• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nox800 Tone Break With 50 Tones

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
Cut to the chase...I always run 50 tones. I want to set a higher tone for just the nickel VDI of 13 and still run 50 tones.

Can I set that single, individual tone or will I be forced to set the entire range surrounding "13", or go to 5 tones? TIA

I am no expert but I thought with 50 tones you were stuck with whatever they were. I was under the assumption you could only adjust the tones in the 5 tone segment. Even in 5 tones you could not make 12-13 high then 14-15 a lower tone.

Cut to the chase...I always run 50 tones. I want to set a higher tone for just the nickel VDI of 13 and still run 50 tones.

Can I set that single, individual tone or will I be forced to set the entire range surrounding "13", or go to 5 tones? TIA

No, adjusting tone pitch works differently in 50 tones than 5.

It helps to think about 50 tones as only have two tone bins/regions. It doesn't have 50 ranges/bins. But, instead of each region having one tone (like in 5 tone mode), each of the two regions has multiple tones. On the other hand, adjusting the volume/pitch of each tone in 50 tones isn't possible because they're either in the high or the low region/bin. Clear as mud?

There's an entire page in the manual devoted to trying to explain how 50 tone advanced audio adjustment works. It's worth reading and playing around with it. Because.....

You CAN adjust the break between those two regions/bins so that it's higher than the usual ferrous/non-ferrous split. You can also adjust the tones so that there's a bigger jump/gap between the lower tone bin and the higher one. Combine that with some notching out of specific numbers, etc...

Last edited:
I am no expert but I thought with 50 tones you were stuck with whatever they were. I was under the assumption you could only adjust the tones in the 5 tone segment. Even in 5 tones you could not make 12-13 high then 14-15 a lower tone.

You can adjust the 5 regions in 5 tone mode to make 12/13 (or whatever range you want) stand out as a high tone on an 800 but not on a 600.

You can adjust the 5 regions in 5 tone mode to make 12/13 (or whatever range you want) stand out as a high tone on an 800 but not on a 600.

Am I still forced to run 5 tones, and not my preferred 50 tones, to use the individual tonal change on 13?

Actually I'm not clear if I read this reply correctly. Are you saying that I'll have to set the entire region around 13, and not able to change each and every VDI in that range at will? I kinda added the 800 to my arsenal for the primary aspect of tone changes at the individual VDI, BUT still be able to run in 50 tones.

I'm not into gold prospecting, so the ability to run the 2 added upper frequencies singularly, kinda makes the 800 about the same as an Equinox 600.

I can live with it if that is the end result. Thanks for the help.

As said above, you are forced to use 5 tones if you want to change the actual pitch sound for a particular VDI or range.

Just as with the CTX, 50 tone is not as customizable as many of the other options. And even in 5 tone, the 600 is not as customizable as the 800. And for various reasons, no....the 800 is not a 600 and the reason for the higher price. It does have the ability to make higher regions sound lower and softer...you just have to understand how to do it. Minelab most likely made the 600 for the people who weren’t going to get into the fine tuning anyway and didn’t want to monkey with that stuff. But on the 800, you can monkey with it.

Back
Top Bottom