Funny Things that Happen While Detecting

hey Dad,why is that guy....

I was at a beach and a young boy asked his Dad, why is that guy weed whacking the sand!!! it was funny!!!! lol!!!

A friend and I were hunting a park last week and two young crackheads? came up and asked if we were using mushroom detectors! They thought we were mushroom hunting!

Jeez I must be scary cause I never have anyone come talk to me except a nice man who chatted with me about a girl who lost her engagement ring there a few years prior.

I was detecting a private property.. someone asked how my luck was going.. it really wasnt going good (only found about 10 pennies) so the guy threw a handful of coins in the yard, said have fun and walked away... i was speechless :laughing:

I once had a man come up to me at the beach and say, "I know where you can find a $20 bill with that machine."

He was somewhat red faced with bloodshot eyes.......obviously slightly inebriated.

I thought to myself, "You realize this is a METAL detector, right?"........but instead I said to him, "How?"

Long story short, he needed me to find his property corner stakes. He lived behind a bar and wanted to erect a fence to stop people from parking in his back yard.

Well, I notched out everything I could except for the irons. Twenty minutes later the two stakes were found and I was leaving with the $20 bill.

most kids are polite and fun to talk to and explain what i am doing to, but sometimes boys in the 9 to 12 year range can be a real pain.
once while detecting a large tot lot ( and having great success ) a car pulls up and out piles 4 or 5 kids and their mother. they all pretty much ignored me except the oldest boy. Maybe 12 or 13. not wanting to go trough the usual question and answer session, i did my best to ignore and avoid him. But he continued to follow me at a safe distance and seemed very intent on everything i did.
When they were all getting in the car to leave i saw him speak briefly to his mother and then he came running back to me and handed me a quarter and said
"here mister i hope this helps" and he ran back to the car and left!
I put that clad quarter in a cardboard protector and i will never spend it. Helps my perspective.
HH Ed in co.

Helps your perspective?

How?

That the kid thought you were so poor you had to search for lost change?

I got shot at with a shotgun twice by my lovely neighbour yesterday while detecting. I'll give him back every piece of shot i find from my land. :p

He wasn't aiming at me though... i think... :roll:

Not so much funny things that happen, but when I'm out in a field, I'll get people asking us what were doing and what not. Had one guy ask if we had permission to MD.

Funny stuff people!

I also remember a friend of ours telling us that while he was detecting a beach in Canada, there was a group of kids following him around and burying cans in his path. :lol:

Anybody ever have clad tossed at ya? Sometimes I get the feeling people drop coins purposely when they see me detecting. :?:

Yep, that has happened a few times, if they are being super obnoxous, I tell them quit being so cheap, and throw down some 50 cent pieces or silver and gold. They usually look startled. :lol:

Kids have seen me out detecting & maybe noticed the pennies I dig up are different colors. Perhaps they thought I preferred them that way. And they've noticed me testing my various detectors in the back yard & not finding anything. So what did they do? Spread a roll of pennies around the back yard, after they *painted* them! HH, George (MN)

Awww tooo sweat! Like colored easter eggs! I throw stuff in my own back yard just for the practice.

geese poo over pennies

I got a nice dime/quarter signal 3'' deep. Problem was, there was a dog turd right on the top. I still wonder what was in that plug:no:

Ive noticed that geese seem to poo over pennies, but than again they poo everywhere...
and squirrels like to bury acorns on bits of foil.... Ive yet to see a squirrel seal a meal an acorn, Im not that crazy yet.

Yep, that has happened a few times, if they are being super obnoxous, I tell them quit being so cheap, and throw down some 50 cent pieces or silver and gold. They usually look startled. :lol:

I would take one of those fake gold bars and show them... look what
I have just found ! :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom