the badge of this Regiment as Being the devise of the Prince Of Wales. The three Plumes coming out of a Princes Coronet. Rarer Than any Button from This Regiment. The one listed on this web site sold it for 750.00$. I am so pumped up about finding this Badge and also about going through some of my other finds from this area as they also may be from the Revolutionary War era. Thanks All for looking and HH. steve
Nice Find! I found something similar always thought it could be colonial military,has a different type of fastener on back,looks a little older type,not sure. Thanks for getting it closer to an ID. AWESOME Finds! Awesome Sword Hanger!! HH 401K
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2014, 01:32 AM
Elite Member

CH
dAN Ya know that gag loops didn't exist before 1879. Those gag loop IDs all hinge on a 20th c. unverified news paper clipping.The fact is the United States Patent Office ( The oldest documented record,invented,patent;not what someone said on some forum ). and the British Museum System which has a Coroner of museums that IDs all old finds found metal detecting, so when they say they are sword hangers I believe them. Not the unverified 20th c. gag loop sales clipping. Gag runners are a thing of the 20th century. Gag runners are more heavy duty like the ones in your sales clipping and are dug. 16-early1800s Sword Hangers are not as heavy duty as those gag loops in your sales clipping. We should Honor are fallen soldiers not trash their history.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by 401K View post
Ya know that gag loops didn't exist before 1879.
so things weren't invented before they kept patent numbers on them ?? Wrong Scott , things were invented long before they had patent dates including gag swivels and loops , besides your patent date you mentioned was only an "improvement" to the mentioned Gag swivel. Strike one

Those gag loop IDs all hinge on a 20th c. unverified news paper clipping.The fact is the United States Patent Office ( The oldest documented record,invented,patent;not what someone said on some forum ). and the British Museum System which has a Coroner of museums that IDs all old finds found metal detecting, so when they say they are sword hangers I believe them.
Believe what exactly Scott ?? the British museum don't even acknowledge the term or words "sword hanger" when you do a search on their website. 16th, 17th century swords were fastened onto a belt with a sword belt mount and not a "sword hanger" . that term was used later in the late 18th and 19th century here in the states. I suggest you do a search on their website yourself. strike two

I would dare you to write to the museum with your pictures of the item in question and ask them if your piece is a "sword hanger" or harness fitting (aka. gag swivel) and see what they say. then to honestly ( if your a man of integrity) post it here for all to see.

We should Honor are fallen soldiers not trash their history.
Sir , I believe it is you who is confused .... I do no or have ever done any "trashing" of our proud fallen warriors and will always hold them with the highest regard , please give some evidence of this . strike three and your out

Old 04-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Elite Member

I have a few of those too I will dig them out of the bucket

Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Elite Member

strike three and your out
dAN There ya go again Big words with no proof. what do you think you are this time the umpire LOL I don't care what they called them they even called them fasteners but they didn't dishonor their soldiers and call them gag loops. by the way the official name is gag runner no matter what you and your sales clipping calls them

Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 AM
Elite Member

look half way down the page http://www.colchestertreasurehunting...t2007finds.htm that seems big but like they say,they are twined with the Midwest historical research society USA plus the law that states that their finds has to be checked and ID with the British Museum. Makes that gag loop sales clipping look Fake.