Funny Things that Happen While Detecting

my 2 funniest beach detecting experiences happened many years ago...during the winter this old couple walked up and the woman asked if i was looking for water... :?:i looked at the sea and didnt know what to say and the other time a group of pain in the neck kids were pestering the lie out of me till? one of em asked what i was lookin for...they did a sharp exit when i said i was looking for unexploded bombs? :grin:

I told this one lady i was looking for busted water pipe...she belived it.

But if they ask what am i looking for i just reply, whatever i find and if they start asking

alot of questions i just walk fast and away. I hunt usually early in the morning so no ones around.

I also try and hunt early. I just don't like nosy people.

Saturday morning I was at a local park about 7am. An older guy stopped from walking his dog and came over to me. After asking what I was doing, I told him I was a city employee and was weed whacking.

It seemed to satisfy him and he walked away.

Carol K said:
Since summer is on the way, you are going to experience people coming up and trying to talk to you and ask what you're doing. How do you handle these busybodies? What do you say?

For instance, we were out detecting a beach and two young ladies came over and asked if I was looking for radioactive material!

Several times we have been accused of "clamming" in the off season. :lol:

Let's hear some things that people have said to you, asked you, or some funny experiences.
The best comment I received was when I was hunting the Univ of Oregon. A young student, who appeared to be of Asian desent, approached me and asked in all seriousness if I were looking for "land mines". I said no and explained a little bit on the hobby of metal detecting. I wolud imagine that where she might have come from the searching for land mines was a common practice.

I find most folks are friendly...maybe it helps to be standing there with a sharpened screwdriver in my hand...get an occasional " if you find any gold, it's mine...had a guy last week tell me mine was the first detector he'd ever seen..that's unbelievable ! Roadrunner_426 1912 dime 1898 I.H. Civil War cannonball Diamond ring

Had the local police come to the house and asked to use my machine. Said they had seen me with a detector and needed to use it to find a broken chain on a swing set. Yes, i let them use it and when they brought it back they had a new set of batteries in it. :lol:

When kids get to following me being pesty I let them see me dig a coin or two then I ask them if they want to dig something. I find a nice spot for them with no signals and tell them to dig right here. If they dig deep enough they will find the treasure. Keeps them busy for quite awhile sometimes. Amazing how deep they will dig :roll:

One time while detecting the lawn in between some apartments, a woman came out and asked me , sourly, what I was doing. Not being magnanimous at the time I said "driving up snakes". She took off screaming and ran back into her house.

Another time a kid asked me if I ever found anything with "that thing". I answered only "no", he apparently wasn't too interested in saying more. If a kid shows intelligent interest I always explain it all to them. Steve in so az

The next time any of you have someone that throws coins ahead of you, give them the show they are looking for. Find the coin and do the chicken dance and look right at them and say. WOW!!!! I can't believe it, this is the rarest (Penny, nickel etc. Whatever they are throwing) I've ever found, it's gotta be worth at LEAST $2,500 and give em a show yourself. :lol: See how many of them start buying detectors.

i live in france and have once been asked if i was loooking for truffles :lol: it would be wicked if one could find truffles with a detector :roll:

Couple years ago I was detecting in the county fairgrounds. Head down, being serious and digging everything that beeped. Suddenly I had the feeling I was'nt alone. I looked behind me and here comes an army of blaze orange coveralls. They were county prisoners clearing the debris from the 5 acre lot. surprised, I looked up and saw the guard LHAO. We shot the breeze for a while and he said to carry on with what I was doing. He was just getting the trash out of my way.. :grin:
Gil

cchughs said:
When kids get to following me being pesty I let them see me dig a coin or two then I ask them if they want to dig something. I find a nice spot for them with no signals and tell them to dig right here. If they dig deep enough they will find the treasure. Keeps them busy for quite awhile sometimes. Amazing how deep they will dig :roll:
i was one of those kids many years ago :lol:

This just happend about 3 hours ago.....

I am Detecting next door at the vacant house that is going to be torn down soon that my landlord is watching for the owners, he said I could detect all I want.
This lady that lives a few houses down comes over and is almost yelling at me "What are you doing" with a really bad additude and she keeps going on and on. I take off my headphones and say " Minding my own business"
So she starts to go into, she knows the owners and shes going to call them blah, blah, blah.....So I turned off my M6 and just walk away......

The funny part is, as Im walking away she starts yelling at me, What are you doing, What are you looking for, What are you looking for, must have went on like seven or eight times.
She was so irate that I wouldnt talk to her I thought she was going to call the police.

I had a Chinese family come up to my girlfriend and I. They looked at my detector as if it were a weapon. To top it off my girlfriend is Japanese. It was kind of funny seeing about 1,000 years of tension in my vicinity while I was digging up a pulltab.

While detecting this weekend a couple walking their dog come up to me while I'm on my knees digging in a hole. The woman asks me what I'm finding and while we are talking I look to my right where I set my detector down and the dog (a pug) has his leg up peeing on my detector . Luckily it was the coil end and not the control box end.

LOL! Some funny stuff here.... I'll have to use a few of these lines when people come up to me.

Anyhoo, I was at my neighborhood park a few days and a female came up to me with concern, asking, "What are you doing?" I explained a little and seh told me I had to leave. she told me "This is my park!". I was amazed at her response... Anyhoo, she continued on telling me "it was her park".

.....friggin 5 year olds. :roll:

just tell people you are looking for radioactive material someone buried here.they won't bother you anymore.

Back
Top Bottom