Who likes photography

As I see it, one of the major advantages is the EVF or Electronic Viewfinder.
So what you see in the viewfinder is what you get. A lot of the features in
my opinion, are totally unnecessary. How many people need to take 20
frames a second. With files that can each be 40mb or more ?
I will probably get one eventually, but not yet. One of the main reasons for
not getting one yet, is that I take all of my photos in RAW mode. Most of the
photo processing programmes I use will need updating, at some expense.

This is from my garden Easter Weekend. More by luck than judgement as the bee landed just as I was taking a photo of the flower.

I think I mentioned before, that I take pictures for a local hockey club.
Due to the pandemic their winter season didn't happen, but they are
now able to hold some practice games within the club. Yesterday (17th April)
they held a mini tournament with six 15 minute games. The following are the
best of the 189 photos I took.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVi954N

Before and After

Local Zombie-Druggie-Homeless Dump Divers make a mess.
Then burns the place down when nothing is found.

Attachments

• trash1.jpg
    trash1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 538
  • trash2.jpg
    trash2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 209
Oh! Me, me, me...I DO!
Unfortunately I usually only have my cell phone with me whe I see a good one. I like the misty roads in the morning after I drive my son to school.

Attachments

• 20210421_093440.jpg
    20210421_093440.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 193
Nice bee photo Alan. I retired in 2012 after 39 years as a newspaper photographer.

First third was b&w film and making prints in the darkroom.
Second third was shooting color film and scanning frames into the computer.
Final third was all digital.
I've never shot anything in RAW and would love to have a motor that could fire 20 frames per second digitally.

That would a curse though if it were film, too many rolls to develop!

Some more from here and there...

Attachments

• 20200928_142949_copy_780x1040.jpg
    20200928_142949_copy_780x1040.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 20210330_130228_copy_780x1040.jpg
    20210330_130228_copy_780x1040.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210421_094711_copy_768x1024.jpg
    20210421_094711_copy_768x1024.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 20210421_094948_copy_768x1024.jpg
    20210421_094948_copy_768x1024.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 146
Great action shots, Alan ! I tuned in expecting to see ice hockey, but I guess you don’t play ice hockey on your side of the pond.

I think there is some ice hockey, but it's very much a minority sport.
Most sport here isn't connected to universities.

What are the advantages of a mirrorless system? I've been told that they are quieter, and I see that the camera is less bulky, but are there other, more important advantages that I'm not aware of?

For taking pictures of my coins or plants, quieter doesn't matter, but if I'm taking pictures of Japanese hornets, it might. I just hope that opportunity doesn't present itself anytime soon. :)

-- Tom

I don't quite know the advantages or disadvantages but one of the advantages I see is no mirror to error and lock up. I was a film and digital camera repair technician for 7 years. I was working when digital cameras first hit the scene. It was a fun job and had its perks. I just bought a newer broken Nikon D5100 DSLR off fleabay and by the description I could tell it probably just needed the mirror to be popped back in track. I got it and within two mins I had fixed it with a butter knife. I scored a $300+ camera for $100 to replace my outdated Nikon D40x.

What are the advantages of a mirrorless system? I've been told that they are quieter, and I see that the camera is less bulky, but are there other, more important advantages that I'm not aware of?

For taking pictures of my coins or plants, quieter doesn't matter, but if I'm taking pictures of Japanese hornets, it might. I just hope that opportunity doesn't present itself anytime soon. :)

-- Tom

I don't think it's just the fact that they are mirrorless, but that's what
most of the new cameras being released are and therefore have the latest
features.
They are quieter, which is important for wildlife, and when taking pictures
anywhere where a noisy shutter could be intrusive. I shall probably be
investing in one in the not too distant future.
Will it let me take better pictures ?, that has yet to be seen.
In one respect it's a lot like metal detecting. A new machine comes out
and you feel you need to get one as it will help you to make more good
finds. When in most cases it doesn't, but it feels good to have the latest
technology.

I tried.....

Last year I had a Bald Eagle stop in to feast on a woodchuck I'd shot and tossed in the road for the buzzards. All I had handy was my phone, which takes pretty poor pictures, so while I did manage to capture the event, the results were less than stellar.

This last weekend I had shot another woodchuck and tossed it in the road. HE CAME BACK! I was excited, because this time I was able to grab a much better camera. Much to my chagrin my view was obstructed by some brushy weeds along the road. I moved to a location where I had a clear path to him, but about that time a car came by and scared him off.
:cuss:

I did take a couple shots from the obstructed position, but they're not what I was hoping to get. My quest continues. Good thing I have at least one more woodchuck on the property to entice him with.

May 1st Visitor_1c.jpg

That's not a bad photo at all. The quality of the photo doesn't need to be 100%. What matters is capturing the moment.

Nice capture :thumbsup:

That's not a bad photo at all. The quality of the photo doesn't need to be 100%. What matters is capturing the moment.

Nice capture :thumbsup:
Thanks Alan. I understand that the moment is what's important.....to a point. That's why I took shot that I got. Realistically, it's not the sort of thing that I could set up for, and that to me is part of what makes it more of a "snapshot" than a photograph.

Got a couple more pics yesterday, but alas, I had to take them through a window that fuzzy'd them. :dash2: Seems like more often than not I have to take what I can get.

May 10th Redtail_2c.jpg
May 10th Redtail_3c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom