EXTREMELY RARE PRINCE OF WALES 23rd BRITISH REGIMENTAL BADGE REVOLUTIONARY WAR

Ok, here is a pic of the back of the item
picture.php

So, I will admit to being something of a lurker on this forum, but that's only because my fascination happens to lie with local history, and as such I am an active member on the Maine forum. However, I do like coming on and seeing the various historical finds folks have posted. When I saw this post this morning, I just about lost it...

I dug this a couple months ago, and I, as well, let it sit on my shelf with all my buttons, not knowing what it was or even how to research it. I'm absolutely thrilled to find it may have a direct tie with the Revolution! It's at least a jumping-off place for research... Notice that mine has only one post on the back...

Attachments

• badgepin1.jpg
    badgepin1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,564
  • badgepin2.jpg
    badgepin2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,204
So, I will admit to being something of a lurker on this forum, but that's only because my fascination happens to lie with local history, and as such I am an active member on the Maine forum. However, I do like coming on and seeing the various historical finds folks have posted. When I saw this post this morning, I just about lost it...

I dug this a couple months ago, and I, as well, let it sit on my shelf with all my buttons, not knowing what it was or even how to research it. I'm absolutely thrilled to find it may have a direct tie with the Revolution! It's at least a jumping-off place for research... Notice that mine has only one post on the back...

They're coming out of the woodwork! Three cheers for crowd-sourced information!

yeah those get mis-labeled often , i've dug one a few years ago (with same design) and seen about four or five others with the same design dug in the last few years. its a horse mount ( colonial rosette , bit boss , saddle decoration , ect. , ect.) almost all that i've seen found were not in any Rev. War activity area and i do not believe they were a military item either.

CH

Very cool George79 and thanks for sharing yours also. Ive been searching all day long and trying to find out more info on it. I seen that some stuff didnt necessarily have the regiment numbers on them and i believe it wasnt till after the 1750's that they started using the regiment #. Whats odd is i had found this piece within 15 feet of where i found my shield and this is a 1700's sword hanger. Odd coincidence maybe but this could have been a stop off area for the soilders.Mine was found in an area where Revolution war activity was present. As Benedict Arnold Burned down New London Ct. And where i found mine was less than 20 miles from this area. This sword holder is just giving me a little more hope. Not saying its a definate thing but it gives me Hope.

Attachments

• 120212225614.jpg
    120212225614.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 120212225548.jpg
    120212225548.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,078
  • 120212225518.jpg
    120212225518.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,066
sorry but that item you have is not a sword hanger but often gets mis labeled as one also , its called a "swivel loop" or "gagloop" and goes to a horse harness . they still make close variants of these heres a couple of pictures of them .

CH

Attachments

• horse harness page.jpg
    horse harness page.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,314
  • horse gag loops.jpg
    horse gag loops.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,106
sorry but that item you have is not a sword hanger but often gets mis labeled as one also , its called a "swivel loop" or "gagloop" and goes to a horse harness . they still make close variants of these heres a couple of pictures of them .

CH

Nice ID copperhead - it's important we get these things right... Of course I speculate like wild on all of my whatzits... how often I'm correct, who knows...

WOW what a find congrats did you find it in your state???
dont sell it keep it

Hi Steve .. I see that you posted this several years ago and i was wondering if you have done anything with this piece? I too have found this identical piece and have found no information on it other than your post. we have found many many relics from the rev war (we live close to the monmouth battlefield)
I just snapped some pics with my phone so you can see i am talking about the same piece, will of course take better pics once i clean it up a bit
I am attaching image here

Attachments

• POW FB.jpg
    POW FB.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,026
Hi all after doing some research tonight i came across a site Historical Shop.com and came across this badge. After seeing it i hurried into my room and recovered this from my shelf of finds, something that i had found this summer at one i my favorite places to hunt. In the article it reads this...
Revolutionary War 23rd British Regiment " The Prince Of Wales Regiment" incised design of the Three Plumes characteristic with this famous Regiment. Brass 1 1/4 shield design. Extremely Rare and noted in Don Troianis book on Revolutionary War Buttons describing the badge of this Regiment as Being the devise of the Prince Of Wales. The three Plumes coming out of a Princes Coronet. Rarer Than any Button from This Regiment. The one listed on this web site sold it for 750.00$. I am so pumped up about finding this Badge and also about going through some of my other finds from this area as they also may be from the Revolutionary War era. Thanks All for looking and HH. steve
Nice Find! I found something similar always thought it could be colonial military,has a different type of fastener on back,looks a little older type,not sure. Thanks for getting it closer to an ID. AWESOME Finds! Awesome Sword Hanger!! HH 401K

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 943
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 903

CH
dAN Ya know that gag loops didn't exist before 1879. Those gag loop IDs all hinge on a 20th c. unverified news paper clipping.The fact is the United States Patent Office ( The oldest documented record,invented,patent;not what someone said on some forum ). and the British Museum System which has a Coroner of museums that IDs all old finds found metal detecting, so when they say they are sword hangers I believe them. Not the unverified 20th c. gag loop sales clipping. Gag runners are a thing of the 20th century. Gag runners are more heavy duty like the ones in your sales clipping and are dug. 16-early1800s Sword Hangers are not as heavy duty as those gag loops in your sales clipping. We should Honor are fallen soldiers not trash their history.

Attachments

• sword hanger.jpg
    sword hanger.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 973
  • loop.jpg
    loop.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 851
Ya know that gag loops didn't exist before 1879.

so things weren't invented before they kept patent numbers on them ?? Wrong Scott , things were invented long before they had patent dates including gag swivels and loops , besides your patent date you mentioned was only an "improvement" to the mentioned Gag swivel. Strike one :roll:

Those gag loop IDs all hinge on a 20th c. unverified news paper clipping.The fact is the United States Patent Office ( The oldest documented record,invented,patent;not what someone said on some forum ). and the British Museum System which has a Coroner of museums that IDs all old finds found metal detecting, so when they say they are sword hangers I believe them.

Believe what exactly Scott ?? the British museum don't even acknowledge the term or words "sword hanger" when you do a search on their website. 16th, 17th century swords were fastened onto a belt with a sword belt mount and not a "sword hanger" . that term was used later in the late 18th and 19th century here in the states. I suggest you do a search on their website yourself. strike two :roll:

I would dare you to write to the museum with your pictures of the item in question and ask them if your piece is a "sword hanger" or harness fitting (aka. gag swivel) and see what they say. then to honestly ( if your a man of integrity) post it here for all to see.

We should Honor are fallen soldiers not trash their history.

Sir , I believe it is you who is confused .... I do no or have ever done any "trashing" of our proud fallen warriors and will always hold them with the highest regard , please give some evidence of this . strike three and your out :wow:

strike three and your out :wow:
dAN There ya go again Big words with no proof. what do you think you are this time the umpire LOL I don't care what they called them they even called them fasteners but they didn't dishonor their soldiers and call them gag loops. by the way the official name is gag runner no matter what you and your sales clipping calls them

Back
Top Bottom