Are my finds from the Middle Ages?

MSC-99

Hi,
I was detecting an old Anglo Saxon Motte dating back at least 1000 years, and I made some discoveries that I was unsure about.

In the pictures:
A nail made of Lead? why would anyone use lead for a nail?

Also the small coin-shaped piece of lead with holes in it?

I'd also like to know if these finds would be consistent with that period?

Any information is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 384
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 371
That lead nail might have been used for roofing tiles..hammer it and it deforms forming a seal. As for seals, that coin shaped thingy could be unused bale seal. I would think those items are not 1000 years old, maybe couple hundred.

Voriax

Hello msc-99
i do a lot of hunting around a motte and come up with tons of led including nails.
A lot of melted led, led weights and also weights for weaving looms.
The castle that stood on the motte once had a bailley and its marked on maps. Again from this area much led and a few small hand held agriculteral tools. The area is now large fields but when a bailey it would of been only that section used for growing food so would of been small strips of ground looked after by persons who lived within the bailley.
I see on your pics there is a led seal ( small coin shaped with holes ) i have found plenty of these, mine came from Holland and the seal was to show export tax had been paid, for my finds it was flax. Used around mid 1700s to mid 1800s.
I have attached a pic of a couple of led seals so you can cross reference.
Happy hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 203
Back
Top Bottom