Pulling into driveways

CaliBoy

Hi everyone! I was driving today in a rural area and saw what looked like an old Greek Revival house. It was on a main road near farmland and there was nowhere to park but in the driveway. I wanted to ask permission, but thought it would be presumptuous to park there. Has anyone else parked in a driveway to ask permission? Is it okay? What would you guys have done in this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Something to add-
If your vehicle has that occasional slow leak or drip, then don't use their drive if it's paved. Some people are very finicky about that stuff. Little things can go far

If you do not have the outgoing personality type to park in the driveway and go to the door and knock, try a different approach.
Write down or remember the address.
Research the county tax records to find the name of the person who lives there.
Now you have a name and an address.
Write them a nice letter about your historical interest in detecting the property. Include your contact information and your physical address to prove your credibility. Mail the letter to them. If you do not receive a response granting permission, you have only wasted a little time and a stamp.

Throw it in 4x4 and use the lawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fellow member of our church most likely lives in the oldest house in the oldest part of the nearest town. I could easily obtain his permission to detect that yard. It looks great from the street, but his yard in actuality is full of huge piles of dog poop because he has many huge dogs. That yard is impossible to detect. You never know what kind of conditions are in a yard until you are on site.

Rubber boots and rubber gloves.:laughing:
Go detect!

Hazmat was part of my job.
That yard is so stinky and nasty there is no way I would detect it.
The sad thing is probably over 50,000 of Sherman's troops were on the march back and forth on the road right beside that house. They probably dropped some stuff.

Hazmat was part of my job.
That yard is so stinky and nasty there is no way I would detect it.
The sad thing is probably over 50,000 of Sherman's troops were on the march back and forth on the road right beside that house. They probably dropped some stuff.

the stank wouldn't deter me! you should smell some of the swampy stuff i dig in, or when you find a dead deer floating in a flooded cellar hole or old well :shock:....I suck it up and keep on swinging for that good stuff!

the stank wouldn't deter me! you should smell some of the swampy stuff i dig in, or when you find a dead deer floating in a flooded cellar hole or old well :shock:....I suck it up and keep on swinging for that good stuff!

That place looked so old and good from the street that you would never think anything in it could deter me from detecting it. But it did. I was part of a volunteer group that refurbished a handicap ramp for that house. The ground around that ramp was a gooey dog mess by the time we were finished. The volunteers had dog mess all over them before we were finished. For three years I did morgue x-rays. It was not clean work. It takes a lot to make me queasy.

Back
Top Bottom