What should I dig

MasonDixonMding

Elite Member
Say I have a field to hunt that you think could have civil war relics. So when I’m digging coins I’m looking for numbers from cents up. If I’m looking for gold I’m going to start digging lowers numbers. If I’m looking for relics what should I dig?
Everything or just some of the lower iron numbers?

Everything! Seriously.

Sent while sweeping and beeping using Tapatalk

No discrimination.
Dig absolutely everything and Don't throw anything away unless you are 100 percent sure it is modern junk.
There is always the possibility that weird mangled iron you think is junk will be identified as a rare cavalry accoutrement by some museum expert.

What machine? With my AT Pro in a field, I dig anything over 40. Usually it’s foil, but you just never know.

Say I have a field to hunt that you think could have civil war relics. So when I’m digging coins I’m looking for numbers from cents up. If I’m looking for gold I’m going to start digging lowers numbers. If I’m looking for relics what should I dig?
Everything or just some of the lower iron numbers?

If your in a field that has the possiblity of having civil war relics or anything from that era I would recommend turning all discrimination off, dont notch anything, and turn up sensetivity as high as you can without interference and dig everything or keep it mid way then go over again at full sense. Maybe go over the same spots later with a larger coil also.

What machine are you using?

No discrimination.
Dig absolutely everything and Don't throw anything away unless you are 100 percent sure it is modern junk.
There is always the possibility that weird mangled iron you think is junk will be identified as a rare cavalry accoutrement by some museum expert.

Yea, I made that mistake when I first started detecting. :frustrated:

If you are new to the F75 you will realize it’s a hyper sensitive machine . I love mine but it has a steeper learning curve than say an ATPro. I still like to use the default setting and I only hunt colonial era cellars . Have fun and a nice old hand forged intact square nail is still a neat find.

Yea, I made that mistake when I first started detecting. :frustrated:
Southern California is different from Civil War Maryland.
You have to dig every signal for CW stuff because CW metallurgy varied greatly.
Remember that CW soldiers carried gold and silver items on their person along with cheap tin stuff. Artillery projectiles and their fragments ring up just like scrap metal because they are scrap metal. The target id's are all over the place on the battlefields, campsites and lines of march.

Southern California is different from Civil War Maryland.
You have to dig every signal for CW stuff because CW metallurgy varied greatly.
Remember that CW soldiers carried gold and silver items on their person along with cheap tin stuff. Artillery projectiles and their fragments ring up just like scrap metal because they are scrap metal. The target id's are all over the place on the battlefields, campsites and lines of march.

Oh, I just meant in general, when I first started detecting, I threw out some finds without knowing any better.

Oh, I just meant in general, when I first started detecting, I threw out some finds without knowing any better.

Oh, I took what you first replied a different way from you intended.
Yes, I think we thew a couple of nice, large meteorites in the garbage before we understood what they were.

Back
Top Bottom