• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Funny Things that Happen While Detecting

weird people, who me???? never

Once the park or beach gets busy on a hot summer morning, I get my metal detecting Tilley hat out of my belly pack, put it on and no one bothers me. I guess it is the tin foil and two little antannas on it that scares them off. If they do come over, I turn to my right shoulder and tell my little buddy sitting there, incoming people, put my finger to my lips and say SHHHHHHHHSSSSSSS, quiet, don't say anything, we have company. Give my head a couple of shakes, say it again. Hmmmm, seems to work, they move off rather quickly. I never seem to have a problem.. oot :laughing:

Detecting in a local lake last summer, sholder deep when i here ,are you finding anything good? I turned to see a 10 or 12 yr.old girl trying to keep her head above water right behind me. I could'nt help but chuckle and tell her no and please go back to shallow water before you drown.She just smiled and kept bouncing to kep her head up and followed me for ten more min. until her sister told her they had to go.:D

I was hunting a few years back in an old girl friends front yard, near a high school and when it let out a hot rod mustang drove by and yelled at me, I didn't hear what they said but I saw them turn around so I took off my head phones....and I watched them come back, the passenger is half way out of the window and then throws a handful of change at me and yells " heres some beer money old man"...

funny thing is I found a nice ring about two minutes after they decided to give me about 3 bucks in change...easy battery money !!!!

I am waiting for some one to ask me, "whatcha lookin fer" ( Missouri people make me laugh ) I'll reply with. " my wedding ring. I was rolling around in the grass with a beautiful young lady and I lost it. Hope I can find it before the wife gets home"

I had a sweet old lady ask us if we were going fish. Fishing? I thought, then she went on to say she had never seen a gadget like ours. She thought we were using our detectors to shock worms and bring them to the top were we would then pick them out of the ground.

Had the same question from someone. They asked if I was looking for worms. :lol::laughing:

some dude asked me if I really find coins with those gadgets? I said no, this is a metal detector, you need a coin detector to find coins.

I have to agree with the next guy on the tread saying that is funny. Great sense of humor.

I don't get people saying stupid things often and only thing comes to mind is them saying are you looking for gold? Back when I had a cheap detector in 1973 I went with my wife's great uncle to a carnival ground , they were packing up and the people got iritated with all the people metal detecting. One jerk tosses down a couple quarters and makes some noise and waved his foot over them and says something like look what I found with just my foot. I walked on ignoring him. I guess some of those detecting were deep into it and maybe got in their way now and then.
M6 Mike
kids are usually my biggest problem they want to watch and get in too close or stand in front of me watching as I am walking toward them detecting and I have to explain to them they are in the way or work around them and then they just get back in front of me again. Then there are the ones that want to dig when you find something. I am glad that most of the time kids don't bother me other than to ask how I am doing and tell me their dad use to take them detecting or something like that.
I don't mind being interupted by others that have stories or talk about them getting a metal detector. I have gotten a lot of great stories to listen to and seen some nice finds they found. Seems too many can't find the time to go anymore or often enough.

Not anything too funny, but only story i have so far.

I found a target and started digging, digging more and more. After a few minutes i hear a strange sound wosh wosh wosh.. i look up left and there's a dog 'attacking' me at full speed. Oh dear... I can add that im afraid/have huge respect for dogs so my body just froze to ice. Luckily it was a nice dog that maybe though he found he digging pal. :D Then the owners to the dog came up and asked the ordinary 200 questions about what i was doing and if i found any treasures. :roll:

Can add that the thing i dug was a Fanta can and it was very deep.

I posted one story already but one of the stories I read reminded me of a hunt I was doing this past fall at a geathering for my girlfriends grandson's birthday party. As it happens in parks kids were following me and asking questions. Woman come up when I was telling the little girl when you go home ask your dad for a screwdriver and polk it in the ground all over and you might find some coins. The woman took her daughter and walked away. She goes over to the other grandma and said some old creepy guy is metal detecting over there. She said to her thats ok he is with us.
M6 Mike
They all gather around when I found a cheap ring though.

Assuming these Ugg Boots were okay to wear MDing... I looking down and said to myself "these aren't steel toe"? Then my hunting buddy pointed out the eyelets.
3917.103360_d.jpg

I was detecting in the water at a small town beach when a woman comes over to me and shows me a gold bracelet and says" Do you think this is real, my daughter just found it laying in the sand over there" :mad:

If kids follow me I find a zinc which I don't care to dig and tell them there is a coin right here and you can dig it up and keep it. I move on and let them work at finding it. It don't last long if they can't find the penny they stop following you. People stop me to talk all the time with interest of getting into detecting and I talk so much it drives them away. I am just so full of advice for them. I enjoy my talks with others that detect on my curb strip detecting and they seem so excited to see me and talk about their stories. I get a lot out of it. I get invited into yards to search and advice on where I might try , sometimes some history of the area. Never miss the chance to get free information of the area from a old man or lady. Talking 80 plus years old.
M6 Mike

the best and worst...

worst- Detecting a turn of the century "township grange hall" (whatever a grange hall is??) out in the middle of the country, farmland all around, nearest house 1/2 mile away...Hear someone hollering at me over my headphones..Old guy in his 70s (i was in my 30s, this was back in 1990) telling me to "get the #$#k off the property, what the @#$#k am i doing here, he's calling the cops, (closest cops were 25 miles away lol)..i tried to explain what i was doing, thought that the township owned the hall (i owned property in the township, figured that was good enough)...he wasnt listening to any of it...that old geezer was pizzzzed.....plain and simple...so i just left before he stroked out...
BEST....detecting a tot lot at a country school...old burly guy pulls in, asks if he can borrow me and my detector when im done , says he lives down the road and last turkey hunting season , he set down 4 - 3 inch magnum turkey loads worth a couple bucks apiece and couldnt find them. I followed him back to his place (nice older farm) followed the two track back into the field/woods, he gave me a 30 foot area where he thought he lost them, I found them within 10 minutes...he was so freakin happy,,, he grew up in the area and gave me directions to two old schools that dont exist anymore..still going to hit those when i get a chance;.

Had someone in a truck circle the city park I was in a few times, watching me. Finally he hollers out angrily, "You won't find anything!" Must be a "fellow" detectorist. I just smiled and jingled the big handful of coins in my pocket that I'd found so far...

I had a not so funny experience that turned into a pretty entretaining one. While detecting in a local park in TX, I had two teenagers trying to mug me. They asked for my wallet and they both had knives. I told them I would comply and I slowly reached around my waist and pulled my Detonics .45 Combat Master. I told them I didn't have no money but I could pay them in lead. They didn't like that idea too much, their eyes were as big as my search coil. I told them to turn around and start running and that is when the whole experience turned pretty funny. There is no better sight than watching these two youngsters trying to run while trying to keep their pants on. Yes, you guessed it, these two were wearing their pants way low under their butt cheeks and they were having some difficulties trying to run fast and keeping them things on. After about 2 minutes of hard laughing, I removed myself from that situation and went home just in case they decided to come back with some other ideas. I still chuckle at the sight!

The next time any of you have someone that throws coins ahead of you, give them the show they are looking for. Find the coin and do the chicken dance and look right at them and say. WOW!!!! I can't believe it, this is the rarest (Penny, nickel etc. Whatever they are throwing) I've ever found, it's gotta be worth at LEAST $2,500 and give em a show yourself. :lol: See how many of them start buying detectors.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Most of the things i often hear is "boy i'd like to try that out sometime" Only other funny thing that happened to me was chasing my hat across a field during a windy day.

I was hunting a school once and was being followed by a bunch of young boys. Every time I dug a plug, they would try to pull it back up; and they succeed some of the time. Well, I asked them why they were pulling up the plugs?
No answer
I told em to scram and they ran home. I spent the rest of the hunt filling in plugs.

Back
Top Bottom