Coronavirrus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been locked in my apartment complex for 7 weeks or so now. It'll never happen to you... until it does.
Just by reading some of the responses on here an actual virus like this would absolutely wreak havo in the west. 70% infection rate is not out of the question.
There are cases being reported in tropical areas. Warm weather will kill it was an excuse to pump the market.

My work just cancelled all national training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the incubation period is like 7-12 days or something, so some of us might have it and not even know it yet. I worry about my 2 little ones, for sure. Their little immune systems just aren't as strong as ours, same goes for the elderly. We will get through it, that I'm confident of, its just a matter of when...

I think the incubation period is like 7-12 days or something, so some of us might have it and not even know it yet. I worry about my 2 little ones, for sure. Their little immune systems just aren't as strong as ours, same goes for the elderly. We will get through it, that I'm confident of, its just a matter of when...

I’m with you on this too brother. I worry about my little granddaughter, and my mom and dad.

Granted, I don't want to catch it, nor do I wish it on anyone and I feel for those who have been lost or have lost someone due to it, but it is my understanding, that in truth, it is on par, stat-wise, of other viruses and/or contagions spreading around the globe.

Granted it is new, but it seems to me, that it is just getting more hype and news coverage than other viruses or diseases that have similar stats in regard to recovery and mortality rates.

That being said, all we can do is take reasonable precautions, hope for the best and deal with the rest.

I do what I can to avoid all the hype that is prevalent in the news these days due to the fact that they base a lot of the coverage on fear and death for traffic and views.

Well said.

As far as the news media, it's low hanging fruit. Same with constant election coverage. The local news LOVES big national stories because the content writes itself. There's so little money for real local reporting that they're all over anything that can be (re)written in the newsroom and paired with an "on location" shot that makes it look like reporting. My local news sent a reporter to a local youth basketball tournament to ask if people were worried about the Corona virus. (At the time there weren't any confirmed cases in the state.) Nobody showed an ounce of concern. The real story is that the vast majority of people aren't freaking out. But, the new station got their "local perspective" story while failing to create any better insights into local corruption, failing schools, government overspending, widespread homelessness despite a booming economy and low unemployment, etc...

Nope! I always have 100 rolls of toilet paper on hand and an oil tanker full of disinfectant. That’s just how I roll, with two ply that is!

Good hand washing, stay home if you're sick, and do what you can to help the elderly and immune compromised people stay home as much as possible. That's all that needs to be said. Over and over. The focus needs to be on keeping it out of hospitals, nursing homes, and helping elderly neighbors and loved ones at home reduce their social contact.

I wish that one could trust the media to tell the truth One source says it will die off come summer and another source says it will not. Look at how many different disasters we have been warned about by the media over the past 30 to 40 years. And so far none of them have been anywhere near to actuality. I did alter my routine just a teeny bit the other day. Went to the grocery store and actually used one of the things for cleaning the handle on the grocery cart. First time for everything.

You're right about previous disaster predictions.

Not trying to political, but when I was growing up, we were about to die in the new ice age.

That didn't happen, now global warming and climate change is all the rage.

Nope! I always have 100 rolls of toilet paper on hand and an oil tanker full of disinfectant. That’s just how I roll, with two ply that is!

I don't need THAT much toilet paper. When I'm done with one side , I flip it over and use the other.

I am treating this like any other winter flu/virus: Not touching mucus membranes with infected hands, staying away from crowds, washing hands a LOT, working to keep my immune system strong, and just being aware of my surroundings. It always works for me. :yes: I have not had a cold in over 15 years.

Last edited:
Uhh... the coronavirus is serious stuff IF you are immune compromised, have COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulomonary Disease), have other significant health issues, or are in an older age bracket 70+ years. The primary attack vector of this virus is pulmonary, that is lung issues, and if you have a low METs Metabolic Equivalent, the virus can reduce your capacity to breathe and take away whatever excess O2 capability you have... and... you die.

Good news... if you are healthy and active you should be fine. And the virus does not seem to affect children and young people at all. But, suppose your children catch this in the babysitting incubation chamber known as our public schools, and bring the virus home to Grandma or Grandpa, who may not be in good health, may be a smoker, or may be on oxygen just to survive. There is a good chance that this virus will kill them. Look at the Kirkland WA nursing home where 10-20% of the patients have DIED, that is the category of people who should most be careful. The fire department and EMT folks that brought some of these folks to the hospital are now quarantined so they don't spread the virus.

Yes, the biggest impact will be on the economy as companies shutter the doors, require work from home, or tell employees to just not show up. There is a good chance as this virus expands and attacks the less healthy and older, that our medical system will be completely overwhelmed in trying to care for critical condition folks.

Probably the best news for detecting... no busybodies outdoors to harass curb strip hunters, park detectorists, and private property hunters! And being outdoors is one of the safest places to be during this outbreak. We do have the perfect hobby!

I am treating this like any other winter flu/virus: Not touching mucus membranes with infected hands, staying away from crowds, washing hands a LOT, working to keep my immune system strong, and just being aware of my surroundings. It always works for me. :yes:
I thought this was a man made bio-weapon with an HIV component. Is it just like any other flu or virus? You have given good advice.

Two people in

Maryland confirmed 2
HTML:
, on the news now, my stadagy , Boating, fishing,detecting, motorcycling , avoiding public gathering , eat home , the states its heavy in, and countries until they get a cure , I'll do my own thing , probably best if I don't mingle with the public , not much of a change here for me, play your cards wright , think smart , I don't want that , oh no cruises :lol: , no clubs, no health clubs, no movies, public gathering , life goes on , here , the media sorta blows everything up , but better safe than dead , happy hunting. Ps the funny thing is , people are getting this , and havn't traveled , I got boat motor covers from amazon couple days ago, they have made in China on the covers lol, the stores are out of A-------- & Sanitizer , not good, I also see places that sell products using China parts , only to find everything is out of stock :shock: , I'm wondering if Garmin uses China parts in thier GPS MAPS it's holding my boat delivery up , on back order :no: I don't see a end to this, unless they get a vaccine, cure, or a antibiotic that kills the virus .

Last edited:
I wish that one could trust the media to tell the truth One source says it will die off come summer and another source says it will not. Look at how many different disasters we have been warned about by the media over the past 30 to 40 years. And so far none of them have been anywhere near to actuality. I did alter my routine just a teeny bit the other day. Went to the grocery store and actually used one of the things for cleaning the handle on the grocery cart. First time for everything.

Yea man the fear mongering from the main stream media is ridiculous!

Media is definitely blowing this up!! But still going to avoid big public gatherings don't like crowds anyways. Stop at gas station for coffee and noticed a chinese couple going in the station coughing quite a bit so i skipped the coffee. Dam people that are sick should be at home not out spreading there sichness to everyone else.

Good hand washing, stay home if you're sick, and do what you can to help the elderly and immune compromised people stay home as much as possible. That's all that needs to be said. Over and over. The focus needs to be on keeping it out of hospitals, nursing homes, and helping elderly neighbors and loved ones at home reduce their social contact.

I have really really really really been trying to stay out of this conversation as these types of conversations and I tend to end up similar to the some of the more heated "Nox vs the world" urination contests. But as a health care professional, I place my full support behind the above statement by ToySoldier.

While the corona virus is a novel (meaning NEW) mutation of an otherwise common family of viruses and will likely affect many, universal precautions and just plain ole common sense will go a LONG way in maintaining an individual's overall health; both directly and indirectly. When I say universal precautions, I mean things like TS mentioned above, washing your hands with soap and water, staying home if not feeling well, etc... These do more to keep one generally healthier and to decrease the number of illness episodes; and thus keeping your immune system strong, healthy, and ready to kick some booty. In this context you will MOST LIKELY will be fine; worse case scenario you may experience a mild illness.

However, those who are immunocompromised (resulting from medications [immunomodulator drugs, chemotherapy], medical conditions [cancer, HIV, AIDS], age [very old and very young]) or have a predilection toward respiratory illnesses (such as smokers, COPDers, etc.) should take REASONABLE, increased precautions to minimize exposure.

Finally—fair warning here, I will NOT engage in any debate regarding the following statement—EVERYONE (except those for whom a medical contraindication exists) should receive yearly influenza vaccinations and pneumonia vaccinations (if eligible) as these vaccinations can reduce/prevent a "gateway" respiratory illness that can open the door for something like the corona virus.

In the end, try not to buy in to the partisan news scare tactics (no matter which side of the fence you are on). Those responsible for providing us with news get paid to figure out ways to fill 24-hour per day news broadcasts and in the absence of new, pertinent news tend to resort to just plain making s&!t up to fill space or incite panic.

There. Rant over, I will now excuse myself from this conversation. :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom