First Silver coin and its a...

waltr

Elite Member
Back to the 1800's farm today. Hot but worked in the wooded areas so shade was reasonable.
After digging 35 nails got another signal and said out loud "another nail".

Surprise:

Not only first silver but a Barber Quarter. I was always expecting a dime first.
See all the other finds including a 1700's fork and a steel button here:
https://www.metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=262517

Attachments

• IMG_9844 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9844 (Medium).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_9843 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9843 (Medium).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Great first silver! I've only found 1 of those. 35 nails to 1 Barber quarter ain't bad at all. :D Congratulations.

Not sure what u are using for a detector. But you should not be digging any nails. NONE. either the machine should discriminate iron or you should by what the detector is telling you. With the right machine or more practice. You will dig zero nails And save your back.

Anyway. That barber quarter is AWESOME! !!! every time you yank a silver coin from the ground, it's like digging treasure.

Not sure what u are using for a detector. But you should not be digging any nails. NONE. either the machine should discriminate iron or you should by what the detector is telling you. With the right machine or more practice. You will dig zero nails And save your back.

Anyway. That barber quarter is AWESOME! !!! every time you yank a silver coin from the ground, it's like digging treasure.

From post #11 above:
DIY PI, a modified Hammer Head. Here is a thread on the building my detector with pictures.
http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?24251-My-take-on-the-HH2

This is a Pulse Induction MD- these have nearly NO discrimination as I discuss in my Build thread. There is a low/high conductor difference, low tone-high tone verse high tone-low tone but iron can go either way depending on size and orientation.

If you go to my thread on detecting this old farm you will see many great iron items- 1700's forks, spoon and others so digging iron produces some interesting artifacts.
For old house sites the types of nails found has relevance to dating construction, repairs and thus when occupied. I am quite interested in the history of a site like this old farm so all these items are relevant. Coins are a bonus that puts a fixed 'oldest possible' date on activity.

Maybe some day I'll build and try a VLF MD but for now the PI MD works for me.

Back
Top Bottom