Which vanquish

OwlEyes

Hi, I got a Vanquish 340 on a whim before a trip to the beach in July. I am in Miami for a while but my vanquish 340 is in Atlanta. I see a lot of discussion about the 440 and the 540 on here, but not much about the 340. I am wondering if it is worth having someone mail me the 340 or if it would be better to just get a second 340 (could share with a friend) or get a 440 or 540. I am very new to metal detecting and I have no idea if the 450 and 540 are that much better. The 540 has Bluetooth but I am not sureif any of their headphones would fit my little head. Any ideas?

If i remember correctly the 540 and 440 are going to offer more segments in volume and sensitivity. They both will pinpoint, something the 340 will not do. If you buy the 440 you are buying the same coil you already have. If you buy the 540 you will get a bigger coil.

You might consider adding a Simplex+ to your arsenal. It is waterproof, rugged, and costs less than the 440.

I am pretty new to this also, just one year under my belt. early on i found myself with a Vanquish 540 and the Simplex+. I found the Simplex+ more to my liking.

With the climate and population density in Miami, the beaches should provide some nice finds even during the Winter months. The Simplex is waterproof but is a single frequency detector and good for dry sand. The Vanquish will handle all conditions on the beach: dry sand, wet sand, salt water and freshwater as long as you do not get the control box wet. For $200 our 340 has swung way above its price point on the beach and in the dirt. Sometimes we wish we had purchased the 440 to have the pinpoint feature.
Summary: We would not be in a beach area like Miami without a detector of some kind and a scoop. I would check on shipping costs to Miami for the 340 and then go down the list calling the forum sponsors here and see how much it will be to drop ship you a 440 or 540. Then you can compare the two options to see which appears to be the least cost effective way to get a detector. The third option is to check facebook marketplace and see what you can pick up cheap and quick locally.

With the climate and population density in Miami, the beaches should provide some nice finds even during the Winter months. The Simplex is waterproof but is a single frequency detector and good for dry sand. The Vanquish will handle all conditions on the beach: dry sand, wet sand, salt water and freshwater as long as you do not get the control box wet. For $200 our 340 has swung way above its price point on the beach and in the dirt. Sometimes we wish we had purchased the 440 to have the pinpoint feature.
Summary: We would not be in a beach area like Miami without a detector of some kind and a scoop. I would check on shipping costs to Miami for the 340 and then go down the list calling the forum sponsors here and see how much it will be to drop ship you a 440 or 540. Then you can compare the two options to see which appears to be the least cost effective way to get a detector. The third option is to check facebook marketplace and see what you can pick up cheap and quick locally.

Thank you! Now I am even more sure I need a detector here in Miami. I have a pinpointer here in Miami - Garrett AT (carrot). With that is it still good to have the pinpointer mode?

Last edited:
If i remember correctly the 540 and 440 are going to offer more segments in volume and sensitivity. They both will pinpoint, something the 340 will not do. If you buy the 440 you are buying the same coil you already have. If you buy the 540 you will get a bigger coil.

You might consider adding a Simplex+ to your arsenal. It is waterproof, rugged, and costs less than the 440.

I am pretty new to this also, just one year under my belt. early on i found myself with a Vanquish 540 and the Simplex+. I found the Simplex+ more to my liking.

Thank you! I hadn’t thought about the coil size. Seems like a good idea to get the 540 (or Pro Pack) and get a different size coil.

Last edited:
I think most people skip the handheld pinpointer on the beach. Digging in the dirt the hand held pointer lets you know quickly if the target is in the plug or in the hole.

On the beach with a long handled scoop you rarely have to get down on your knees.

And given the width of most beach scoops, 6" to 8" inches, you probably do not need the feature on your detector. Just hitting a signal at right angles with the 340 should be exact enough.

Thank you! Now I am even more sure I need a detector here in Miami. I have a pinpointer here in Miami - Garrett AT (carrot). With that is it still good to have the pinpointer mode?
We always have a carrot on the beach for when shaking the scoop or spreading/dividing the scoop pile does not work. Pinpoint mode just speeds up the digging/finding process. The carrot helps find the very tiny objects. With the price of scrap gold, you do not want to miss the small parts of jewelry.

Thank you @John Madill and @atomicbrh - I'm going to look for a 540 and a scoop from the vendors on this forum. Those two added to my current Carrot would seem to be a good setup to comb the beach in Miami. I'd be up for finding really small things - like needles in a hay stack. I really appreciate your help! Hopefully I will be posting pictures of fun things that find!

If money isn't an issue, get the 540. As someone already said, it has a bigger coil, which will be great for the beach. It also has wireless (maybe the 440 does too, not sure) and adjustable iron bias, although I doubt the latter will be much of a benefit at the beach, but I'm not sure.

I purchased a 540 in the spring this year, that thing is a coin magnet and easy to use...

I just got a Vanquish 540 Pro pack tonight, early Christmas present from the wife.
Got zero hours on it.
Charging everything up as I type this.
I'm so siked right now... :yes:

Back
Top Bottom