Just about set for lake beach hunting...

slag

Elite Member
Got my waterproof detector (AT PRO), have my waders, bought my red arctic fur gloves yesterday and my scoop will be here next week. I'm starting small, in a large pond that used to be a swimming hole back in the 60s/70s to get a feel for how this works and then will hit up a local lake.

I'm guessing that 2-4 ft deep is as deep as I'd want to go. Do all of you guys who detect in water this deep use a life vest?

Hey do you guy still detect in summer when it's water moccasin time? I lived in SE KS until I was 9 and I just thought of the snake problem down there. We have no snakes here except a grass snake every now and then. :D I HATE SNAKES!!!
Forgot to answer your ? haha I don't water hunt yet but probably wouldn't wear one for ponds, lakes, streams, the surf..........mmmmm probably at 4' yes I would wear one if it has the chance or rip tides and stuff.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little worried about waders filling up and its quite windy at the lake where I want to go, but I'll just not go so deep and it will be ok. I imagine I'll want to add a rope to the detector and scoop so I can let go of them if necessary. I'm still reading up on everything and checking out what other people are doing.

Water snakes are an issue for sure, but they aren't near the swimming beach where I go and I haven't seen any at this pond, but sure, that doesn't mean they aren't there. :)

WOW if no one has hit your hunting location before or equipped well you are going to rake up. What scoop did you order?

First off great luck to you I hope you have a virgin spot!

OK, a belt around your middle cinched good will stop most water from pouring into your waders in case of a fall.
Use your scoop to constantly prod the bottom ahead of you in unfamiliar water. Use it like a feeler. An old silt filled hole will surprise the heck out of you because you can't see them.

Practice your hand eye scoop technique in the yard before you try to scoop in stirred up water where you can't see anything.

Just be careful if you don't want to wear a PFD. If you get to the edge of a dropoff it will want to take you deeper. I would wear a PFD just for safety. I always wear my BC while diving even in 3' of water. NO harm in playing it safe. Water kills. Most know one of my best friends drowned a few years back detecting and another aquantance more recently.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/national_world&id=6247937

Last edited:
WOW if no one has hit your hunting location before or equipped well you are going to rake up. What scoop did you order?

I picked up one of the RTG travel scoops but will probably end up getting a stealth if this is as fun as it looks.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little worried about waders filling up

I don't wear waders when water hunting, but you might need to give the PFD some more thought, water is heavy and I can imagine it being very difficult to get back up in a muddy bottom with the weight of flooded waders every time you try to stand.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little worried about waders filling up and its quite windy at the lake where I want to go, but I'll just not go so deep and it will be ok. I imagine I'll want to add a rope to the detector and scoop so I can let go of them if necessary. I'm still reading up on everything and checking out what other people are doing.

Water snakes are an issue for sure, but they aren't near the swimming beach where I go and I haven't seen any at this pond, but sure, that doesn't mean they aren't there. :)

First of all I am a little confused. You sound like you have abosolutely No experience in water hunting and now you want to weigh yourself down with a rope tied to you and your scoop and water detector???

NO detector OR scoop is worth your life. The LAST thing you need is to get in trouble and fight with a detector and scoop tied to you. LET THAT TRASH GO. You can get it back later if you live.

NOBODY here will tell you if you need a PFD OR NOT. We have absolutely NO idea of your skill level in the water. DO NOT tie a rope to your stupid scoop.

I have been diving since 1979 and certified in 1980. I was on the sheriff search and rescue team when I was a state police officer. I never had to recover a body thank goodness but I was ready. I have also been water hunting for 14 years now.

My friend wasn't so lucky in 4' of water. They also never found his stealth scoop.

ALL here want to give you sound and pratical advice. NOBODY here wants to see a casualty of someone thinking they will get rich and jump in to find tons of gold and silver and then drown.

Just be careful, be aware of your surroundings and KNOW to DITCH your equipment if you get into trouble. IF you get on a drop-off in an inland lake IT WILL try to pull you deeper.

ALL the folks that said they do not wear a PFD say they are good swimmers. HOWEVER, EVERY sheriff officer on marine patrol and every coast guard person HAS to wear a PFD for their safety AND the safety of the people they need to help.

Its still ABSOLUTELY YOUR choice. Just know what you are getting into and don't rely on what others do.

If I sound harsh I am sorry. Water hunting is profitable BUT dangerous.

Have fun and Good luck out there.

Last edited:
Got my waterproof detector (AT PRO), have my waders, bought my red arctic fur gloves yesterday and my scoop will be here next week. I'm starting small, in a large pond that used to be a swimming hole back in the 60s/70s to get a feel for how this works and then will hit up a local lake.

I'm guessing that 2-4 ft deep is as deep as I'd want to go. Do all of you guys who detect in water this deep use a life vest?
If you have a PFD handy then wear it. I doubt many wear them on a lake or pond. If you can't tread water then wear one. Don't tie anything to you. That is just looking for trouble. Stay shallow and work deeper as you feel comfortable. I doubt any snakes will be around this time of the year. Maybe the summer but not now. Be aware that your feet can sink in mud. If you start sinking then back out.

First of all I am a little confused. You sound like you have abosolutely No experience in water hunting and now you want to weigh yourself down with a rope tied to you and your scoop and water detector???

NO detector OR scoop is worth your life. The LAST thing you need is to get in trouble and fight with a detector and scoop tied to you. LET THAT TRASH GO. You can get it back later if you live.

NOBODY here will tell you if you need a PFD OR NOT. We have absolutely NO idea of your skill level in the water. DO NOT tie a rope to your stupid scoop.

I have been diving since 1979 and certified in 1980. I was on the sheriff search and rescue team when I was a state police officer. I never had to recover a body thank goodness but I was ready. I have also been water hunting for 14 years now.

My friend wasn't so lucky in 4' of water. They also never found his stealth scoop.

ALL here want to give you sound and pratical advice. NOBODY here wants to see a casualty of someone thinking they will get rich and jump in to find tons of gold and silver and then drown.

Just be careful, be aware of your surroundings and KNOW to DITCH your equipment if you get into trouble. IF you get on a drop-off in an inland lake IT WILL try to pull you deeper.

ALL the folks that said they do not wear a PFD say they are good swimmers. HOWEVER, EVERY sheriff officer on marine patrol and every coast guard person HAS to wear a PFD for their safety AND the safety of the people they need to help.

Its still ABSOLUTELY YOUR choice. Just know what you are getting into and don't rely on what others do.

If I sound harsh I am sorry. Water hunting is profitable BUT dangerous.

Have fun and Good luck out there.

:(

If you have a PFD handy then wear it. I doubt many wear them on a lake or pond. If you can't tread water then wear one. Don't tie anything to you. That is just looking for trouble. Stay shallow and work deeper as you feel comfortable. I doubt any snakes will be around this time of the year. Maybe the summer but not now. Be aware that your feet can sink in mud. If you start sinking then back out.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for and had pretty much figured out. I appreciate your friendly and helpful reply. I boat all spring and summer long and am a proficient swimmer, but always value safety over fun. I always wear my pfd when boating and enjoying water sports also so it makes sense to wear one with this as well.

You say a pond... ponds tend to have a silt bottom... the water depth might be only 4 feet but the depth of the silt could be greater... if I were you I would look into a PFD... I picked one up this year because I also use waders and if they fill up the party could be over... I had a friend who nearly drowned when he bumped into a rock and fell over and his waders filled with water... if it wasn't for two friends being with him.. he would not be as it took both of them to drag him ashore... I also carry a sharp knife in case I have to cut my waders off.

Besides a PDF another cheap and effective safety tool for waders is a wading belt. A wading belt is simply a strap of nylon that clips around your waste and cinches down. If you do get water over the top of your waders it prevents them from immediately filling with water. I fish for Steelhead on the PNW rivers here in the winter. I won't set a foot in the water if I'm not wearing my wading belt. Cheap insurance.
Additionally, if you think a PDF is too bulky, you might look into a self inflating PDF. Kind of spendy, but really cuts down on the bulk factor.
FWIW. Good luck and happy hunting!

41oONfyAWAL._AA160_.jpg
or
51ShNtyprPL._AA160_.jpg

I use a Manuel inflate PFD all the time and my hunting partner, when he was well was there to save my butt, always good to have someone near by specially in new Aqua/terra. Mine is a fishing vest also so it doubles as my pouch also, the good is It has a blow tube so I can adjust the pressure as needed, PFD's are around 100.oo, a small price to pay for when your going down.

I've hunted lakes for many years and haven't used a safety vest but, the more I think about it, it's something I really should start doing. I'm a good swimmer but I am getting older and I often hunt alone. I've never passed out or had any kind of debilitating affliction but the first time could be my last if I'm in neck deep water.
As far as tethers are concerned, I haven't used them on scoops or detectors and I've dropped both several times. The scoop you just lift with your foot and the detector is usually still attached to your head via the headphones. I have used a rope on my dive belt to keep from losing my floating basket (when I use it) and never had a problem but I do have a quick release if needed. Now I do have an inflatable vest for working in the rough surf at the beach where there are rip tides and rogue waves.
Yes, 2-4 feet of water is good but some amazing finds are also made at the water's edge where people sit in their folding chairs. HH!

Back
Top Bottom