Getting permissions for farm fields.

CallMeGrey

Forum Supporter
Been waiting for the local fields to be harvested and now that they are, I've been asking for permissions. Went to one today where there used to be an old town in the 1840's and 50's which is now a big field. The farmer said it had been detected before and people found "a lot of old nails" because there were "a bunch of houses there". Then... the bad news. The field had already just been planted - so no permission. :(

Not being a farmer, I'm wondering what the heck they grow during the winter here in Wisconsin? Any advice on the best time to hit fields like this?

It would probably be winter wheat? And the small amount of digging that you would be doing shouldn’t make any difference to his harvest next year. But it’s his fields!
Don’t be discouraged other farmers will let you on the fields this time of the year. If you keep and eye on this field next spring when the wheat turns golden brown ask him again there should be a small window of opportunity when he takes the wheat down and than plants his corn. Good luck!

Not being a farmer, I'm wondering what the heck they grow during the winter here in Wisconsin? Any advice on the best time to hit fields like this?

Winter wheat or rye is planted as a cover crop which helps to prevent erosion (wind & rain) and can be plowed under in the spring, as a “green manure”.

I help out on my in-laws' farm. I agree, you should try asking again in the spring. We don't plant winter rye, but this time of year dead corn stalks, and vines make swinging the coil difficult.

In the spring, after the first plowing, you'll find it easier swinging the coil, though you may need to watch your footing.

Expect lot of junk from tractor/machine parts. My situation is further complicated by my brother-in-law's habit, in his drinking days, of carrying a cooler of beer as he used the tractor. He just crumpled up the empties and tossed them. My detector tells me they're silver dollars...

I have found a few clads and two Mercury dimes though!

Expect lot of junk from tractor/machine parts. My situation is further complicated by my brother-in-law's habit, in his drinking days, of carrying a cooler of beer as he used the tractor. He just crumpled up the empties and tossed them. My detector tells me they're silver dollars...

I have found a few clads and two Mercury dimes though!

The farm that I hunt a lot has the same thing. Add to that big screw caps. I swear they just took every cap off and tossed it. So frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom