Odd pin

Chipk

Elite Member
Found this today in the historic area of Fernandina Beach / Amelia Island, Florida.

The house where I found it ws yielded a Buffalo nickel and an 1887 Indian Head penny. The whole area has history back to the 1600s

Attachments

• D9A67309-1163-4EBD-9A8F-73F7CEA828A1.jpeg
    D9A67309-1163-4EBD-9A8F-73F7CEA828A1.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 360
  • 653E814E-AA1E-4E38-8504-A7B4792A7F3D.jpeg
    653E814E-AA1E-4E38-8504-A7B4792A7F3D.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 369
Nice find. I used to visit relatives in south east Georgia and went to that beach/town.

Since I can't detect year round, I set finds like that aside for research during the winter months. I'd go for the long shot and search census records for that address and see if a resident had the matching BCF initials.

Looks like an old fire dept badge ..ie, BFD... or B_____ Fire Dept. The letters were probably another metal type and appear to have fallen off.

If it is a "C" it could be Fire Company.
Back in the olden days most fire "departments" started as independent companies that grew and evolved into departments. That shield shape is not typical of modern fire symbols so it is very early or not fire related.

Just the thoughts of an amateur fire collector.

Looks like an old fire dept badge ..ie, BFD... or B_____ Fire Dept. The letters were probably another metal type and appear to have fallen off.

If it is a "C" it could be Fire Company.
Back in the olden days most fire "departments" started as independent companies that grew and evolved into departments. That shield shape is not typical of modern fire symbols so it is very early or not fire related.

Just the thoughts of an amateur fire collector.

I'm pretty sure that's a C.

The ordering of the letters don't make sense for Fire Company/Dept. "F" (fire) wouldn't be in the middle if the middle initial is large. Of course, not everybody follows monogram conventions, especially if it's not professionally made.

For people, a monogram with a large center letter goes First-Last-Middle. So, the persons initials would be BCF.

Found this today in the historic area of Fernandina Beach / Amelia Island, Florida.

The house where I found it ws yielded a Buffalo nickel and an 1887 Indian Head penny. The whole area has history back to the 1600s

Gotta be silver right?
Sweet find

How about Fernandina Beach Club. maybe it belonged to a lifeguard??

That is exactly what I was thinking. The workmanship seems like something made individually, perhaps in a small jeweller's shop, and not by some large manufacturer. Perhaps the good folks at this local History Museum may be able to shed some light on it or a "Fernandia Beach C___" to which it may refer?: https://ameliamuseum.org/

I agree with jl1252, makes the most realistic sense. I will however speak up and inform you my god forsaken adolescent mind comes projecting another fascinating acronym..

Reinstall a pin on that bad boy, and wear it as a badge of honor, the gods have spoken.

But again, refer back to jl1252’s post. 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom