EXTREMELY RARE PRINCE OF WALES 23rd BRITISH REGIMENTAL BADGE REVOLUTIONARY WAR

S.Klick

Elite Member
Hi all after doing some research tonight i came across a site Historical Shop.com and came across this badge. After seeing it i hurried into my room and recovered this from my shelf of finds, something that i had found this summer at one i my favorite places to hunt. In the article it reads this...
Revolutionary War 23rd British Regiment " The Prince Of Wales Regiment" incised design of the Three Plumes characteristic with this famous Regiment. Brass 1 1/4 shield design. Extremely Rare and noted in Don Troianis book on Revolutionary War Buttons describing the badge of this Regiment as Being the devise of the Prince Of Wales. The three Plumes coming out of a Princes Coronet. Rarer Than any Button from This Regiment. The one listed on this web site sold it for 750.00$. I am so pumped up about finding this Badge and also about going through some of my other finds from this area as they also may be from the Revolutionary War era. Thanks All for looking and HH. steve

Attachments

• 120112013713.jpg
    120112013713.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 8,372
  • 120112013813.jpg
    120112013813.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 6,090
  • 120112013742.jpg
    120112013742.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 5,931
Wow!! I'd be beyond thrilled!! Great score man! I'm itching to find a verifiable Rev War relic, but I don't think I have yet.... Even though the first shots of the war were fired 5 miles from where I live.

Thanks Jressman im sure you will come across a special piece from your area. Keep at it and it will come when you least exspect it.

Cool find, but unfortunately I am quite sure that the experts will not draw the same conclusion as that site because many regiments used that same design, and without it being marked 23 (or XXIII) it's a bit of a stretch to suggest a Royal Welch Fusiliers connection. I say that having owned some of the 23rd buttons that are in the book, and know the person who is probably the best collector out there for early 23rd items. If you can prove me wrong, he would be a very good buyer for it, but I'm certain that what I'm saying is true. Your find is actually familiar to me, think it's the third I've seen over the years, and maybe 4 now including the one on the website. I am curious what it was used for because the back does not look like a badge, but more like what you'd see on a musket escutcheon, but they usually only have one hole in the center. These small shields are usually belt tip ends, and even though the back is different than I've seen, I think it's still a good possibility. I give saddle a good shot too.

If I was you I'd follow up on it, confirm or rule out the 23rd connection from a reliable source, and then based on that info. consider contacting the Historical shop and offering it to them for a steal of $400. I say that because as I said I have a strong feeling of how your research will play out. I still like it though, and it would be in my display case had I found it.

Hi Steve,
Awesome find !
Can you give us some details .For instance : how deep it was
and was it a plowed field or a pasture find?
Was it a hat , a coat ,or a horse harness insignia ?
HH
Rammjäger

Cool find, but unfortunately I am quite sure that the experts will not draw the same conclusion as that site because many regiments used that same design, and without it being marked 23 (or XXIII) it's a bit of a stretch to suggest a Royal Welch Fusiliers connection. I say that having owned some of the 23rd buttons that are in the book, and know the person who is probably the best collector out there for early 23rd items. If you can prove me wrong, he would be a very good buyer for it, but I'm certain that what I'm saying is true. Your find is actually familiar to me, think it's the third I've seen over the years, and maybe 4 now including the one on the website. I am curious what it was used for because the back does not look like a badge, but more like what you'd see on a musket escutcheon, but they usually only have one hole in the center. These small shields are usually belt tip ends, and even though the back is different than I've seen, I think it's still a good possibility. I give saddle a good shot too.

If I was you I'd follow up on it, confirm or rule out the 23rd connection from a reliable source, and then based on that info. consider contacting the Historical shop and offering it to them for a steal of $400. I say that because as I said I have a strong feeling of how your research will play out. I still like it though, and it would be in my display case had I found it.

Thanks IP for the info on it. It is to bad the website that i seen it on didnt have a pic of the reverse of it. I was excited to even see it posted somewhere. I know that there could be speculation on it by the pros and many would have there own oppinion on what it actually went to. When i first found it i thought is was for a saddle myself just by the way the two posts were on the back. But any ones i seen that were cival war had the posts side by side and not up and down like mine. I truley appreciate your oppinion on this item IP and maybe you could pass the pics to your buddy that collects that stuff and see what he might say. I am up for any and all suggestions on it cause it seems i could be at a standstill with it. If i didnt see it on that website it would have been sitting in the heap of buttons and bridal rosettes and possibly i would have just thought it was to a saddle and it had a cool design. Thanks again IP i always like to hear your input on pieces like this. steve

Hi Steve,
Awesome find !
Can you give us some details .For instance : how deep it was
and was it a plowed field or a pasture find?
Was it a hat , a coat ,or a horse harness insignia ?
HH
Rammjäger

If im not mistaken it was at about six inches. I do know it was next to the lip of a foundation that had many small trees on that side and was very tough to swing the coil. This place was pounded in the past and someone just didnt get into those tight areas otherwise i may have never found it. This is one of my spots i go during the winter months and is about a 45 minute walk to get to.

Thanks IP for the info on it. It is to bad the website that i seen it on didnt have a pic of the reverse of it. I was excited to even see it posted somewhere. I know that there could be speculation on it by the pros and many would have there own oppinion on what it actually went to. When i first found it i thought is was for a saddle myself just by the way the two posts were on the back. But any ones i seen that were cival war had the posts side by side and not up and down like mine. I truley appreciate your oppinion on this item IP and maybe you could pass the pics to your buddy that collects that stuff and see what he might say. I am up for any and all suggestions on it cause it seems i could be at a standstill with it. If i didnt see it on that website it would have been sitting in the heap of buttons and bridal rosettes and possibly i would have just thought it was to a saddle and it had a cool design. Thanks again IP i always like to hear your input on pieces like this. steve

I'd have to go digging to try to come up with his email, plus it feels like it just wouldn't make sense because I am already sure of the answer. That being said, Don Troiani puts his email out there for both buying, and info. too I would imagine, so you could write him and ask if he knows how it was used. Even he might only suggest a use, but at least then you can be sure it has no direct 23rd Regiment connection. His email is [email protected] He'll no doubt give you a very short, to the point answer, but that's all you're looking for anyway.

PS: He is very good friends with the 23rd collector, so if you did have a 23rd badge you can be 100% sure he'd be asking to buy it. That reminds me, if it was Rev War 23rd, $750 is way too low! I have sold two 23rd buttons for $800 each. and probably could held out for a grand given the quality. So again, no regimental markings, no regimental connection, at least on that piece. Do I wish you luck and hope I'm wrong.... absolutely!

I'd have to go digging to try to come up with his email, plus it feels like it just wouldn't make sense because I am already sure of the answer. That being said, Don Troiani puts his email out there for both buying, and info. too I would imagine, so you could write him and ask if he knows how it was used. Even he might only suggest a use, but at least then you can be sure it has no direct 23rd Regiment connection. His email is [email protected] He'll no doubt give you a very short, to the point answer, but that's all you're looking for anyway.

PS: He is very good friends with the 23rd collector, so if you did have a 23rd badge you can be 100% sure he'd be asking to buy it. That reminds me, if it was Rev War 23rd, $750 is way too low! I have sold two 23rd buttons for $800 each. and probably could held out for a grand given the quality. So again, no regimental markings, no regimental connection, at least on that piece. Do I wish you luck and hope I'm wrong.... absolutely!

Thanks again IP. I sent Don an email early this morning and with a pic and i will have to wait and see if he mails back.

Thanks again IP. I sent Don an email early this morning and with a pic and i will have to wait and see if he mails back.

He usually replies to everything so you should hear back.

This thread made me think of a find I dug 7 or 8 years ago.

Attachments

• pofw.jpg
    pofw.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 5,827
If im not mistaken it was at about six inches. I do know it was next to the lip of a foundation that had many small trees on that side and was very tough to swing the coil. This place was pounded in the past and someone just didnt get into those tight areas otherwise i may have never found it. This is one of my spots i go during the winter months and is about a 45 minute walk to get to.

You could really say this relic was just waiting not for
someone else but for you alone - Well done!

You could really say this relic was just waiting not for
someone else but for you alone - Well done!

I have been very fortunate at some of my finds from this area including a powder flask with someones initials engraved, a gold locket from early 1800's, a 1867 over a 67 Indian head and a1787 Ct copper in amazing shape that i would still like IP to Id it. Ive had a few places look at it and said its a rare one. Thanks for checking out the thread HH. steve

I have been very fortunate at some of my finds from this area including a powder flask with someones initials engraved, a gold locket from early 1800's, a 1867 over a 67 Indian head and a1787 Ct copper in amazing shape that i would still like IP to Id it. Ive had a few places look at it and said its a rare one. Thanks for checking out the thread HH. steve

Post the link or some pics. Is it good enough to ID? I'm being lazy today (for things that count) so will take a look. 1787 has a lot of varieties! Well I guess not too lazy as I did clean up a bit and now the Hoarders crew can cancel the shoot.

While going through this thread, I remembered a find I got earlier this year and it looks very similar to the OP's.
picture.php

I am now very curious to find out what this actually is! :D

While going through this thread, I remembered a find I got earlier this year and it looks very similar to the OP's.
picture.php

I am now very curious to find out what this actually is! :D

Awesome, lets see a pic of the back of it or is it the same as mine? steve

I'm not at home right now to take a pic of the back but if I remember correctly, the back looks exactly like yours does. When I get home I'll pull it out to check. If it is different I'll post a pic of it.

Back
Top Bottom