I found my white whale today (token)

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
I drove 2 hours this morning back up to Orrin, ND where just the other day I dug the 1921-D Merc.
I've been in search of an Orrin, N.D. Token for as long as I've been going to Orrin....probably 4 years.
I recently got permission to detect about half the town...just had to haul my Bobcat and Bobcat mower to cut down an overgrown block of town. Long story short, I found all of 3 later wheats and some clad. A lot of work for very little reward.
But anyway......I also got permission to detect 4 old home sites so I went in search of that Orrin token there. I had terrible luck!
I went back to town to try to dig at least a wheatie before I drove home.
I went back to a couple right-of-ways I've detected numerous times before hoping to squeeze out at least one coin.
I ended up coming across an octagonal token in horrible condition. To my amazement it was an Orrin Token! Kind of excited but not quite for as bad of shape it was in.
I jumped across the street to that right-of-way in front of the yard where I scored the 1921-D Merc last weekend. I dug a couple wheats and was about to call it a day when I came across a deep 12-46 on the CTX3030. I figured it was probably going to be a later wheat since they sound like that in that ground but I thought maybe I've got a silver.
It ended up being that beauty of a token from Orrin!! Mission accomplished!
Both tokens are unlisted....at least I think the smaller one is a 10c token but it's hard to tell.
I can now stop obsessing about getting an Orrin, N.D. token!

I dug the token about 50' away from the 1921-D Merc.
b2914efe83b050670cb24d99f00f298e.jpg
854f86439f903d5251e923b8f3319fb4.jpg
3c912a874b8012d0e37d03e44b477bd4.jpg
3792cb87c607c65ca15541ca8ed61a6a.jpg
35baca26d91fad9ba0da5fd426a48d43.jpg
7c5d00540c5f80fa628e3b1f23630403.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Nice job Tundra! What a beauty, congrats on a super rare NoDak token!
Thanks LtS! A rare bird indeed! I've been wanting just any Orrin token, even a maverick. I didn't expect to dig a beauty like this one! I must have swung over it half a dozen times I bet over the past few years.

Congrats on the tokens. Always a nice treat to dig one and even a nicer one when it one on your list. # 1 on my list is a V8 Ford Thirty Years of Excellence token. Not a Ford guy, just think they are really cool. Seems you go to great lengths to find treasure, very commendable. Good luck, Mark

Congrats on getting your white whale! Tokens are great finds, I hunt for them down here at haciendas. It's an amazing feat to do the research and pin down the area and actually find what you are looking for!

Great perseverance to harpoon that white whale, Tundra! Both are great finds, but obviously the $1 token is an absolute knock-out - a genuine beauty! I see that token catalog.com has an octagonal 50¢ variety listed, but no 10¢. The one in your photo sure looks like it says 10¢ to my eye, though…that’d be awesome to bag two new varieties in one hunt!!

Too bad the little one has that bite taken out of it - but since it’s already damaged, maybe an aggressive cleaning might help nail down the denomination? Beyond the usual baking soda for aluminum, I’ve had incredible success with Locktite Rust Desolver.

Congrats on the tokens. Always a nice treat to dig one and even a nicer one when it one on your list. # 1 on my list is a V8 Ford Thirty Years of Excellence token. Not a Ford guy, just think they are really cool. Seems you go to great lengths to find treasure, very commendable. Good luck, Mark
Thanks mark! I REALLY wanted a token from Orrin....which is probably evident when I hauled my Bobcat and Bobcat mower 4 hours round trip to mow 2' high grass and overgrown bushes. I think wanted was the wrong word...obsessed maybe works better [emoji1787]. Sad thing is I really didn't find much of anything for the work but on the plus side I got in good with the folks from the area. The lot owner was very happy that I helped him out as Trade for the permission. That big token made it all worth it though!

Congrats on getting your white whale! Tokens are great finds, I hunt for them down here at haciendas. It's an amazing feat to do the research and pin down the area and actually find what you are looking for!
Thanks zee! Tokens are always my main target when detecting. I look for old almost abandoned railroad towns to find them. Silver is fun to dig and I'll take an IHP any day but tokens really bring a smile to my face!

Great perseverance to harpoon that white whale, Tundra! Both are great finds, but obviously the $1 token is an absolute knock-out - a genuine beauty! I see that token catalog.com has an octagonal 50¢ variety listed, but no 10¢. The one in your photo sure looks like it says 10¢ to my eye, though…that’d be awesome to bag two new varieties in one hunt!!

Too bad the little one has that bite taken out of it - but since it’s already damaged, maybe an aggressive cleaning might help nail down the denomination? Beyond the usual baking soda for aluminum, I’ve had incredible success with Locktite Rust Desolver.
Thanks Airmet! I told my good buddy that morning that Orrin would not defeat me in my quest to find a token from there....I was right! I think that big $1.00 token is probably my new favorite token find. Too bad the smaller one is in such terrible condition.

Great find. The detecting gods just knew you were earning it so they teased you and then rewarded you for your dedication to metal detecting.

Happy for you.

Very nice! That sure beats the Chucky Cheese tokens I used to dig in playgrounds. :lol:

I love tokens and I really love this.

Reminds me of my hunt for an Indian Head. FIVE YEARS! I dug every penny signal with no luck.

A woman wanted to learn about metal detecting so I went to her house to talk to her. She asked me to demonstrate and we went to the curb strip in front of her house. First swing, BAM! Penny signal. Almost leaning against the sidewalk. So shallow I saw the outline and I picked it up and gave it to her, saying, “Here’s your first buried treasure!”

She looked at it and said, “Cool! 1887!”

I had finally found one and gave it away.

Great find. The detecting gods just knew you were earning it so they teased you and then rewarded you for your dedication to metal detecting.

Happy for you.
Thanks maxx! I told my good buddy that Orrin wasn't going to defeat me....I knew there had to be a token out there for me. Just took a little extra work then normal to acquire it! At the same time I made one of the main property owners real happy with all the mowing.....he is even trying to get me permission for most of another little town nearby. Maybe I boosted my karma points!

Very nice! That sure beats the Chucky Cheese tokens I used to dig in playgrounds. [emoji38]
Thanks Felix! I've dug a couple of those darn things....not so much Chucky Cheese but newer gaming tokens....those things are annoying!

I love tokens and I really love this.

Reminds me of my hunt for an Indian Head. FIVE YEARS! I dug every penny signal with no luck.

A woman wanted to learn about metal detecting so I went to her house to talk to her. She asked me to demonstrate and we went to the curb strip in front of her house. First swing, BAM! Penny signal. Almost leaning against the sidewalk. So shallow I saw the outline and I picked it up and gave it to her, saying, “Here’s your first buried treasure!”

She looked at it and said, “Cool! 1887!”

I had finally found one and gave it away.
Thanks Chip! There'll be more and better IHP's out there for you....just gotta not give them away [emoji1]! I've found tons of them....just gotta get on that older dirt.

Back
Top Bottom