Went back to an old spot and scored big time

CTpilgrim

Elite Member
With any open ground ( not covered by leaves) completely frozen here, I’ve been hitting some cellar holes in the woods. Today I went to a spot that I’ve hit before with my dad and didn’t have a whole lot of luck. It’s a very early cellar hole that is not on any maps that I have and the last time I was there I managed only 1 button. Now that I have an equinox I was looking for low tones around the cellar that my AT max would have missed. I found a busted up lead button that beeped a 5 on the equinox and then a tombac that beeped a 9 so I figured mission accomplished. This site is absolutely horrible ground for farming and I was figuring that it was probably land that was used by very poor farmers or possibly freed slaves, boy was I wrong. The cellar is on the only flat ground and the rest is hillside that is covered by piles of rocks and boulders. I saw one spot that looked slightly open and I figured I’d give it a shot thinking maybe I’d find a button or something. I was working my way downhill and got a 26 signal so I’m excited thinking I probably had a copper. It turned out to be a complete shoe buckle frame with the iron chaps still attached. I was pumped and kept searching. Next signal was a button, then another button, then another fancy button. I kept swinging and hit a 19-20 signal. Out popped the tiny silver disc and I couldn’t believe it. I used some of the newly fallen snow to clean it and it turned out to be a 1754 Ferdinand 5 half reale. This is only my second ever reale and I couldn’t be happier. I stood up and while still smiling I hit a 28 signal. This one turned out to be a Connecticut copper, in not great shape but I was able to ID it. I ended the day with the reale, the copper, the shoe buckle, a thimble, a very cool round buckle, and 6 buttons. I really can’t believe all that came out today because this is some of the worst ground I’ve seen and not sure why anyone would have ever lived here, but I’m glad they did. The picture of the cellar was taken last spring while on a hike with the dogs. Hope the ground stays somewhat thawed and hopefully everyone is having a good winter

Attachments

• 1A7DD4E1-DEE9-45AB-90A8-7A797FB44A08.jpg
    1A7DD4E1-DEE9-45AB-90A8-7A797FB44A08.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 406
  • 44B0AAE0-A5F1-4DAE-A329-AE3B55C7384D.jpg
    44B0AAE0-A5F1-4DAE-A329-AE3B55C7384D.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 420
  • 11D1ABC0-75B6-4D8B-97D7-EEC6EF32AAAA.jpg
    11D1ABC0-75B6-4D8B-97D7-EEC6EF32AAAA.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 402
  • 4F1B7657-4424-476D-BDFB-635082EF8E57.jpg
    4F1B7657-4424-476D-BDFB-635082EF8E57.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 396
  • 31E978F8-CAD0-4663-B88C-6E3507E0B490.jpg
    31E978F8-CAD0-4663-B88C-6E3507E0B490.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 412
With any open ground ( not covered by leaves) completely frozen here, I’ve been hitting some cellar holes in the woods. Today I went to a spot that I’ve hit before with my dad and didn’t have a whole lot of luck. It’s a very early cellar hole that is not on any maps that I have and the last time I was there I managed only 1 button. Now that I have an equinox I was looking for low tones around the cellar that my AT max would have missed. I found a busted up lead button that beeped a 5 on the equinox and then a tombac that beeped a 9 so I figured mission accomplished. This site is absolutely horrible ground for farming and I was figuring that it was probably land that was used by very poor farmers or possibly freed slaves, boy was I wrong. The cellar is on the only flat ground and the rest is hillside that is covered by piles of rocks and boulders. I saw one spot that looked slightly open and I figured I’d give it a shot thinking maybe I’d find a button or something. I was working my way downhill and got a 26 signal so I’m excited thinking I probably had a copper. It turned out to be a complete shoe buckle frame with the iron chaps still attached. I was pumped and kept searching. Next signal was a button, then another button, then another fancy button. I kept swinging and hit a 19-20 signal. Out popped the tiny silver disc and I couldn’t believe it. I used some of the newly fallen snow to clean it and it turned out to be a 1754 Ferdinand 5 half reale. This is only my second ever reale and I couldn’t be happier. I stood up and while still smiling I hit a 28 signal. This one turned out to be a Connecticut copper, in not great shape but I was able to ID it. I ended the day with the reale, the copper, the shoe buckle, a thimble, a very cool round buckle, and 6 buttons. I really can’t believe all that came out today because this is some of the worst ground I’ve seen and not sure why anyone would have ever lived here, but I’m glad they did. The picture of the cellar was taken last spring while on a hike with the dogs. Hope the ground stays somewhat thawed and hopefully everyone is having a good winter

Nice!! Can't help but smile when a reale pops out of the hole!

Congratulations! I'm dying to get into the woods, but I've been down for 2 1/2 weeks with Covid and Pneumonia. Happy Hunting!

Absolutely beautiful . And I love the site picture with the stacked-rock wall thing. And The targets just drip with history !

Question: When do you think this site ceased to be habitated ? Is there any new junk at all there ?

Absolutely beautiful . And I love the site picture with the stacked-rock wall thing. And The targets just drip with history !

Question: When do you think this site ceased to be habitated ? Is there any new junk at all there ?

I would say this place was all done in the very early 1800’s. There is absolutely no modern trash around so anything that comes up here is old. I only dug a couple .22 casings and not a single shotgun shell which is almost unheard of around here

..... There is absolutely no modern trash around so anything that comes up here is old. ...

We have found a few spots like that in CA (stage stops, defunct picnic sites, etc...), and ...... those are most memorable sites.

Each high conductor penny/dime sound has you "holding your breath". :cool3:

“Frozen” you say? You should teleport over here to southern Wisconsin! The ground is so hard that the ROAD seems soft!:lol: Seriously though, it’s terrible. I don’t know why I live here.

Kevin, we live here for that one day each year when it's 68 degrees, sunny, no humidity, and no mosquitoes. Perfect! :cool3:

People have said to me “If it was perfect all the time you’d take it for granted”. No, I definitely would not. But I also get that there are problems no matter where you go, that’s why there are snowbirds…chasing “perfect”. Our temp swings are stupidly radical…can be 100 in summer and -20 in the winter. Having that big of a swing takes a toll on the body, we weren’t designed for that. Only 2-3 months to go though!:lol:

Kevin, we live here for that one day each year when it's 68 degrees, sunny, no humidity, and no mosquitoes. Perfect! :cool3:

That is hilarious! Every year I dislike winter more but when it’s nice it makes all the misery worth it. My MDing season looks in jeopardy because even the woods are starting to feel like a parking lot. Fingers crossed and hoping for warmer weather and if not I guess I’ll start going ice fishing

Back
Top Bottom