• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Funny Things that Happen While Detecting

What ya doing

I had this guy come up to me in our local park while swinging my MXT. He asked me if that thing really worked. I was tempted to say no, it does nothing at all,but I told him yes it does work, and explained a few of the features on the display. So he proceeds to do a test by throwing down a few pennies in the grass, I find them no problem, then he gets a few nickels and dimes and throws them down, and I find them. not hard as you can see them sitting there on the grass. Then he starts pulling out a few quarters. I pick all of them up. I was wondering when he would figure out how stupid it was to be just throwing away his change. He was apprently satisfied that it does really work, and he walks off. I got over a bucks worth of change off of him.. I thought about asking him to keep going, as I need to practice using it more.
Right after that the park guy came over and told me to leave as he had a hard enough time keeping the grass green without me digging it all up.. Oh well. I go there on the weekends now, as the parks guys are off on the weekends.

I had a litle 8 year old girl pestering me the other day, but I was nice and let her follow me along, and gave her some of the pennies and nickels. I ws glad I was not rude when I found out she lived across the street and her mom works with my wife. I guess they were wondering about the older creepy guy hanging out at the park lately.....At least now they know who i am and wont call the cops.... haha...

I met my wife detecting at the beach.
She kept getting too close to me and her detector was driving mine crazy.
We have been together and detecting 10 plus years.
P.S. I`m shure she knows the exact date.

I went into town the other day to MD some grassy areas next to a side street.
After parking and getting my MD out, I start swinging to see what I can find.
It's at that time that I hear someone yelling.
I take off my earphones and hear a man across the street from me yelling "you have to start it first". I thought he was talking to someone else until he said "Oh, that is a metal detecter......I thought it was a weed wacker".

the funny pull tab.

After hunting for an hour or so I finally get a promising signal I dig down 2 inches and all I get is a pull tab that says "Try again" from a soda contest a few minutes later another one pops out of the same contest that said "Free refreshment" I said darn the contest expiered last year what a shame.:p

On my first real hunt ....

we were working some fields along the Hudson River at an important Revolutionary War site. As I'm walking along I spot what would likely startle anyone ... a skeleton ... minus the head ... fully intact was the legs, pelvis, rib cage and "arms" ... My immediate reaction is "OH CRAP!!" .... my mindset was initially human because there was a small 18th century cemetery plot in a small grove of trees in the middle of the field plus we were hunting on a site where a British Field Hospital had sat directly across the river and close to the ferry landing. I jumped on the cell phone and called my hunting partners to come over where I was. We found the skull about 10 feet away which satisfied our suspicions .... deer carcass.

Funny Things that Happen While DetectingI used

I used to be bugged at parks, until I started Headphones. Now when someone comes up and asks a question, I just shrug my shoulders and point to the 'phones. They get bored when I find nothing, and leave. Funny thread!:lol:

I was hunting a park the other day when a kid about 7 years old asked me what I was looking for. I said treasure. He asked what kind of treasure. I said pirate treasure. He thought for a minute then asked if I had a treasure map. I told him if I had a treasure map I wouldn't need my metal detector. About an hour later I was walking to my truck when he runs up and says he found treasure. He found a dime and 2 pennies on the ground in a picnic area.

Discovery

Hello all!

In a forest picnic groove, after many pulltabs, I got a better signal in a clean area. As I dug up the object, I noticed the word "Discovery" written on it. It was the bottlecap of a Vodka bottle...:p Unfortunately it didn't had any bottle attached to it. What a discovery! :spin:

Last edited by a moderator:
i had some kid ask me if i was the "pipe man" while detecting at a park

i said "yeah, theres a busted pipe here on this bench i gotta fix it later"(i was detecting near a bench)

had a couple come up to me and ask if i had found a million dollars yet i said"most dollar bills are cotton based, you cant find cotton with a metal detector, but i did find a rolex and 20$ in clad yesterday"

they looked at me weird, oh well

I was detecting a set of baseball fields around the concession area during a few practices and had a little kid follow me while I detected... somehow he managed to find a broken rake, just the head of it, no handle. He began running around scraping at the ground trying to find coins before I could get to them lol. He anctually managed to find about a dollar in surface change, but not without destroying about 30 patches of grass.... Now I look like the bad guy for detecting!! I located maintanence and grounds and showed them my holes (barely visible if at all) and then the damage done by the kid.... they said "no worries, we know it wasn't you. you dig nice clean plugs and it's rare we can find a hole you left." Word from the wise, be wary of kids with digging implements lol.

I've recently been hunting a park near Santa Cruz. Every day around two o'clock an old man with a really mean looking pit bull shows up with a "tall boy" Budwiser in a sack. He lets the dog off the leash while he sits and has his beer.

The dog just looks mean. In fact, it's very friendly. I made the mistake of petting it once, and now it immediately runs over to me and follows me around while I detect. When I start to recover a target, the dog just lays down to watch...like he's hoping I'll dig up a bone or something.:lol:

I've started carrying a couple of dog treats with me now. We're "buddies".:lol:

I didn't describe it very well, but it's funny.

While detecting with a friend at a local park, several small boys came over and asked us what we were lookin for. I said old coins. He said like these?
He reached into his pocket and pulled out about a dozen Indian Head pennies, V nickels, and Mercury dimes. I asked where he got them, and he said they found them under their tree house, but they wouldn't tell us where it was. We figured that we would wait until thye went home and follow them. I guess some kids never have to go home like we did.

I havent really been at this long enough to get alot of people around me yet, but working in EMS (For those of you who dont know what that means, it means I work in an Ammalance and no im not spelling that wrong, thats how most people around here pronounce it. :roll: But when youre in trouble I save you) I have alot of friends on the Sheriffs Department. One of which is the Captain of the SWAT Team and the SWAT Team have a few guys in there that went for training and make up the Bomb Squad. So I got him to give me one of their T-Shirts that says "****** County Bomb Squad" on the back. (****= the name of my county) I havent had anyone walk up to me yet or ask me anything, they just stare from a distance and pull thier kids close. :lol:

on the beach the other day some guy tossed his car keys out in front of me as a joke. I swept over them anyways and said "hey sir there's your keys", acting as serious as i could to make him feel awkward. He gave me that dumb look you get when you don't understand what is going on as i walked away.

Looking for Dead Fish

Okay, last summer I was at a local beach and not long into the hunt a very nice Indian lady with two children came up to me, it was obvious they were on holidays she could speak reasonable English but the kids non from what I could tell, she asked me what I was doing, without even thinking about it I told here I was looking for dead fish, she then translated this to her kids, they all smiled, said thank you and walked off. I felt guilty for the rest of the day and still do not feel to happy about my answer, but it just came out.:roll:

Since summer is on the way, you are going to experience people coming up and trying to talk to you and ask what you're doing. How do you handle these busybodies? What do you say?

For instance, we were out detecting a beach and two young ladies came over and asked if I was looking for radioactive material!

Several times we have been accused of "clamming" in the off season. :lol:

Let's hear some things that people have said to you, asked you, or some funny experiences.

As I was MDing at the swimming pool park a guy hollered across the street, "You finding any gold?" "Nope, I answered, but the aluminmum is giving me fits." He got a chuckle out of that.

Seems everyone is curious and wants to know what you're doing. I usually tell them I'm dirt fishing, taking worm census, sweeping for land mines or some equally goofy answer. I suspect they just think I'm NUTS! Guess what; I knew that first. HH

I have even heard of a couple people having little kids put coins in there pouch because they are the poor desperate old man looking for coins in the ground to help pay for his dinner.

Back in the early 80's I tried doing some night hunting my favorite park to hopefully avoid the kids and general traffic.

Nearly every night somebody living by the park turned in a "suspicious person in the park" call to the police. So, the state troopers would pull up and shine their spotlight on me. I'd walk over and tell them what I was doing, etc. They'd laugh and drive off.

One night a young trooper asked me if I was spearing frogs.

Well, this soon got a bit old. Every night the same old thing.

Finally two sergeants came to check me out and they weren't nice (understatement). I thought they were going to take me in. I made the mistake of asking if they were new (I meant new to covering that area) and one shouted NO WE ARE NOT NEW! I thought he was going to belt me.

Since they had no legal reason to take me in they left but watched me from their car.

I thought this is enough and left. That was the end of my night hunts.

But I thought the frog spearing thing was funny.

Badger

Back
Top Bottom